Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - navigon 40 satnav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

navigon 40 satnav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scenar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: navigon 40 satnav Reply with quote

this device has a poiwarner,but is another warner required in order to load and operate the pocket world speed cams, with ogg files.
The speed warning on the navigon, to say, the least is inadequate"watch your speed" and no warning of approaching cameras The pocket world system gives sound warnings when approaching cameras, and with the ogg files various verbal warnings.for example "gatso30"
I see other poi warners are available ,but can they use ,or are they capable of the same performance as the pocket world programe?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: navigon 40 satnav Reply with quote

scenar wrote:
this device has a poiwarner,but is another warner required in order to load and operate the pocket world speed cams, with ogg files.

Yes for the speedcams, no support for .ogg files though.

You need the full version of POI-Warner, available from Navigating.de.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a bit of a (hopefully temporary) problem here. A few bits of 'good/bad' news:

- the 40 does have Navigon's camera database installed - check your settings to make sure they display properly. It's actually fairly reasonable but won't be as uptodate as PGPSW's and almost certainly does not have mobile cameras or specs (Average Speed Cameras, used mainly in roadworks);

- you CAN load PGPSW onto the 40 using the MyPOIs facility, but you won't be able to load them all because of a limit on the number of POIs which can be stored. Need to check your manual for how to set up your POIs, but the limit will be either 1,000 or 10,000. The full PGPSW database runs to about 13,000. I have loaded just specs and redlights on mine and rely for the moment on Navigon for the fixed cameras;

- there is a 3rd-party add-on (from navigating.de), ALSO called "POIWarner", which will allow all of the PGPSW cameras to be loaded, BUT you will need Version 4 of this, and that will probably not be available in the UK for a month or two (or three). I do not think the current version is compatible with the new range 40, etc, and even if it was, it's not as good a product as V4 should be.

Hope that helps a bit. Have a look at a couple of Navigon threads which discuss the loading of POIs on the new range. When you get around to thinking what you are going to load, come back here for any problems or issues the manual, etc doesn't help with.
scenar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: navigon 40 Reply with quote

- the 40 does have Navigon's camera database installed - check your settings to make sure they display properly. It's actually fairly reasonable but won't be as uptodate as PGPSW's and almost certainly does not have mobile cameras or specs (Average Speed Cameras, used mainly in roadworks);

-thank you for your reply.
It is the audable elements of the speed cam warnings I am hoping to get onto the navigon,. the visual side of it is fine.
scenar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: navigon 40 satnav Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes for the speedcams, no support for .ogg files though.

You need the full version of POI-Warner, available from <a href="http://www.navigating.

thank you for the information. Will this warmer have as good sound warnings as the pocket world. and what is the difference in effectivenes between the poibase programe, and the one you suggest?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound - this is a bit of an unknown at the moment. Sound files can be imported with the current Version 3 of POI-Warner, but there is some confusion at the mo over the situation in Version 4 (at least with me!). I have a question in with navigating.de about this.

What exactly do you mean by
Quote:
what is the difference in effectivenes between the poibase programe, and the one you suggest?
?
scenar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Sound - this is a bit of an unknown at the moment. Sound files can be imported with the current Version 3 of POI-Warner, but there is some confusion at the mo over the situation in Version 4 (at least with me!). I have a question in with navigating.de about this.

What exactly do you mean by
Quote:
what is the difference in effectivenes between the poibase programe, and the one you suggest?
?

thanks again,I think you have answered my question. I am hoping that the sound effects ,including speech ,(ogg files) as in the "pocket" system could be installed in the navigon.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ scenar - Just received this reply about the 3rd-party POI-Warner, so all should be ok, once V4 is released
Quote:
The display of the POIs on the map depends on the installed MobileNavigator 7 version.
If you have a MobileNavigator 7.6 or higher, the POIs will be displayed on the map.
If this is not the case and your MN7 is older than version 7.6, then the POIs are displayed only when the passing the place where the POI is located.

Sound warnings for the imported POIs can be set without any problems.

MN7.6 is what you will have on your 40.

Minor point to note is that (probably) the sound files will need to be in WAV format, not OGG. Conversion, if necessary, is pretty straightforward with something like Audacity (see recent thread as&when), but I think PGPSW has WAV format sound files already somewhere (I don't remember having to convert)
scenar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The display of the POIs on the map depends on the installed MobileNavigator 7 version.
If you have a MobileNavigator 7.6 or higher, the POIs will be displayed on the map.
If this is not the case and your MN7 is older than version 7.6, then the POIs are displayed only when the passing the place where the POI is located.

Sound warnings for the imported POIs can be set without any problems.

MN7.6 is what you will have on your 40.
Many thanks for all the replies.
A friend has all the features on her tomtom, but hates the directions and claims it is always inaccurate.
I have found,so far, the navigon is excellent, the tts is a godsend to me. If only
the features on the tomtom -speed camera sound and verbal warnings could be incorporated into the navigon system by navigon.
Many thanks again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: