Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: Garmin nuvi 2360LT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: Garmin nuvi 2360LT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reviewed: Garmin nuvi 2360LT Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comLet me come clean from the very start and say that I have used satnav's for a very long time, I was an early adopter and so it's been a little over 12 years since I first owned my own GPS and a few more years on top of that since I first used one, a briefcase sized military model.

Although the first GPS I bought was a Garmin, the venerable GPS8 handheld (the 8 = 8 channels compared to 24+ these days), and I owned a Garmin II, III, V and a couple of Streetpilots after that, I've favoured TomTom ever since the Classic was launched. But I always put my personal preferences aside when reviewing a product.

It's important that our reviews are honest and not clouded by personal preferences for one manufacturer or another. And so it is all the more worthy of comment that I try and convey how impressed I have been with Garmin's nüvi 2360, reviewed here.

Click here to read the review...

Last edited by Darren on Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's mentioned in the review but I think it needs highlighting - I have NEVER seen/heard Darren praise a Garmin device so highly!

MaFt
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they have finally ditched their horrible "blue on purple" color (colour) schemes. Good riddance!

Quote:
I'm still unconvinced as to the genuine usefulness of being able to navigate to a photo.

This is useful in dense urban environments with less than stellar house numberings. Like, any city in the US. Google nav offer the streetview picture of your destination when you arrived, so you can visually match the entered address with what you see around you.

Since the Garmin supports BT they could have implemented a BT file exchange feature..

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to disagree, but I find Garmin's voice recognition is one of the worst I've come across, it regularly fails on certain places.

I've got a 3790 (yes another one!) & it doesn't recognize properly: Folkestone (Folk es tun), Exeter (it still exits & occasionally shutsdown) Twisted Evil

It's ridiculous, if TT can get it right, then they can or is it them being just lazy?

Maybe someone here may like to take this matter up with Garmin, because I've tried & got nowhere! Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite happy to disagree.

I've just tested both of those and it recognised them perfectly. I tried with "Folkestun" as we would pronounce it and it correctly identified it albeit the the TTS pronounces it when read back as "folk es tun".

And it recognised Exeter perfectly too.

As I didn't review a 3790 I cannot compare, but I'm happy that my opinion of Voce Command on the model I did review, the 2360, stands.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G - I disagree too! I tried using the TomTom one a few times on my Go 520 but never managed to even get a single address finished and that was indoors. It failed even more miserable when in the car with the engine on. I didn't even try it when driving.

The 3790T I reviewed worked perfectly every time, even blasting up the A1(M) at 70mph with music on a a car full of excited lads going paintballing.

I have no plans of going to Exeter or Folkestone as they are too southern for my liking. In other words, I've never tried them! However, Leeds, Bra'fud, 'uddersfield, Wakefield and 'eckmondwyke all worked fine.

MaFt
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really suprised by Darrens review, unless the software of my 2310 unit is a million miles away from the 2360, which I doubt

While the 2310 at around £130 is a decent navigator in its own right, putting it against my TomTom 1000 just shows it up for what it is - the whole thing seems like it from an age ago

But I guess different people like different things - I've always been a Garmin and Navman fan, and never liked TomTom, but now completely switched, as no other unit out there at the moment can - for me - live up to the superb TT 1000 experience

Obviously for Darren the opposite is true
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you haven't had a TomTom 910 then Very Happy

For me old person the 1000 series is a serious step back in functionality as well as UI clarity. (The Garmin UI is always good for a chuckle but at least it has gotten better over time)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But can you use Mapsource to do routes and then upload them to the device?

Alan
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can with the just releasing 2460's, so I expect the application update to allow the same for the 23xx, 37xx and 1695 should be around quite soon.
timsim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Navigation Order? Reply with quote

Thanks for an interesting review. I have been looking for a replacement for my unreliable TomTom for a while, and this could be the one.
I have steered clear of Garmin since I hired one 3 years ago from Avis and it failed to find 3 of 5 addresses in Canada.
The TomTom address order is City-Street-Number, and if there is no number, it gives an option to choose 'anywhere' or the nearest number.
The Garmin address order was Number-Street-City, and if it could not find the number it failed and you were left using city Center, useless!
Is this same with this Garmin Question
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a nuvi you've always been able to skip the number and go the the street entry itself. Or skip the number and street and go to the city. Or enter just the street and/or number and skip the city altogether. Or use just the 7 digit postal code in Canada, skipping everything else. TomTom allows little of this, not even allowing the full Canadian postal code for a search. If you think a street is in one city, but is actually in another you may not find it at all on a TomTom.
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review. I could be tempted. Does it have an Itinerary function like TomTom? I use Itinerary on TomTom extensively, especially for European travel and would not consider a device without such functionality.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itinerary planning can only be done on-board the 2360 using the TripPlanner function. The just releasing 2460's have already received an update that allows planning on the device itself, via Mapsource or Garmin's free Basecamp. The application update allowing the same for the 37xx, 23xx and 1695 is expected within a couple of weeks according to Garmin FAQ's
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamichea wrote:
Nice review. I could be tempted. Does it have an Itinerary function like TomTom? I use Itinerary on TomTom extensively, especially for European travel and would not consider a device without such functionality.

Yes, known as 'Trip Planner'. See Page 20 of the User Manual, linked in my review. The direct link is here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: