Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice/Pointers for a first time owner
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice/Pointers for a first time owner
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobstopper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Advice/Pointers for a first time owner Reply with quote

I am about to replace an ageing copy of TT Navigator (on an even more aged PocketPC) with a stand-alone device.

Having used the TT Navigator version I am happy to stay with TT in general and based on what I'd like it to do and the budget I have at my disposal I am looking at getting a GO750 device and also plan to subscribe to the PocketGPS speed camera database. Despite having used Navigator over the years I am treating myself as a first-time owner and would therefore like to pose the following to the more experienced members of this forum.

When I finally get my hands on one, what should I do next?

It Might seem like to stupid question to ask, but having browsed through the forum today there are clearly questions to be asked, regarding things like map updates (reports of there not being enough space to store them from what I've seen), storage cards and what have you.

Will I need a storage card from day 1?
What size will the device support?
Any brands/sizes I should avoid?
Things like that...

Any and all advice will be appreciated.
Many Thanks in advance.
Phil.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes if you want the full complement of maps, try:-

http://tinyurl.com/676ukxf

Good price for a class 6 SDHC, anything bigger in a 750 is overkill
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a full Windows Explorer backup of the device before you do anything to it.
Download the latest TomTom Home_2 software and use that to update the application on the device, you might have to do this update more than once until it shows 9,058 which is currently the latest.

Copy everything from the device to a 4GB class 6 MicroSD card, insert the card and let the device power up.

Switch the TomTom off and pop the MicroSD card in to a card reader and use TomTom Home to update the maps as per the following step, Note it should be possible to use Home to update the map with the memory card in the device but Home seems to be unreliable in performing this basic feature so I always advise to use a card reader.

Use the Latest Map Guarantee to get the latest map (currently v865)

Make another full Windows Explorer backup.

Add the PGPSW speed camera files and remove the useless TomTom Safety camera files (if you want to).

For further advice/ guides on backing the unit up, installing the PGPSW Speed camera files and removing the TomTom camera files see the FAQ page in the sticky threads near the top of this forum index page - Mike
gobstopper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - Excellent! Thank you - that was the kind of thing I was hoping for.

Ian - Thanks for your link, but alas it does not work. It only takes me to the Play.com home page.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ian's link was for the 4GB Class 6 microSD card that you presumably need if you want to load ALL the maps - same price as at Amazon.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I think Ian's link was for the 4GB Class 6 microSD card

Nope, just the home page for me.

I was going to paste a link but it might be better to search that site (and others!) yourself - I found the search function a bit flaky.
Searching for "4gb micro sd" included several USB Flash Drives and an Apple MacBook Pro in the results, and there was only one SDHC card and one Micro HDSC card mentioned.

however, neither of them have the speed rating (the "class") mentioned in the description!!!
It's printed on the card itself, but the images are too blurry to read it. I wouldn't trust a company that didn't think it was important enough to mention....

They didn't seem that cheap either, but I'll admit I haven't researched prices recently.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the link failed because they've put the price up, I ordered 2 last week when they were £6.49 each which was good timing for a change Laughing try this link

Andy_P wrote:

however, neither of them have the speed rating (the "class") mentioned in the description!!!
It's printed on the card itself, but the images are too blurry to read it. I wouldn't trust a company that didn't think it was important enough to mention....

They didn't seem that cheap either, but I'll admit I haven't researched prices recently.

Play discribes this as a Samsung 4GB SD / SDHC Plus Extreme Speed Memory Card / Class 6

Sorry, ignore all of this, I've linked to a regular SD Card Embarassed , I think I'll go back to sleep now ZZZzzzzz...
gobstopper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:

Play discribes this as a Samsung 4GB SD / SDHC Plus Extreme Speed Memory Card / Class 6

It's OK Ian, I guessed that it was the Samsung one, given that it was the result I got back from Google against the search "4Gb MicroSDHC Class 6" and there was an identical product available on Amazon (as also mentioned in this thread). When I ordered it from Play it was still £6.49.

Ironically, I've conspired to get the GO750 delivered to the office and the memory card to my home address. So, in order to follow Mike's guidelines, I shall need to wait until I get home (hoping the package has arrived) before I can really do anything with it.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hold your breath, my memory cards were posted on 5th but I guessing they're still skulling around somewhere in the back of Postman Pat's van Rolling Eyes
gobstopper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Switch the TomTom off and pop the MicroSD card in to a card reader and use TomTom Home to update the maps as per the following step, Note it should be possible to use Home to update the map with the memory card in the device but Home seems to be unreliable in performing this basic feature so I always advise to use a card reader.
- Mike

Having taken delivery of my microSD card today, I'm now going through your recommended set-up procedure. The original contents of the TomTom have been copied to my PC. I've then copied the same to my card, inserted it into the GO750 and then reached this step of your process.

Switching off the TomTom, I've taken the card out and placed it into my card reader. Slightly surprised to see TomTom Home start up automatically, but it did and I used the MyTomTom credentials to log in.

The first thing it asked me was whether I wanted to link the device. Considering at this point you have suggested updating directly to the card, the device is not connected to my PC. I hit cancel and then got an error from Home (which I assume is because the device isn't connected).

Restarting Home to see if I encountered the same, it didn't seem to worry about the fact that the device wasn't connected and has immediately taken me to a "Getting updates automatically" screen. However, the only updates available are an update to the TT Go application, QuickGPSfix and a host of speed camera updates (by country).

Not sure whether to carry on or whether I've done something incorrect...
gobstopper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

- Mike

Having taken delivery of my microSD card today, I'm now going through your recommended set-up procedure. The original contents of the TomTom have been copied to my PC. I've then copied the same to my card, inserted it into the GO750 and then reached this step of your process.

Switching off the TomTom, I've taken the card out and placed it into my card reader. Slightly surprised to see TomTom Home start up automatically, but it did and I used the MyTomTom credentials to log in.

The first thing it asked me was whether I wanted to link the device. Considering at this point you have suggested updating directly to the card, the device is not connected to my PC. I hit cancel and then got an error from Home (which I assume is because the device isn't connected).

Restarting Home to see if I encountered the same, it didn't seem to worry about the fact that the device wasn't connected and has immediately taken me to a "Getting updates automatically" screen. However, the only updates available are an update to the TT Go application, QuickGPSfix and a host of speed camera updates (by country).

Not sure whether to carry on or whether I've done something incorrect...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update the software on the card until TomTom Home is happy that you have the latest (v9,058) then go to Tools/ Use Latest Map Guarantee from the options across the top of the Home application - Mike
gobstopper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Much appreciated Very Happy

I ran the update to the GO software and QuickGPSfix. When it finished I was prompted to restart the navigation device manually because it had not been able to do so automatically (unsurprising as I'm working from the card rather than the device). Unplugged the card reader, re-connected, but Home seems not to be able to see it - even though Windows Explorer is quite happy that it is present and I can see it's contents.

Restarted Home, but unlike last time it has loaded without any apparent recognition of the card.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the card in the TomTom and switch the device on, let it boot then turn it off again, put the card back in the reader and try to update the software again, if Home is happy the software is of the latest standard you can try the LMG next - Mike
gobstopper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-formatted the card and re-copied the original windows explorer backup. Launching Home, it recognised the card as a device and prompted me to update. I proceeded, but found once the update had finished Home couldn't see it any more (prompting me to disconnect and reconnect). Tried this several times without success, so the card was re-formatted again and the original files re-copied. Once again, Home was happy to recognise, but instead of performing a full update, I only updated the GPSQuickFix. This process finished and Home was still happy with the card. I stopped and restarted Home and it was still OK.

So this time I tried to update the GO software and, once again, when it finished the update, Home claimed not to be able to see anything. Again, several attempts made no difference.

Re-formatted the card, re-copied the original files and Home was happy again. I can only tie this behaviour in with the update process. As soon as the update is complete, Home is no longer able to see the card. Really not sure how to proceed from here - should I try to run mapshare without updating the GO software?...

My primary concern is that if the update leaves Home unable to see the card, what will happen if I then put the card into the device?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: