Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert Comes To Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert Comes To Android
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar sort of problem on my Desire as well, running frYo or 2,2.

I have about 75 apps on the thing, but this includes google maps, google search, google voice, google nav, handsent (which seems to take about 5MB and Flash which is 10MB!!!!

I have moved everything to SD than can, but even the apps on SD still have some components on the phone.

When I updated to 2.2 the install crashed because it needed either 15MB or 25MB to install (I can't remember now), anyway I had to ditch some apps to get it done then re-install them.

I have even ditched Astro - which I used a lot.

Now have about 31MB free, when I run the move 2SD app, it also frees up between 2.3 and 2.8MB from the app cache - it fills up again of course.

This is an issue that Google needs to sort, basically can't use the phone the way it was advertised and what I want to do as well.
At least be able to move the google stuff over, then more of the other Devs may follow the lead.

My 2 bobs worth - rant over. Smile

Cheers, Bob
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
Similar sort of problem on my Desire as well, running frYo or 2,2.

I have about 75 apps on the thing, but this includes google maps, google search, google voice, google nav, handsent (which seems to take about 5MB and Flash which is 10MB!!!!

I have moved everything to SD than can, but even the apps on SD still have some components on the phone.

When I updated to 2.2 the install crashed because it needed either 15MB or 25MB to install (I can't remember now), anyway I had to ditch some apps to get it done then re-install them.

Now have about 31MB free, when I run the move 2SD app, it also frees up between 2.3 and 2.8MB from the app cache - it fills up again of course.

This is an issue that Google needs to sort, basically can't use the phone the way it was advertised and what I want to do as well.
At least be able to move the google stuff over, then more of the other Devs may follow the lead.

My 2 bobs worth - rant over. Smile

Cheers, Bob

Yes, there are memory restrictions with the Desire (unfortunately), and short of moving and/or deleting apps may cause problems.

I upgraded from the Desire to the Desire HD, which alleviates such problems but obviously not a possibility for ervyone.

Format your phone, and start again with the apps you REALLY need perhaps??
Mv710.1561(W Europe)+Traffic, N82 connection to GPRS traffic
+
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
This is an issue that Google needs to sort
I am no lover of Google, but I am not convinced that this issue is just down to them to fix.

The handset manufacturer has a responsibility to configure the handset with sufficient memory to run all the programs mentioned in their sales material. For example, my Dell Streak comes with 2Gb internal memory, so 2Mb for an application like CamerAlert is a complete non issue.

Equally, many application developers do not make their programs suitable for running from SD card. In some cases (such as CamerAlert), this may be down to technical limitations but in many other cases it is nothing other than lazy programming.

Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My phone is unbranded, bought SIM free.
Not cluttered or bogged down with any air time provider stuff - apparently anyway.

I was really surprised to see how little 'free' memory there actually was.
I have about 8 games - all on the SD card.
About 7-8 Live wall papers - all on the SD card.

About 25 apps that are being shown as being on the phone memory.
As mentioned above they are all apps I use, I have about 4 that are 'candy' if you like, lookout a virus checker/phone security, backup pro (paid for), launcher x, quick settings and a couple of note takers and cameras. But they are all only showing as in the 100s of Kbs.
beutiful widgets is a must for me.

I don't really have many - if any, 'crapy apps.
i use it for email, certainly calender sync with my Mac, RAC traffic, London underground / TFL and train time tables.
That was why I bought it.

Have to go back to the Highland Park, hels calm my nerves Very Happy

Cheers, Bob
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip wrote:

Equally, many application developers do not make their programs suitable for running from SD card. In some cases (such as CamerAlert), this may be down to technical limitations but in many other cases it is nothing other than lazy programming.

In our case the application CAN be moved to SD card. That frees up a few MB. However the live database needs to stay on the device, and that's what you see under "Data" as eating up around 2 MB.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still running the last beta -- do I need to uninstall it before installing the market version?
burtonian
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:

Cheers, Bob

Try ESFileExplorer, I find it just as good - if not better - than Astro, and it can be moved to the sd card.
paddington1961
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: How much data is downloaded in map mode Reply with quote

Hi,

Currently I have EZcam in radar mode but would consider using this instead.

One question I have is does anyone know how much data is typically downloaded in map mode (If it helps I have a HTC Desire HD).

I am an HGV driver who would have this app running from Hull to say Penzance for example (Typically 8 to 9 hours).

Many thanks,

Jeremy
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How much data is downloaded in map mode Reply with quote

paddington1961 wrote:
One question I have is does anyone know how much data is typically downloaded in map mode (If it helps I have a HTC Desire HD).

As an experiment last year, I tested the data download on Google Maps while travelling 18 miles from Stafford to Wolverhampton, and it was about 1½ Mb (but I think that could do with being confirmed by other users).

Edit: It may be less now, as Google Maps is now vector-based and caches its data, so that your PDA shouldn't re-download a map of an area you've already had shown on your device (that's how I understand it, anyway).

With EZcam you don't have to have a map at all, as you've probably already found out, so you don't need to have any internet connection -- you need only to have your GPS running. Of course, you won't see a where the camera is on a map, only that there is a camera lurking within range -- but that's usually all you really need, especially if you have a tight data plan.

Last edited by AntonM on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which database does CamerAlert download? Only UK?... or what the user downloaded last time?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonM wrote:
Which database does CamerAlert download? Only UK?... or what the user downloaded last time?

You have access to speed camera data for whichever country you are in. The entire database is available.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How much data is downloaded in map mode Reply with quote

AntonM wrote:
With EZcam you don't have to have a map at all,

And similarly, in CamerAlert you can choose from Map, No Map or Map only when near Camera.
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How much data is downloaded in map mode Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
AntonM wrote:
With EZcam you don't have to have a map at all,

And similarly, in CamerAlert you can choose from Map, No Map or Map only when near Camera.

Ah, I didn't know that -- cool! Smile
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
AntonM wrote:

You have access to speed camera data for whichever country you are in. The entire database is available.

Thanks for that, Darren. Can one select on the PDA which database one wants? I can't recall seeing an option to do that. I'm going to SA soon and I'll want to be armed with that db as well.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need, all the data is downloaded. Just ensure you have the latest database before you leave and set CamerAlert to No Map to ensure you do not use any data whilst roaming.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: