Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPhone Navigation App Comparison Chart
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone Navigation App Comparison Chart
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I get ya!!

You need something like DiskAid that will allow you to access the required folders for adding the files. iTunes allows you access but you cannot select the required sub-folders.

there's some info here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=84800&highlight=diskaid

MaFt
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Ah, I get ya!!
You need something like DiskAid...

Excellent! Thanks MaFt.
clearday
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good comprehensive review...many thanks. One update on Navmii, I downloaded it to my iPhone from the App Store: it was FREE (not £19.99), and that included maps for UK and Ireland. It's listed as "navfree". The postcodes had to be downloaded separately and they were free too. The cameras download was the only thing I paid for (£1.79).

Navfree has good clear road graphics, better than more well-known products that cost 25 or 30 times the price. Excellent value for money.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clearday wrote:
One update on Navmii, I downloaded it to my iPhone from the App Store: it was FREE (not £19.99), and that included maps for UK and Ireland. It's listed as "navfree".

Quite, Navfree is free, NavMii isn't.

One uses the free OpenStreetMap map data which is far from complete, the other uses commercial map data.
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Quite, Navfree is free...uses the free OpenStreetMap map data which is far from complete...

I've spent quite a lot of time with Navfree while trying to decide whether to run nav on my iPhone or buy a new PND. Navfree is adequate for basic nav in well-mapped areas but very frustrating for anyone familiar with paid-for apps. For example, no itineraries or waypoints - no way of refining planned routes at all, apart from fastest/shortest/etc, detouring round part of the route immediately ahead, and avoiding toll roads and motorways. Trying to navigate to a point on the map, while possible, can prove very frustrating. Also, some of its routing is very suspect.

Incidentally, I tried CoPilot V8 too but found that, just as with V6 and V7, it produced some very silly routes. E.g. I asked it for fastest route for a 35-mile journey I do regularly ('A' roads all the way) and it came up with a 45-mile version. I changed the routing profile from the default and it produced a very different but almost equally long route. When I forced it to use 'my' route, it told me that my route was considerably faster as well as much shorter than both of its 'fastest' routes! CoPilot support told me it was Navteq's fault and I should contact them; two weeks on and there's no reply from Navteq. Actually, it should be down to ALK to deal with its subcontractor, but they declined to do so.

I can find plenty of fault with TT too, including price, but will be buying the TT iPhone app. Over a couple of years, it's only 50p/week.
rogertb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Best ? Reply with quote

Hi chaps - I've read through many of the replies but not sure I've come across any 'recommendations' - I'm off to France and Spain in a couple of months and drive around UK - should I just blow the money and go for Tom Tom ? ... thanks for any comments Roger
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Best ? Reply with quote

rogertb wrote:
Hi chaps - I've read through many of the replies but not sure I've come across any 'recommendations' - I'm off to France and Spain in a couple of months and drive around UK - should I just blow the money and go for Tom Tom ? ... thanks for any comments Roger

Our Top 4 would be TomTom/Navigon (equal 1st spot) with Sygic and CoPilot at 3 and 4.

Navigon is nicer to look at and use in my opinion but it does not have HD Traffic.

If you plan on springing extra cash for that, then TomTom would win, if you don't, then Navigon.

Navigon also have an extra cost Traffic service as well as Panaorama view as an extra cost options (you see the hills and valleys in 3D).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, TomTom has the slight edge over Navigon due to the ability to use Third Party POI files, otherwise there is little to choose between the two - Mike
rogertb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the prompt reply - I'm guessing TomTom - the trip's costing a load so I guess the cost (equal to a tank of petrol) can only make the journey easier ! Thanks again Roger
rogertb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike ... how are you, still hanging around here then, you helped me loads a few years ago when I was after an HTC touch ... keep well Roger
shimamizu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This needs to be updated again as TomTom just released iPad support / dual version.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shimamizu wrote:
This needs to be updated again as TomTom just released iPad support / dual version.

Most of them need to be updated to be honest as well as the addition of CoPilot Premium, I've just not had time recently...

I'll add it to the ToDo list!

MaFt
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I had no trouble with the TT 1.9 update on my iPhone. Copied the entire TomTom folder to my PC (Diskaid) and, after the update, copied back mapsettings.cfg and all my poi/speedcam files.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just downloaded the IPad version of IGo Myway Primo from ITunes. On ITunes it is labelled V2.1.5 but once installed it calls itself V9.xxx - odd.
Anyway I noticed that the chart says that Igo supports 7 digit postcodes. I am not convinced that it does on this (latest) version. 4 digit - yes, 5 digits - sort of , 7 digits no. In fact I think the implementation of postcodes ( or lack of it) lets down an otherwise super product.
If anyone can demonstrate to me how to get 7 digit postcodes on THIS version please let me know.

Roy
WhiteFlash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: iGo Reply with quote

I have only 1 question... Do I need internet connection to use iGo programme on my iPhone?! Exclamation

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: