Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Our worries are over ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Our worries are over ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Our worries are over ? Reply with quote

I see that Satmap are offering blank SD cards, to back up your exisiting maps, and not before time I say, as I was never happy with the thought of an expensive insurance claim one day, maybe.
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are these different from blank SD cards you can buy anywhere ? You still need your original card to run the map off.
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'S' in SD stands for Secure. The Satmap cards are keyed to the data and as I understand it this means that you can't just copy your data onto the card and have a working copy. In which case they are just selling Satmap branded cards at about twice the price of decent SDHC cards from Amazon.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: What ? Reply with quote

Satmap high quality, blank SD & HC SD cards are ideal for data backup and storage. Provided with the Satmap own label, these cards are prefect for backing up your valuable MapCard mapping and Route data.

Whilst licencing regulations & encryption do not allow 2nd copies of the map data to be used in the Active10 products, a safe backup is always sensible if your primary data becomes corrupt for any reason.

A spare Satmap SD card also allows you to share your favourite routes and POIs in an easy and portable format.

Hang on...I read this that if I lose my card, I can pop this backup in my device...no ?
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What ? Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
Satmap high quality, blank SD & HC SD cards are ideal for data backup and storage. Provided with the Satmap own label, these cards are prefect for backing up your valuable MapCard mapping and Route data.

Whilst licencing regulations & encryption do not allow 2nd copies of the map data to be used in the Active10 products, a safe backup is always sensible if your primary data becomes corrupt for any reason.

A spare Satmap SD card also allows you to share your favourite routes and POIs in an easy and portable format.

Hang on...I read this that if I lose my card, I can pop this backup in my device...no ?

Hmm.............it all seems a bit of a muddle,or poorly explained at least.

It does seem to read as F-F says but I was also under the impression you couldn't copy your maps.

You can always back up to your maps to your computer for free as long as you copy them back to the original card.

Ian
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody asked SatMap to clarify?
Satsync 1.525
Paul_Duck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: What ? Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:

Hmm.............it all seems a bit of a muddle,or poorly explained at least.

It does seem to read as F-F says but I was also under the impression you couldn't copy your maps.

You can always back up to your maps to your computer for free as long as you copy them back to the original card.

Ian

thats my interpretation as well, the maps are encrypted and locked to the card their sold on therefore only point in backing up would be in case you accidentally deleted the map on the original card. I see no point in backing up to another card when you may a swell just back up to a computer anyway
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have e-mailed Satmap,will keep everyone informed as to the reply.

Ian
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the prompt reply was:-

"Thanks for your enquiry. I can confirm that the SD-cards we are selling are standard blank SD-cards that can be used in the Active10 to back up routes and POIs off the internal memory.

You can also use them to back up the mapping data in the event that the card becomes corrupted you could send the .MAP file into us and we could re-sign it for you.

Kind regards,

Andrew Revill"

Ian
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: How ? Reply with quote

Any chance of a little more detail...how to copy over...how to get it 'resigned', (do you have to send it away?)....so I can't use it straight away ? etc. Thanks.
Paul_Duck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How ? Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
Any chance of a little more detail...how to copy over...how to get it 'resigned', (do you have to send it away?)....so I can't use it straight away ? etc. Thanks.

I suspect their software opens the map file and writes the ID of a new memory card to it, so it then matches the new card.
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much as I though - expensive standard SD cards.

In answer to Frequent Flyer - you can just copy the files like any other by putting the card dinto a SD card reader (may need one that handles SDHC). So you can keep them on a PC, backup to disk or memory stick or copy them to another SD card. If your Satmap card gets corrupted, you can send the backed up files to Satmap and, for a fee, theywill write them to a new Secure card.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this official from Satmap?

If I back up all my maps to a single card and send it off, will they make them operational, like consolidation?

What would stop me from selling the original on ebay?
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
Is this official from Satmap?

If I back up all my maps to a single card and send it off, will they make them operational, like consolidation?

What would stop me from selling the original on ebay?

Perhaps you have to send the original back as well,they rejig the backed up files to make them useable and keep the original.

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: