Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Walkingworld routes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Walkingworld routes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Walkingworld routes Reply with quote

I have just received an email from Walkingworld regarding downloading route Instructions and Photos onto the SatMap. Although following the guide and having the latest software for both SatMap and satsync I find that I can download any of there walks onto my gps with waypoints but when selecting the waypoint there are no instr or photos. Has anyone else had success in getting these onto there SatMaps?
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions in the link are useless!

1. Find the route.
2. open up the detail by clicking on the title.
3. Click on the " View full details for ths walk" link below the title
4. Click the Digital mapping tab
5. tick the box to download pictures and click download
6. open satsync connect satmap and drag downloaded file into satsync
7. select route at option popup.
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After contacting SatMap it appears the reason I could not download the Instructions and Photos onto my SatMap was because I was downloading the GPX file directly into my Memory Map files, and then extracting them into Satsync, consequently some files were being corrupted in the conversion.
Unfortunately things have moved on a stage since then, after discovering how to download the walkingworld GPX files correctly I have now been left with a frozen Active 10 with none of the control buttons functioning and the only way to power off is to removing the battery. Contacting SatMap again they requested that I connect my GPS up to Satsync and remove all files that I had downloaded from Walkingworld, I removed all but one file that would not be deleted, they believed this could be what was causing the problem, and I have had to return the GPS to the factory to have the Hard drive reformatted. This could be a complete coincident but If anybody is thinking of downloading these files proceed with caution
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help with your problem, but I can describe a similar experience:

I had a problem with gpx route which caused pretty much the same problem (not from Walking World) with the unit freezing unpredictably, with the only fix being to disconnect battery. Took me a while to realise what was going on as I was in france using a new Alps map card which got the blame. After a few weeks I spring cleaned the unit - deleting unwanted waypoints and routes, which solved the problem.

Let the downloader beware Twisted Evil
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have downloaded and installed several Walking world routes as a test without the problems described above.

There is one issue however, the pictures and text associated with the routes are converted by Satsync to individual files named 01,02 etc. this means that you can only have one such route on at any one time without you and the Satmap getting very confused. It is, of course possible to move them about and file each route in it's own in folder, but it is a real chore.

Probably the best long term fix would be if Satsync prefixed the pictures with the route name.

I too have had problems when accidentally loading files of the incorrect format onto the Satmap. This is why I occasionally buy the SD card upgrade. I just put the card in power on and it re flashed everything. I can do this in the field and update to the latest version later.
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the above problems I have not had the chance to experiment with Walkingworld downloads, but does entering a number in the prefix box in Walkingworld not allow more then one walk to be downloaded onto the GPS? As I said I have not had a chance to try this
ChrisJakarta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got around to trying this out, and it seems to work fine. So I tried to produce my own .gpx route in Quo with comments to accompany some of the waypoints. I hoped this might display the comments in the same way as the WalkingWorld files, but when importing via SatSync, it just produced the 'normal' .map file, with no additional files with the comments. I've yet to find a convenient way to view such comments while walking - they only seem to appear if we edit the route.

So I then used the WalkingWorld file as an example, and edited my Quo-produced .gpx file to reflect the entries in the WalkingWorld file. After a bit of fiddling, including replacing the headers, I go this to 'work', but since the route had over 100 waypoints (although many did not have any comments), this ended up with 100+ additional files. And when I tried to open the route on the SatMap, it hung, and I had to disconnect the battery to get it to work. Being a little scared of creating problems, I deleted everything associated with this route.

Anybody ad any success in producing routes similar to those in WalkingWorld? Are there any instructions? Is there a maximum number of waypoints that can be included?

I'd be interested to hear of any other experience...

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: