Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A solution for TTS pronunciation for Go models (Loquendo)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A solution for TTS pronunciation for Go models (Loquendo)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
called "something chk". Confused

I thought ".chk" was short for "chick", meaning it was a female voice.
So the male voices should really be dataxx.blk for 'bloke', but it doesn't seem to work that way. Confused

Wink
jamsie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: I will stick with Jane Reply with quote

Hi Dennis N and Wacky Races. Wow this is some debate, me i will be like Dennis N and just stick with what is on tom tom, i am used to it now although it is completly wrong , but hey lets leave it alone as with my superior skills of making a bodged job of things i will just keep reading this debate and solution, i find it facinating although i cant really get to grips with files etc, the enthusiasm of the people who do this kind of thing is amazing. I wish i was p.c literate but alas it is not for all of us.....look forward to a lively debate

your amateur

Jamsie Confused Confused Confused Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
dhn wrote:
Rex files can be opened with WordPad.

Or in notepad for that matter.

But can they be saved again without modifying the format in to a non Unix/Linux one that the TomTom Navcore won't understand. My experience with similar files on a Linux based S1 Tivo operating system is that you must use an editor that saves the files in a Linux compatible format (it all has to do with Carriage Returns and Line Feeds and the different ways they are used) or things won't work any more.

Generally any application that recognises the Unix / L|inux end of line characters so it displays it properly will write the file in the same format.

Generally Unix / Linux will recognise the Windows format.

It is just notepad that is ****!
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
ubercam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, this is a really interesting thread. Thanks for sharing the regexes!

Just a quick observation:
([A|B]) matches A B or |. It should be either (A|B) or ([AB]). Both achieve the exact same effect, but as the former has less characters I tend to prefer it.

Also, there's an awesome regex tester at regexpal.com which I've found handy. I made some changes because I prefer the following to reading out the numbers individually.

A421 = A four twenty one
A505 = A five oh five
A600 = A six hundred
A5025 = A fifty twenty five
A5205 = A fifty two oh five
A4100 = A fourty one hundred
A5005 = A five thousand five
A5000 = A five thousand

I also found that in a few places the rules seem to get ignored. Instead of "A four twenty one" it'll say "ah four hundred and twenty one". I've done the traces and I think it's to do with the stream having a comma right before A421 (like ,A421) which causes it to mispronounce. Changing the first group to (^|[, \t]+) seems to have fixed it, but introduces the additional problem of it saying semicolon in some places. The weirdest part is there is no semicolon in the stream.

Also, I found that I had to make different rules for A and B because it would constantly say "ah" instead of "eh". The problem I have now is that the TTS reads out the "eh" I've put in place of just letting it read the A is that it spells it out instead, ee aitch. With Vocalizer TTS, all you needed to fix A being said as "ah" that was one simple regex before the rest of them, A(\d+) = "eh \1". In trying to fix that, I also found that Loquendo doesn't recognize (\d) or (\D) (digit and non-digit characters) and forces you to use [0-9] type things instead. Not a deal breaker though.

Finally, how did you discover "\pause=120 \spell=no" and what does it do exactly? Does it affect the backreference (i.e. \4) before or after it, or the entire phrase or what? Also, what does \Nx do? I couldn't find any information online about it.

Thanks!
Cam
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still with us jamsie? Smile

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jamsie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Denis N of course i am still here Reply with quote

Dennis N do you think i would desert you, i have enrolled for OPEN UNIVERSITY on adding folders and files to my Tom Tom they say it may take me over 25 years of studying to complete the course. I bet Einstein would have a problem getting through this, to all the buffs i salute you...... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Denis N of course i am still here Reply with quote

jamsie wrote:
they say it may take me over 25 years of studying to complete the course.

We shall each have received the GPS chip implant, complete with bells and whistles, by then Laughing

I remember when GPS first came out and being navigated from A to B was considered to be fantastic.

Now, we expect to be guided from A to B, warned of speed camera locations, re-routed around traffic etc etc

We have also moved on from the miracle of being able to make a telephone call on the move to expecting mobile devices to do all that plus connect to the t'internet at full speed.

It's not all that long since we had quotes like:

Bill Gates, Co-founder and Chairman, Microsoft - wrote:
‘640K ought to be enough for anybody.’

Thomas Watson, Chairman IBM, 1943 - wrote:
‘I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.’

Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977 - wrote:
‘There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.’

....and look where we are now Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Denis N of course i am still here Reply with quote

jamsie wrote:
they say it may take me over 25 years of studying to complete the course
They are slightly exaggerating - the true timescale is one minute for every year of your age. Somewhat longer if you've been on the sauce! I've got past putting folders and files onto my TomTom, but this regex and linux stuff will never sink in. I've got a disk and two Linux books on the shelf behind me, never touched them and now I'm into Mac, so I never will.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Denis N of course i am still here Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Bill Gates, Co-founder and Chairman, Microsoft - wrote:
‘640K ought to be enough for anybody.’
In 1986, that 640K lasted me for two years, together with a Hard Disk of 20Mb!!

ubercam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I also fixed the ENG;.lcf error by making a copy of the EnglishGb.lcf file and renaming it to ENG;.lcf. The semicolon is allowed in the file name so it works fine. It produces a new error though:

Code:
20/02/2011 - 13:08:01.615 - (pid:00729) - Invalid parameter(s) "Language=ENG;,DefaultVariant=yes" in Filter (ELQQuery)

Not sure what it means, but it doesn't look serious.

If there was some way to edit the cphoneme.dat file to fix the error in there, that would obviously be the ideal solution, but I'm not sure that's possible without the Loquendo software or working for TomTom.

Cam
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ubercam wrote:
Oh I also fixed the ENG;.lcf error by making a copy of the EnglishGb.lcf file and renaming it to ENG;.lcf. The semicolon is allowed in the file name so it works fine. It produces a new error though:

Code:
20/02/2011 - 13:08:01.615 - (pid:00729) - Invalid parameter(s) "Language=ENG;,DefaultVariant=yes" in Filter (ELQQuery)

Cam

Are you using the GB&I map or the Western European?

The GB & I works fine for me with the entries in the .rex file. Is this were your entries are?

Can you post your amended entries please?

Marvin2003 posted:-

Quote:
Here are is some more info:

\Nx reads numbers as individual digits ie. 10 = one, zero
\Nd reads numbers as 'whole' numbers ie. 10 = ten
\Nm reads a number as 21st, 42nd, 110th ie. 10 = 10th
\Ndy reads a number as a year ie. 1910

Which is the Loquendo controls for number reading.
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some more interesting discussion going on about this Edited to read "On another website" and remove silly sniping - DennisN

In fact I notice that the person posting over there is one and the same ubercam based in Australia who has also just posted in this forum but he has posted in considerably more depth about his new loquendo rules in that thread than this one.

He makes some comments over there about his preferences on road number pronunciation as follows:-

Quote:
3 digit roads and A(M) roads
Code:

1. A421 = A four twenty one
2. A505 = A five oh five
3. A600 = A six hundred

4 digit roads
Code:

1. A2035 = A twenty thirty five
2. A3203 = A thirty two oh three
3. A4100 = A fourty one hundred
4. A5005 = A five thousand five
5. A3000 = A three thousand

As a born and bred Brit I have to say I don't entirely share these view as I would say A421 is always said as "A Four Two One" in the UK and A2035 is always "A Two Ohhh Three Five" and A3203 is always "A Three Two Ohhh Three" and A5005 is always "A Five Double Ohhh Five" but we would agree on A3000 being pronounced as "A Three Thousand" and not as "A Three Ohhh Ohhh Ohhh" But I would still maintain that in the UK A4100 is said as "A Four One Ohhh Ohhh" and not as "A Fourty One Hundred". Don't ask me why its that way it just is and is what people say for these road numbers in the UK.

Also having tried GreenGlide's amended single rex file with the Western and Central Europe map for a while I have to say the results are not too good and I'm getting lots of B roads still spelt out the long way and even some of the four digit A roads as well. I have also been experiencing lots of semi colons. All in all I have to conclude that this not an improvement on the original situation and that having a non existent semi-colon announced is more annoying than putting up with "B Two Thousand One Hundred and Twenty Six" etc.

I am now going to try Marvin's five files instead and see how I get on with those.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
As a born and bred Brit I have to say I don't entirely share these view as I would say A421 is always said as "A Four Two One" in the UK and A2035 is always "A Two Ohhh Three Five" and A3203 is always "A Three Two Ohhh Three" and A5005 is always "A Five Double Ohhh Five" but we would agree on A3000 being pronounced as "A Three Thousand" and not as "A Three Ohhh Ohhh Ohhh" But I would still maintain that in the UK A4100 is said as "A Four One Ohhh Ohhh" and not as "A Fourty One Hundred". Don't ask me why its that way it just is and is what people say for these road numbers in the UK.

I think we're expecting a little too much here - "A Four Two One" vs "A Three Thousand".

Perhaps we just have to accept that a number is just a number and there are more important things in life to worry about
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's worth pointing out that the OP is from Canada and we are now about to journey into the realms of Canadian, American, British, Australian and sundry other countries' varying opinions on how to pronounce something. Maybe we should all go out and get jobs on telephone helplines?

WackyRaces you should listen to BBC Radio Five Live to hear alternative pronunciations for some of your avowed correct ones during traffic reports.

WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
WackyRaces you should listen to BBC Radio Five Live to hear alternative pronunciations for some of your avowed correct ones during traffic reports.

There are bound to be some variations in the way road numbers are said by different people, especially given the strong liking of Five Live for Northern Irish presenters (which as you will no doubt be well aware for the purpose of most road related matters including their number plate system and their road numbering scheme re-using M1 etc is basically not within Great Britain).

The only solution that would work would be people being able to set the pronunciation rules whichever way met their own personal tastes in the matter. A bit like my finding the Kate Loquendo computer voice to be a bossy old overbearing trout and hence using Simon even though I would use a female voice like a shot if there was a computerised Vicki.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: