Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic Mobile Maps Becomes Aura (and loses POI support?)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic Mobile Maps Becomes Aura (and loses POI support?)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Sygic Mobile Maps Becomes Aura (and loses POI support?) Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comSygic have announced that they are discontinuing their Mobile Maps software and 'upgrading' everyone to Sygic Aura. Their app will then be known simply as "Sygic GPS Navigation".

Aura features impressive 3D views (with terrain) and a whole host of features mainly based around a 'community' of users. However, there is no 3rd party POI support like in Mobile Maps (which also allows for our real spoken alerts for speed cameras using .ogg files). We have asked Sygic to comment on the POI issue and will post any news once we receive a reply.

The free updates will also include the latest maps and will be available for all versions of their apps (iPhone, iPad, Android, WinMob, Symbian and Maemo) albeit with a few caveats...

iPhone and iPad: Users will get their updates via the AppStore. Users who have purchased both apps will be entitled to free premium content.

Android: Users will be emailed about how they can upgrade. Aura requires a 3D graphics chip so many older devices (such as the HTC Hero) will not be able to use the app. If you cannot use the app then you will be offered an update to Mobile Maps to v8.2 and a free map - then that's your lot.

Symbian: The Ovi Store has limitations on app sizes and so Aura is not currently available on Symbian. You will get an update to Mobile Maps 8.2 and a free map update while they try to resolve the issue with Nokia.

Windows Mobile: Windows Mobile only allows 32mb of memory for apps to use while running. This isn't enough for Aura and so it will never be released for Windows Mobile. Users will get an update to Mobile Maps 8.2 and a free map update - then that's it.

Windows Phone 7: Aura will not be released on WP7 as Microsoft do not allow apps written in native code, which Aura requires.

Full details can be found at http://sygic.com/auramigration but, basically, by concentrating only on Aura and not their 'classic' Mobile Maps Sygic are essentially saying iOS and Android is where it's at.

What do you think to the announcement? Will you be affected? Do you feel 'ripped off' that an app you bought is being discontinued? Join in the discussion below!
sn00p
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear....

The only thing that Aura has going for it is the rather smart looking (and fast) 3D display, I noticed the other day that the current price for it on the iOS app store is considerably lower than what they were trying to sell it at, it didn't even mention being on sale or anything.

Considering how long it has been out, it has hardly any reviews, those which it does have are pretty poor (yes, I wrote one of them).

It still suffers from a "nasty looking" UI, they're still using a custom UI and not a native iOS UI for the menus. They switched a couple of versions back from the custom keyboard to the native iOS keyboard, but didn't bother with anything else. Try typing in the Aura account details, you get a native keyboard and then you just appear to be writing in the middle of nowhere with it, it looks unfinished, poor and unprofessional. It's also slow, try scrolling a menu and it just lags so badly (i'm on a iPhone 4!).

I have to confess that I still use TomTom, I bought Aura because it looked like it promised so much, but it delivered so poorly. The routing was poor in the first couple of versions (I did give it some test runs), I don't know whether they've fixed that or not.

Furthermore, how exactly is this "crossgrade" going to work in iOS app store? Are they going to just rename the current application, if so then they're going to end up with 2 Sygic Auras per region in the app store? Confusing.

They probably should have just removed the original Sygic Aura app from the store and then dealt with the complaints from all 5 of us who bought it! ;)
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear ... and me with a HTC Hero. Now I have got CamerAlert working I am not too worried about the POIs though.

Not sure what the reference to v8.2 is for us Android users, since I am using Mobile Maps 10. Is it a reference to the map version? At the moment I am on 7.8 of those.

Am I right in thinking that Sygic is ultimately owned by Tom Tom? If so they seem to be adopting the same "**** you" approach to customer service.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sn00p wrote:
Furthermore, how exactly is this "crossgrade" going to work in iOS app store? Are they going to just rename the current application, if so then they're going to end up with 2 Sygic Auras per region in the app store? Confusing.

from their website: "In Australia, Brazil, Russia and UK, we will move original Sygic Aura to Travel category in order not to have two identical apps in the Navigation category. We will change its description and screenshots. Don’t worry; we are not going to remove any of its features. We will continue supporting original Sygic Aura with future updates including free map updates. "
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Am I right in thinking that Sygic is ultimately owned by Tom Tom? If so they seem to be adopting the same "**** you" approach to customer service.

no, they're not although the early versions of Mobile Maps were very very similar to TomTom!

MaFt
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Android I found a few improvements from MM to Aura but there are a few annoyances - I have yet to work out how to get an eta on the navigation screen and the biggest is the mad time assessments it makes. Last week I drove the 150miles to Leeds and Aura proudly told me it would take me 1 hour 48 minutes. In reality it took 3 hours.

On the positive side for me it means I should get Aura on both my Desire HD and Dell Streak (it crashes a lot on this at the moment though). Not sure if I want to stay with MM for the POIs though.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Aura for a while now and it performs fine with my ZTE Blade android phone. Routing could be better, and as said the eta is a bit hit and miss. Find it really easy to use. Sygic customer support is very poor if none existent from my experience. Still have not found out how to update their safety cams, not that I use them. Download the Sygic Assistant, but it only seems to offer me the user manual for the app, no updates Crying or Very sad
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found Sygic's support to be good in the past. I just email them at supportatSygic.com and I always get an answer within a day or two from a real person who understands the product.

In one of those recent queries (getting MM10 transferred to my new SD card) they confirmed that they had now abandoned Sygic Assistant.
Copilot for USA
mrfrank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
On Android I found a few improvements from MM to Aura but there are a few annoyances - I have yet to work out how to get an eta on the navigation screen and the biggest is the mad time assessments it makes. Last week I drove the 150miles to Leeds and Aura proudly told me it would take me 1 hour 48 minutes. In reality it took 3 hours.

On the positive side for me it means I should get Aura on both my Desire HD and Dell Streak (it crashes a lot on this at the moment though). Not sure if I want to stay with MM for the POIs though.

It only shows the ETA in landscape mode. In portrait it does not. .
Also, the following main things a re lost from MM:
1) custom POI (weknow that already)
2) manually check for alternative routes
3) No way to indicate a road block, which would force a re-route.
4) It seems to prefer smaller roads to motorways and there is no way to force motorways to be preferred (MM did not have this problem at all; must be a new routing logic, which is now crap in Aura)
5) Cannot select what to show on main screen (ETA, speed,miles left, etc...) as you could in MM
6) In order to navigate to a favourite you have to tap on "Find-Favourite", which is not intuitive at first.

There are more things lost, but the above are the most annoying.

Cheers!!
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfrank wrote:

4) It seems to prefer smaller roads to motorways and there is no way to force motorways to be preferred (MM did not have this problem at all; must be a new routing logic, which is now crap in Aura)

Oddly so far I have found the opposite to this as it has chosen the motorway I would use rather than take me on the A roads that MM used to chose. I guess it is somewhat variable and dependant on where you live then.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
I have found Sygic's support to be good in the past. I just email them at supportatSygic.com and I always get an answer within a day or two from a real person who understands the product.

In one of those recent queries (getting MM10 transferred to my new SD card) they confirmed that they had now abandoned Sygic Assistant.

Sent email to Sygic 5th Feb 2011 - replied today 17th Feb 2011

My question was:

How do you update the Speed Cameras / Police traps.

Reply (which I don't understand, or is it just me):

Dear Sir,

if you mean offline speed cameras, they're automatically updated with every update.

If you mean online police traps, just log in and db will be updated automatically.

In case of any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you.

! Rolling Eyes
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are referring to their own in-built facilities for camera warnings, which they call radars. That is the same on Mobile Maps and Aura.

The problem is that MM supports 3rd party POIs, and therefore the PGPSW camera database, whereas Aura doesn't.
Copilot for USA
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
They are referring to their own in-built facilities for camera warnings, which they call radars. That is the same on Mobile Maps and Aura.

The problem is that MM supports 3rd party POIs, and therefore the PGPSW camera database, whereas Aura doesn't.

In the Aura user manual they refer to them as speed cameras and police traps. They say go online. Well I have done this every time I run Aura on my android(its the first thing it asks when you start it), and when I check the files on the memory card none have changed that I can see. What ever they want to call them, there are speed cameras that are not on the map. I have gone online at policetraps and put them on the map there over 3 weeks ago. But they still don't show on my map when I run Aura. So as I said, I still cannot understand what they mean, or are they saying that they will only be updated when a new map update becomes available. In which case the cameras are only updated once or twice a year Crying or Very sad

That would mean that the cameras are just imbedded in the map, and not updateable at all.
mrfrank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
In the Aura user manual they refer to them as speed cameras and police traps. They say go online. Well I have done this every time I run Aura on my android(its the first thing it asks when you start it), and when I check the files on the memory card none have changed that I can see. What ever they want to call them, there are speed cameras that are not on the map. I have gone online at policetraps and put them on the map there over 3 weeks ago. But they still don't show on my map when I run Aura. So as I said, I still cannot understand what they mean, or are they saying that they will only be updated when a new map update becomes available. In which case the cameras are only updated once or twice a year Crying or Very sad

That would mean that the cameras are just imbedded in the map, and not updateable at all.

It all means that their camera updates are useless ;)
That is why we need custom POI/speedcameras to be supported, so we cna use the great PGPSW camera database.
Or, you can buy cameralert from android market (less then a £) and a PGPSW subscription and use that instead on your android phone. IT works great in the backround whilst you are using Aura in the foreground.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had contact from Sygic.

The Aura / Mobile Maps merged version will be known as "Aura 3"

Shortly after the release of Aura 3 they will be adding the following with regards to POIs:

1) Clickable POIs, after click on POI more info is displayed, the same will be possible with traffic info in map (new)

+ the features that were in SMM:
    2) own POI – UPI files (using the UPI file convertor) + configurable warnings for own pois

3) own POI categories

4) Memorize position

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: