Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - [v8-Android] CoPilot 8 Live for Android Reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

[v8-Android] CoPilot 8 Live for Android Reviewed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EBGB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Why does Copilot try to hide its safety/reliability record? Reply with quote

I asked ALK how often the CoPilot failed (information that any user would want in order to know whether it is safe to rely upon the product or not). As a safety advisory to other CoPilot users, I posted ALK's response on Facebook that the failure rate of CoPilot ''is not available to customers''.
I promptly received this... message from ALK: ''...having reviewed your comments on Facebook
and with our own internal team, we believe the best course of action would be
to provide you with a full refund on your purchase...''.
Since I haven't asked for a refund, ALK's message feels to me remarkably like being shown to the nearest exit for asking about CoPilot's safety record.
scote
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: activation Reply with quote

I found their support quite good. I had activation issues due to buying the eu version and then trying to get the uk version before realising that it was too late to get a refund for the eu version so I got a refund on the uk version instead. both times their support solved my problem in a day or two.
EBGB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: ALK Customer Support seems to choose which customers to help Reply with quote

I've seen many hundreds of complaints online about ALK's customer support. It's also clear that *some* people get good support from ALK and others get robot replies that have nothing to do with their questions.
What's emerging as a picture of customer service at ALK is that they can solve many customer problems with a form reply. However, many other customers are still waiting for an actually helpful reply many months or even years after contacting ALK. Others report getting replies from ALK that revealed that the ''support'' tech was unfamiliar with ALK products and ALK's website.
I know from my own experience that ALK evidently has only one policy or procedure for dealing with product problems or questions that are outside their usual ''script'' of responses to customers: get rid of the customer asking too many questions by offering them an unasked-for refund.
But most importantly, the issue I'm raising is one of the reliability (and safety) of the CoPilot product. What honest or ethical reason could ALK have for concealing the failure rate of their product from customers?
Solo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Copilot 8 Reply with quote

Hi, I have put this on my Dell Sreak and it works, including Poi's.
Brian
Samsung Galaxy S11
Samsung Galaxy s3
Galaxy s4
Galaxy s5
Galaxy tab s
The penalty for bigamy is two Mother-in-Laws
seanipops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded this last night from Android Marketplace for my HTC Desire. The installation seemed to go well and I also downloaded the right maps. However, when I try to run the app, I get a message that says "copilot is currently unpacking downloaded data" it then seems to minimise to the top left hand corner of my screen.

When I maximise the window it says the same thing then minimises again. I've only had the phone one day so I've not really got to grips with the OS yet but having read some of the reviews and comments about ALK's customer service, I'm bricking it a bit.

Can anyone help?
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with it seanipops. The program & maps take a long time to sort out after downloading.
That topleft hand side of the screen is called the notification bar (stroke downwards to open upward to minimise).
I suggest you plug the phone into charge and leave it for a while, it will eventually say "Instalation complete" you can then switch on the GPS and run the program.
Once it's all sorted it starts quickly, the GPS location takes a little longer.
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried CoPilot Live 8 on a Samsung Galaxy Tab and it's BEAUTIFUL! It fills the 7" screen and is very fast. Going to have to give up on Sygic Mobile Maps 10. They never really made use of the Android OS as you had use the on screen buttons and not, for example, my HTC Desire's menu button. And worse, trying Sygic on the Galaxy Tab, it does not expand to fill the larger screen. Goodbye Sygic and HELLO CoPilot.
richuu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBGB - how does the performance of a sat nav program affect safety?
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richuu wrote:
EBGB - how does the performance of a sat nav program affect safety?

I can only assume that he's pressing loads of buttons while on the move in a moment of frustration....eyes off the road stuff....lack of concentration maybe.
therm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Speed camera dataabase Reply with quote

I've recently switched from a Iphone 3gs with the TomTom satnav software running on it to a HTC Desire HD with only the HTC own 'locations'. This is rubbish compared to TomTom. TomTom is not available for Android so I downloaded Co-Pilot Live 8. It installed with no problems and works very well. I am pleasantly surprised with how good it is.
I've downloaded the latest PGPS camera database in the Copilot 8 format and followed the installation instructions.

My problem is that the newly downloaded database is not showing in my list of POI's in the Copilot settings menu. I've copied them to the storage card\copilot\ save directory as instructed but they are not showing up for selection. Any ideas where I may have gone wrong ?
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Therm

Download each type of speed cam to the directory on your SD card under copilot - save, disconnect from your computer & run co-pilot. Close Co-pilot and download each of the speed cam types individually.

To show the speed cams in co-pilot maps go to settings- POI display - choose (when stopped or always) - tap "currently displayed POI's - select "safety cams (Co-pilot lumps them all together) and "OK" after selection

Co-pilot doesn't show the PGPSW speed cams under PGPSW just lumps them all together as speed cams.

To get the verbal warnings go to settings- Safety alerts and select "display safety alerts" & the distance for warnings although I would recomend not using co-pilots verbal warnings but invest the 59p and use PGPSW's own CamarAlert running at the same time as Co-pilot, the selection of the type & when the warnings are given are much better.

To check if the PGPSW speed cams have downloaded correctly look on your SD card in copilot - EU - UK (if you just have UK & NI maps) - save (different save directory from 1st papagraph above) - user_places where you should see pocketgps-uk-gatso, pocketgps-uk-mobile atc.

Hope this helps
therm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Duddy,

Thanks for your help. I downloaded the 59p camarAlert app and have disabled the CoPilot verbal warnings. I'll try it out tomorrow on the way to my first job.

Thanks again.
therm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

As my previous posts, I've downloaded the safety cam database and followed the instructions. I run the Cameralert and have had it set to start Copilot live automatically. The cameralert works well, informing me of the gatso, mobile cams etc. My problem now is that the only 'icon' i see on the copilot map are the fixed Gatsos and nothing else. I've followed what you send in your explanation above. I have got the latest 5 .csv & 5.png files in copilot/save directory. I also have put into the copliot/eu/ukireland/save/userplaces the 5 .csv files as they were not there. Should the 5 .png files be in there with them?
One other thing, when I start copilot, i see for a brief second the 'integrating updates' screen flash up and then copilot works as normal. Any idea where I'm going wrong now??

Thanks for your time and help with this.

Ian C.
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

therm wrote:
Hi again,

As my previous posts, I've downloaded the safety cam database and followed the instructions. I run the Cameralert and have had it set to start Copilot live automatically. The cameralert works well, informing me of the gatso, mobile cams etc. My problem now is that the only 'icon' i see on the copilot map are the fixed Gatsos and nothing else. I've followed what you send in your explanation above. I have got the latest 5 .csv & 5.png files in copilot/save directory. I also have put into the copliot/eu/ukireland/save/userplaces the 5 .csv files as they were not there. Should the 5 .png files be in there with them?
One other thing, when I start copilot, i see for a brief second the 'integrating updates' screen flash up and then copilot works as normal. Any idea where I'm going wrong now??

Thanks for your time and help with this.

Ian C.

No start again with todays updated database
Connect your PC to the phone
delete from Copilot directory (on the sd card) all the PGPSW sub directories from EU - UK- User_places & delete all PGPSW .csv & .png files from the CoPilot - save directory.

Download the new database (Consolidated by type) & expand in PC

DO NOT PUT ANY FILES MANUALLY INTO THE EU - UK - USER_PLACES DIRECTORY

Copy PGPSW specs .png & .csv files from PC to Copilot - save on phone SD card.

Disconnect phone from PC in normal manner & run Copilot.

Green bars on phone show specs data being expanded.
When complete close CoPilot.

Reconnect phone to PC and copy PGPSW red light .png & .csv to CoPilot - save.

Repeat from ****** above for each of the PGPSW warning groups

On completion each of the groups should have a sub directory in the EU - UK- User_places directory and each of these should have abouit 18 files in it with various file extensions and the files you copied over should have disapeared from the CoPilot - save directory

You have to follow this method each time you update the database, a bit of a pain but you get used to it.

Hope this helps.. If a problem post again.
therm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duddy,

I followed your instructions to the letter - twice! but I'm still not showing anything other than the ALK speedcams on the map. There is no sub directory in the Eu-UK-User_places directory, only alk cams, My POi's & poi_uk.safetycams.

The 5 .csv & 5 .png files are still in the Copilot-save directory. After copying the pair of files as instructed and starting copilot, i only saw the info screen say 'intregrating updates' for less than a second each time i did it. Now every time I start copliot, i see the same quick flash of the info panel.

This is getting a bit tiring and I'm close to giving up but it's very frustrating to not do something so simple. If it makes any difference my phone is an HTC Desire HD and is unbranded & sim free, currently on Vodafone.

If I had any hair I'd have pulled it out by now!!

Thanks again for your time on this.

Ian C.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: