Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is Dedicated Satnav Reaching The End Of The Road?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Dedicated Satnav Reaching The End Of The Road?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayengee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Smartphone Vs GPS Reply with quote

I recently bought an HTC Desire and like the mapping facility but in all honesty I can't see it replacing my Satnav. My Garmin is now several years old and I'm considering replacing it. The big problem with smartphones is battery life. I'm still having to recharge mine daily even though I'm not a huge user of it. The big advantage of the Satnav is the camera database and the custom POI's. Some of the postcode searches haven't been too accurate, but at least it gets you into the right area. Like others on the Forum, I often use my GPS simply for the camera warnings locally, and I do a database update immediately prior to a long trip, even those I do regularly, simply because the roadworks average speed cameras are up to date.
danjackson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Agree completely... Reply with quote

Tobas wrote:
My recently out of warranty, constantly rebooting pile of crap better known as a 950 Live will be my last dedicated device. I'll be buying TomTom for iPhone and use my remaining Live Services subscription with it. The only downside for me is that my iPhone isn't my work phone and most of the time I need hands-free with my work mobile, which the 950 gives me and the iPhone won't. I guess I'll just have to dig out an old bluetooth headset.

I have TT for the iPhone 4, unlike my Go Live 750 no constant reboots and looping, I will never go back to a standalone satnav device.....For experience users TT shot themselves in the foot with this range!
ianbet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: PND Forever Reply with quote

Long live the PND leave the mobile for phone calls, messages and sado's that have to have them by their side every waking moment.
s3elan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PND's are they dead?
In my opinion no they are not. I have used tom tom 6 and pocket GPS speed cams for many years. I have a dedicated Ipaq 2210 permanently installed in my car with amplifier. Same as a PND. I have tried various smart phones none of which perform as solidly as the PDA. Mine has been bomb proof. God help you if you are using a smart phone and a call / message comes in just as you are getting to a complicated city road junction. I intend to stick with my trusty PDA for a while longer. Thanks for the great speed cam files. Never drive anywhere without them.
Parish_Church
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Is Dedicated Satnav Reaching The End Of The Road? Reply with quote

Whilst I find it convenient to have Satnav on my Smartphone (HTC HD2 with 4.3inch screen) I would not consider giving up my PND (TomTom 920T).

On the HTC I use Sygic's Mobile Maps 10 which has full voice direction but I still find the programme less 'user friendly' than TomTom and adding the PocketGPS camera data is somewhat fiddly. That said it does provide a very useful backup and is much better for out of car use so I guess there will be room for both for some time to come

Highwayman
richardt63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two problems with smart phones as GPS: the screen is too small and you need a data connection. I travel in Europe on business and am self-employed so I don't use the smart phone for naviagtion overseas as the cost of the data is way too high.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardt63 wrote:
Two problems with smart phones as GPS: the screen is too small and you need a data connection.

There are some SmartPhones with screens that are large enough for use in a car, downside it makes them rather difficult for use as a Phone!

As for needing a data connection that is not true, any decent sat nav package for use on a mobile phone is supplied with the map stored on the device, as long as you don't want traffic data/ google search options etc then once its purchased there are no charges associated with using it on the phone - Mike
nbPoppy121
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
For me I won't use Navigon on my iPhone even though it is a well thought out bit of software, even with a Mio GPS Mount and Speaker Cradle it is no where as quick finding (or holding) a GPS fix. It also takes way longer to set up and if a phone call comes in when you are not too sure of your surroundings, all hell breaks loose

If you use sat nav now and again, a SmartPhone App is great, it is also a worthwhile back-up in case everything goes wrong, or you simply leave your PND somewhere

If you use you sat nav on multi-routes per day, I don't think - for the time being anyway - you will beat a PND

I totally agree. I have Tomtom, Copilot 8 and Google on my iPhone which are fine for occasional use. I use Tomtom 1000 and give it full marks for daily multi location use.
drifter410
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: ipad as a PND Reply with quote

My TomTom maps are now over due for update. But I am delaying updated because I will be looking at purchasing a ipad 2, and purchasing sat nav software for it. I have a laptop cradle to fit the ipad, and will mainly use it on my motorhome. Giving me a large displayed amps hopefully. Any comments or experienced problems, please let me know
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People on this forum are a savvy lot but it'll only be a minority of drivers overall who have smart phones and they'll always want PNDs.

Me, I've had a couple of PNDs over the years but much prefer the convenience of a single, easily-portable device. I never have to cart a PND with me or risk leaving it in the car.

TomTom Nav 6 and 7 worked well enough on XDAs, now I have TomTom on an iPhone 4 (with the pgpsw camera database and countless custom POIs). Have also tried CoPilot on all of them and Navigon on iPhone but have always finished up reverting to TomTom, with all its faults. I use Cameralert when I don't need navigation (and yes, mods, I've written a review on iTunes!).

I've used phone nav all over the world and find the screen plenty big enough. I have an active holder in my own car, so it's easy to keep the phone charged (in fact, I rarely have to bother charging it between trips). In rental cars, for my XDAs, a bean-bag holder worked well. For my iPhone, I take my Arkon iPhone car kit with me (and a vent mount, not the windscreen sucker - it's illegal to put the phone in the windscreen in some US states).

I can see the attraction of PNDs but they're not for me. I look forward to the day when the smartphone becomes fully integrated into cars, hooking up to their displays, sound systems, etc. See the current issue of PC Pro for a very interesting article on the subject.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrGumby wrote:
I look forward to the day when the smartphone becomes fully integrated into cars, hooking up to their displays, sound systems, etc. See the current issue of PC Pro for a very interesting article on the subject.

Also take a look at this from last month: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/VNC-Announces-Automotive-Solution-For-Smartphones-2945.php

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrGumby wrote:
I use Cameralert when I don't need navigation (and yes, mods, I've written a review on iTunes!).

It can run when you have navigation active too. And thanks for the review.
Quote:
I look forward to the day when the smartphone becomes fully integrated into cars, hooking up to their displays, sound systems, etc. See the current issue of PC Pro for a very interesting article on the subject.

I wrote about RealVNCs work in this area last month.

Ah I see MaFt pipped me to the post. Must type faster Surprised
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I wrote about RealVNCs work in this area last month.

Don't know how I missed that. Great stuff!
wildcard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: PND v Smartphone v Inbuilt Reply with quote

I choose my Nokia N8 largely on its sat nav capability - but not as a replacement for my TomTom 940 . I use the Nokia as an electronic AtoZ -so in town , on foot or when using public transport . ( I do like the Wake-Up app to stop me missing my station ! ) . But - the Nokia still can't compete with the TT - particularly in the speed to acquire a GPS fix . In the City of London for example I sometimes can't get a fix at all.
My feeling is the standalone car device will eventually be replaced by inbuild sat nav - once people like BMW & Mercedes realise you can't continue to get away with charging an extra £1500 for a £200 add-on.
If they were smart - the device would include a SIM , not just for a traffic subscription but for text messages from the manufacturer eg special offers , advertising accessories , new car launches , servicing promotions from nearby dealership garages , map updates , petrol prices , warning of future bad weather etc.
Updates via removable SD as well - so could double as an MP3 player .
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: PND v Smartphone v Inbuilt Reply with quote

wildcard wrote:
But - the Nokia still can't compete with the TT - particularly in the speed to acquire a GPS fix.

My feeling is the standalone car device will eventually be replaced by inbuild sat nav - once people like BMW & Mercedes realise you can't continue to get away with charging an extra £1500 for a £200 add-on.

For what it's worth, my iPhone 4 gets a quick GPS fix and hangs on to it, so TomTom runs well on it.

Couldn't agree more about cost of built-in sat nav. I resisted all the salesman's attempts to get me to pay a silly price for it on my 5-Series. Even if you get half back when you sell, it's still way over-priced. Not only is the initial price silly but they charge more for a map update than TomTom do for a mid-range PND. And you can't add custom POIs or take it walkabout. Makes the cost of a TT/Arkon car kit for the iPhone plus Brodit Proclip look trivial. In fact, it even makes the iPhone look cheap!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: