Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Canon Unveil GPS Equipped PowerShot SX230 HS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Canon Unveil GPS Equipped PowerShot SX230 HS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Canon Unveil GPS Equipped PowerShot SX230 HS Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comGPS is the latest must have feature gaining traction in the consumer camera market and news that Canon have decided to play suggests we will be seeing a great many more.

Canon's entry into the GPS clique is the PowerShot SX230 HS, a 14x mega-zoom compact that comes with optical image stabilisation, a 12.1 MP CMOS sensor and Full HD (1920x1080p/24fps) video with stereo sound. The HS stands for 'High Sensitivity' which promises to reduce image 'noise' and increase dynamic range.

The zoom offers a useful 28mm wide angle and a 392mm zoom whilst the GPS feature records date, time and location of each snap. A 7.5cm, 460k-dot 16:9 LCD at the rear provides the image framing and picture playback.

The GPS can also act as a data logger and record the full journey rather than just locations where photographs are taken. Supplied software allows for the log files to be viewed using Google Maps or Google Earth.

Pricing has yet to be announced but both the SX230 and the SX220 (the non-GPS variant) will be available mid-March 2011.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any guesstimates on price bracket? Are we talking £150? £300? £500?

I'm after a decent 'Point n Click' after my last one was, erm, lost in a taxi on New Years Eve 2009...!!!

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From another website

Quote:
All are due in March (the 100 HS in the beginning of March, the rest by the end), with the 100 / 300 / 500 HS going for $199.99, $249.99, and $299.99, respectively, and the SX-230 for $349.99.
worried
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Cannon 650 and an Itrip logger (£29.99 from Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?criteria=Promotion&menuno=-7 ) when downloading the logger it will also locate you photo's with the time and write the GPS location onto the photo Exif page.

Considering the very small size of the logger its works well and is a lot cheaper than a special camera

I also have a nearly worn out Cannon 640 and no trouble doing a photo trip with both working, and then logging the GPS to both
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certainly options for adding geotag data without buying a new camera but if you're in the market for a new model then it's an option.

I have a datalogger that can be used for adding location data but it's one more gadget that I have to carry and keep charged and invariably I don't have it with me when I need it.

It won't be for everyone but if you're shopping for an upgrade then it's a feature worth considering and I've always had great experiences with Canon compacts.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an SE phone with GPS and reasonable (great for phone) camera. The only problem I find is that from opening the lens cover (which turns on the GPS) to taking the photo, most of the time the GPS has not got a fix. It's OK for thos pics that you plan to take, when you are outside (GPS still don't work inside) and can wait for it.

So what I tend to do is take one reference photo (usuaally a wide angle landscape) ensuring I've got a fix, and not worry untill I move to another location.

Does the Cannon have the ablilty (BT, WiFI etc) to do an assited start?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
Does the Cannon have the ablilty (BT, WiFI etc) to do an assited start?

Sorry, no idea, but the fact it offers trip log function must mean it can work in a semi-autonomous mode with the camera off.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
but the fact it offers trip log function must mean it can work in a semi-autonomous mode with the camera off.
Surely, if this is so, it must at least switch on the GPS occasionally to get a fix for the trip log, so would have a good idea of where it is most of the time????
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Surely, if this is so, it must at least switch on the GPS occasionally to get a fix for the trip log, so would have a good idea of where it is most of the time????

That is what I meant. The camera mentioned in this thread has a trip log mode, so either this is a separate option OR it is already set-up to grab a positional fix every few minutes which would presumably speed up or acquisition or remove the issue altogether?

Early GPS equipped cams struggled with battery life but this seems to be a non-issue now as the Fuji I covered a few weeks back also had a triplog function so presumably the GPS is operating either continually or at regular intervals.
worried
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re my Canon A650, the reason I like it is the swivelling view finder, easy to take overhead picture, And I would not say the Itrip logger is big, it sits happily on the camera lead, will log for at least 72 hours on the rechargeable battery, and happilly hold at least a weeks trip, it and the camera download to my laptop via mini USB, and it recharges as well
The Logger and picture will Synch automatically and write the location to the picture Exif

output screen on Itrip

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The I-gotu is a lovely logger, we reviewed one recently. But you have to consider the wider market, and for many, a separate dongle would not be the preferred solution.

I'm a Micro 4/3rds user and I'm using an Eye-Fi Pro card which uses WiFi location tech. In most areas it's accurate enough for me but for trips into the country I use a Columbus V-900 datalogger in much the same way as you.

But the more GPS enabled cameras the better IMO.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect for those wine-tasting holidays, so you can remember where you've been Guinness
Kia In-dash Tomtom
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little while back I did buy a Panasonic Lumix with GPS, but the image quality was appalling and the battery life was so poor I took it back.

Does the Canon also have a digital compass, so it also tags the images with the direction the camera was pointing?

I currently use my Sony Ericsson K800i with a HGE-100 GPS Enabler attached.
The drain on the battery is tiny and with my additional 2GB memory card it can log for ridiculous lengths of time.

I use TrekBuddy as a data logger and it logs my GPS location every second.
You can also view your track and use it for off road navigation with offline maps.
Great when you get lost!

When I get back I use GPicSync to tag my photos.

It’s so simple Very Happy

The advantage of a data logger is you can use pretty much any camera Very Happy
mike19444
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: its not the 'GPS, its the megapix Reply with quote

there are too many.
means each cell in the array gets less light.
so it'll work in sunlight, but be flakey on dull days or anywhere indoors.

powershot is a nice little camera (I have one) but don't be fooled by Canon's megapix claims -- or those of any manufacturer. Less is better.

No point knowing where a crap pic was taken.

Mike
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: its not the 'GPS, its the megapix Reply with quote

mike19444 wrote:
there are too many.
means each cell in the array gets less light.
so it'll work in sunlight, but be flakey on dull days or anywhere indoors.

powershot is a nice little camera (I have one) but don't be fooled by Canon's megapix claims -- or those of any manufacturer. Less is better.

No point knowing where a crap pic was taken.

Mike

After trying several new cameras, I went back to my trust old Pentax Optio 550.

It will be 8 years old this July and it’s taken nearly 20,000 photos and is still takes fantastic photos... it does looks a bit battered and tatty though.

mike19444 is quite correct, don't be swayed by the megapixels.

More megapixels = More noise in your photos at lower light levels.

Lower megapixels & large aperture = Nice photos at lower light levels.

Also, buying a decent quality camera helps Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: