Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is there an Idiots Guide to Satmap active 10 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there an Idiots Guide to Satmap active 10 ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coffo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Is there an Idiots Guide to Satmap active 10 ? Reply with quote

Can any of you more experienced members point me in the direction of a general (or more specific )GPS guide so that I can actually put into context the copious info contained in the 91 pages of the SATMAP Full User Guide.

I passed 6 GCE's some 55 years ago and by now have a somewhat mulched brain so an EASIER way to learn would be of massive help !

I was thinking of a book similar to the Windows For Dummies types....

Else ? Well I'll just have to work harder !
smashing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be glad there actually is an extensive manual. Over on the Memory Map forum, the recurring grumbles are that their GPSs don't work that well and the manual is virtually non-existent...

There is a short quick start guide at

http://www.satmap.co.uk/pdf/QuickStart-EN.pdf

if that's any help.
coffo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying to help 'smashing' but unfortunately NO ! the quick start guide is not enough for me.

I suppose I'm really wondering whether there was a fully experienced literary giant who has produced a full introduction (Beginners Guide) to Mapping , GPS , Compass etc with encouragemnt on the why and the how-to AND all of the possibilities and uses one could put an active 10 GPS device to. Perhaps the active 10 has TOO MANY options which throw the amateur into confusion because in many instances he may not need them- ever!

In a (perverse) way it may be better for a device with LESS options would be more suitable for the likes of me ..... Or am I just an old whimp ?

ps This is NOT a complaint
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffo,

Don't worry.

If you are content with the quick start guide then I would suggest that the best thing to do is to ... try it. Use the device and see what happens. See if it does what you want. If not look in the larger guide and see if it gives any clues.

Play with the device, it will not bite and if treated with reasonable physical care should not break.

If after trying it out you have any problems that cannot be resolved through the larger guide then feel free to ask again here. We are pretty good at answering specific questions. Its just the suggestion a full guide to life the universe and everything - on one sheet of A4 - that is daunting us at the moment.

Good luck, and enjoy.
Satsync 1.525
coffo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you Mike who is no longer lost. (at least you portray calm, well rounded and thoughtful vibes/genes)---+ good advice and probably of equal importance confirmation that the 'Dummies' book that I envisage is not available.

Strange isn't it but probably because time is sort of running out I wanted to know it all NOW !
Having put finger to keyboard and asking for help - and then understanding that a literary guru has not yet had the time or inclination to explain the meaning of the universe (let alone of a sophisticated GPS device) I quickly realised that it really comes down to (as usual) personal hard graft...... Get on and learn brother....

Anyway this evening I (again) read thru parts of the full guide where it became obvious that a lot of the functions were (TO ME) of no interest whatsoever.
As a lone small fry walker (Hampshire West Sussex Surrey) I only need a small number of the excellent available functions and can ignore the rest.

I did a 10 mile walk in West Sussex yesterday and became frustrated because although I thought I had carefully planned a route when walking and without access to 'instructions' I did the whole thing without being able to access the gps map - so all the time I was merely using the actual GPS pointing function (which was actually very useful).
Obviously more STUDY is needed so as to fully (or nearly) understand the workings of the device. Perhaps a little press of the joy stick would have brought it up ?

Nevertheless friends I will carry on, stop whinging, and LEARN - and as time goes by I'll become more proficient.

Should have known that - before looking for assistance far too soon !

Peace and Joyful Walking be with you all .......
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did the whole thing without being able to access the gps map

Coffo
Please explain this - do you mean you were unable to see the map on the screen?
Have you got a map card inserted in the slot?

Roger
coffo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well NO Roger.

Without a doubt it was due to my inexperience with use and general all round incompetence !

When walking I started out covered in straps around my neck for glasses , satmap and at times radio pods whilst holding a walking stick. So off I went after a short distance I looked at satmap only to find that I was on Planning Map (yes I have an sd inserted) . Obviously on show was the little blue circle representing exact location but this was vying for attention with the orange circle from the planning map.

At the time whilst walking I never managed to get at the GPS map (which I now believe was available by pressing the toggle switch thingie at the bottom middle ) SO EASY ...but Probably the main irritant

So......... my first real use was disappointing although of course the exact GPS position circle proved to be invaluable esecially when in the middle of a large field - that's essentially all I had.

Of course at the time was puzzled that I couldn't see any breadcrumbs and am not yet sure that I even recorded the event.

- Lovely crisp day beside and on the South Downs Way (saw not a soul).

I must repeat that it has encouraged me to study harder and try to fully understand the workings of this amazing little device (and perhaps even get familiar with .gpx files and satsync etc )

Happy Days.............
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffo,

What maps came with your A10? The great thing about the A10 is the mapping display. I am not aware of any way to use it without seeing some sort of map display.

To get from the planning screen to the GPS screen you merely need to press the button to the left of the joystick a couple of times. When you get there the top of the screen message will change from Planning to GPS and the orange circle will disappear.

May I suggest that for your next experiment you just go into the garden (GPS signals are better picked up outdoors) and see if it finds you at home so to speak. This need not take long but do first allow the device a minute or two in some stationary point to first lock on to the satellites. Then if adventurous you can walk out of the garden and down the street for a short distance to see if it is following you.

Good luck.
Satsync 1.525
coffo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do Mike !

You you probably realise by now that in a way I am a sinner who repenteth.

By that I mean that I broke the rule that is used in many areas of life - even IKEA. (commonly known as RTFM !) As I used to preach to my children , wife etc. ( believe it or not in an earlier/younger life I was a Computer Analyst/Programmer)
It really does become (and is) obvious that one should study the manual not once, twice or even three times but maybe 10 times ! - Because ?
Well you can't (easily) carry it with you.

I bought the unit with latest software and a full uk 1: 50000 map (SD) and then added an SD card 1 : 25000 with a particular portion of Surrey/West Sussex/Hampshire (toggleable) - Not Cheap !
ps I notice that I am already using in a somewhat familiar fashion some of these more unusual words so there is hope yet

Regards & Happy Walking to all...
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffo,

The ACTIVE 10 is really pretty intuitive to use.

I found the best way to learn it's methods and quirks is just to sit in the house and play with it ( no pun intended.....oh well go on then ).

When you have mastered the basics take if for a stroll around a nearby park or wasteland where you can't come to any harm.

Only use the manual for reference regarding any points that aren't clear.In my experience just simply reading the manual through means most of it isn't absorbed.If there are any problematic areas then just print out that bit

Yes you are correct that there are some bits you won't use.

I find the most complicated area are the OOi folders.

One thing where the manual may help though is the Settings page.If you don't set it up correctly for your needs it won't give you what you want.

Have a try at setting it up and if you have any questions I am sure someone here will only be too glad to help.

Oh one more thing,don't forget to calibrate the electronic compass as this controls the Trail Up map and it won't be accurate if you don't.

As far as mapping goes give some thought to having all your maps put onto one card ( i.e. have your South Downs 1:25000 put on the same card as your 1:50000 GB map. ),you may have already done this as it is not quite clear from your description.

Ian
coffo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the additional advice Ian and of course will take it.

Yes my 1 :25000 South Downs Map is on the same card as a uk 1 :50000.

I'll now get to work on this little teaser and be back soon with any further queries.

Coffo (alias Terry)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, there are quite a number of regulars on this forum that use the Active10, some of whom you have already received replies from, keep the questions going though, there is little point struggling to get the device to do something you want when free advice is available from the forum.

As for your specific use of the device, its really down to what you want from the unit. Planning a walk and following it on the screen is easy (once you know how), at first the menu selections and finding your way around the device can seem difficult (Can't see the wood from the trees is a saying that springs to mind). There are so many ways to use the unit that at first it can take some time to get used to.

I have set off walking in planning mode, not started the trip record, on one occasion I went for a walk in the Lakes with the Yorksire Dales memory card installed (interesting and I fully deserved the "I am Stupid badge" for that one). At least with all your mapping on a single card you can avoid this one!

Get used to using the device in your local area, take it to a park and walk around trying different options, its much easier to do this when you are in an area you know and recognise, given time (probably far less than you think) you will have worked out what works for you and your next trip on to the fells will be far better. Even consider planning a walk around a local area and following it on the Active10.

Its a cracking device that works very well throughout the year, most units are difficult to use with gloves on, the Active 10 makes such use easy, with some other GPS devices you struggle to see the screen in summer due to sunlight, again no issue with the Active 10 - Mike
coffo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh....

You certainly get an extremely knowledgable and coherent HELPFUL set of citizens on this forum.

have I actually stumbled across THE BIG SOCIETY

Perhaps I should confirm to our Government that it does exist already.......

Everyone of you have been so very very encouraging. I am now determined to fully succeed (sounds dramatic doesn't it)

Merci Beaucoup

Terry
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put the SD card in Coffo and confirm that you can see the map.

Otherwise the big society will get higher blood pressure as some are of a similar age profile to yourself!

Good luck.
Satsync 1.525
coffo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - Just to halt your rising blood pressure I hereby confirm that ever since I received my customised sd map card I have secured it in the device and kept it set at write protected mode !

As I am only likely to walk Surrey/West Sussex/Hampshire in the near future it'll probably stay in there for (a virtual) ever more ...

And............... Yes I believe it is operating correctly ie I can see all screens including planning and GPS maps.

As I've mentioned before I am still in L Driver mode but eventually hope to catch up with you Advanced Drivers !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: