Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Huge Threat to Dedicated Satnavs Confirmed?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Huge Threat to Dedicated Satnavs Confirmed?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Huge Threat to Dedicated Satnavs Confirmed? Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comThe strong challenge to the standard portable satnav device from mobile apps such as those offered by iPhone and Google Android has been anticipated ever since the first GPS enabled smartphones hit the market many years ago.

Fast forwarding to today, a survey claims that 82% of smartphone navigation app users would be unlikely to buy a dedicated satnav. It is widely anticipated that this figure will continue to grow rapidly.

Over 5,000 users of ALK’s CoPilot Live navigation apps were surveyed also revealing that 65% of respondents use CoPilot Live at least once a week. This flies in the face of the belief held by some that smartphone navigation is only for occasional use or as a back-up for a dedicated satnav.

“This survey is concrete evidence that smartphone navigation is a direct threat to dedicated devices” commented CoPilot's marketing director David Quin. “Full-featured apps like CoPilot Live now provide the same advanced guidance features and detailed maps of a high-end satnav on a wide range of handsets, and that for the majority, there’s no going back. As smartphones reach mass market penetration it is inevitable that the dedicated device will become the niche product.”
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Dedicated SatNav v Smartphone. Reply with quote

True, in my opinion.

I still have my TT One but only as a backup (why throw a working device!!! away) for my HTC Desire (Android 2.2) running CoPilot Live 8 with PGPSW speed cam.

The big advantage is it's all in 1 device and I don't have to leave my SatNav in my car when I park. The dashboard holder is obviously for a phone and as such it is not expected to find the device in the car when parked.

The smartphone is also so much more flexible than a SatNav... MP3 player, memo device, dictaphone etc, etc etc + phone.

I don't think I'll ever purchase a dedicated SatNav again.. sorry TT
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can see the advantages, I would disagree

Owning among others an iPhone4 with Navigon and Live Traffic enabled together with a Mio Mount with Speaker, GPS and Bluetooth is fine

If my eye sight was bionic, the navigation wasn't constantly interrupted by calls and the buttons just too small to use quickly

I would (do) throw my latest Sat Nav in to its mount, its on and running with GPS fix in less the a few seconds, and the address do, calculated and ready to go

If I was stuck I would be happy with my iPhone4 as a GPS, but given the choice as I am, never. If my Sat Nav broke tomorrow I would immediately get another (or use one of the spares!)

The survey doesn't target the right audience - they asked SmartPhone owners who run Sat Nav Apps if they would buy a Sat Nav - I guess the fact they fall in to that category in itself (and I know I do) means they are in the most likely category not to have a dedicated unit and / or use sat nav often (I call often multi-trips per day, not around once per week)

For me, the future is in-car systems entertainment systems running your choice of sat-nav app. Easy to view with a decent size screen, no volume issues, no theft issues, and easy to update - TomTom and Garmin are already heading down that route with built in units, now the manufactures need to install Android / WP7 etc in car head units
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
While I can see the advantages, I would disagree

And so would I.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think the dedicated satnav is dead as well. But it's probably still got a few years in it yet.
For myself, if going on a planned journey I would use the TT720. Caught short, I'd use the phone.
Not going to buy a new satnav though, both the 710 and 720 both with 'old' maps work fine and probably will do until they expire (or I do) Shocked

Cheers, Bob
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, color me weird, but when I moved from a sat nav application on my phone to a dedicated PND, it felt like an upgrade. Larger screen, easier to use, better speaker. And that's from TomTom on the phone, to a 4.3" TomTom One, to a TomTom 9*0.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having a smartphone... What actually happens if you're using one as a sat nav and the phone rings?
Do you lose audio instructions, visual instructions, camera warnings, or all or none of the above?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. Some like Tomtom can "push (text) notifications" whilst in call. I.e. Turn instructions are displayed as text instructions on screen over the top of whatever is currently on screen.

The NDrive I use from time to time just dies as it doesn't support multitasking.

Not that I "know". Currently waiting for my 740 subs to run out in September before buying TomTom app. Just read lots.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Huge Threat to Dedicated Satnavs Confirmed Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
a survey claims that 82% of smartphone navigation app users would be unlikely to buy a dedicated satnav. It is widely anticipated that this figure will continue to grow rapidly.

Those darned statistics again! Rolling Eyes
I wonder what percentage of PND users, when surveyed, would be "unlikely to buy satnav software for a mobile device" - I would hazard a guess at a similar percentage.

News Team wrote:
Over 5,000 users of ALK’s CoPilot Live navigation apps were surveyed also revealing that 65% of respondents use CoPilot Live at least once a week. This flies in the face of the belief held by some that smartphone navigation is only for occasional use or as a back-up for a dedicated satnav.

hardly... it actually means that just over half of the owners of copilot use it at least once a week. that is all. nothing more, nothing less. perhaps those that use it once a week use it when their tomtom fails them? thus actually proving that it is a back-up for a dedicated satnav.

News Team wrote:
“This survey is concrete evidence that smartphone navigation is a direct threat to dedicated devices” commented CoPilot's marketing director David Quin.

no it doesn't...

News Team wrote:
“Full-featured apps like CoPilot Live now provide the same advanced guidance features and detailed maps of a high-end satnav...”

yes, but what about all the extra features like voice control, 3rd party pois, 3rd party (accurate) speed cameras, OBDII integration for engine management etc, large screens/buttons to name a few. satnav on a mobile phone is useful, but i would never rely on it solely for navigation, particularly on a long trip.

MaFt
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Do I Standalone Reply with quote

I'm an iPhone 4 user and love the Navigon SatNav app. For me using the app on a daily basis is great but, all it did was wet my appetite for a full blown Standalone. So have purchased a Navigon 70 Premium Live unit an now couldn't be happier.

Yes the iPhone app works great with out doubt and it is handy to have it on my phone at all times. But the standalone has more features and a nice large screen. I'm one of those guys that will always prefer a standalone. A smatphone version for me is a substantial appetizer but a standalone unit is the main meal

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Huge Threat to Dedicated Satnavs Confirmed Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

Those darned statistics again! Rolling Eyes

Especially as the poll was done by (or for) CoPilot themselves. Hardly an independent survey!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi zebsogo - do you use Voice Assistant for voice control of the functions (ie Voice Assistant set on 'Full' control? If so, could you say (over on Navigon 70 thread to avoid OTT here!) whether it works ok without problems? If not, what problems?

Many thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And let us not forget that this survey was of CoPilot users.

ALK do not make PNDs so the survey base is already slanted towards smartphone users.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm sitting here with both my satnavs beside me, and a third one due today. I play with them, trying different settings, different PoI sets, voices, tweaks etc. They are a hobby, definitely used less for actual navigation. I don't think a telephone app would give quite so much pleasure.

We get reports on here of sad incidents of vehicles getting into sometimes lethal situations because of users not interacting with their satnavs safely. Firstly how long before a telephone app is involved in one of these? Secondly isn't it better for a user to have a real grasp of all the foibles of their navigation device from 'playing' with it?

Edit: forgot to mention the pleasure I get from belonging to forums where I can share discussion about using them.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
dazzabird
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been using google maps for a while now as a replacement for a old tomtom that died.

Does a decent enough job.

Still looking at one of the newer Tomtoms for europe driving

darren

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: