Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 770 saying "Can't Unlock Maps"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 770 saying "Can't Unlock Maps"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r21442
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Nuvi 770 saying "Can't Unlock Maps" Reply with quote

Nuvi been in the car all winter. Put it on last night and came on OK, seemed unable to get sats and some favorites were missing. Tried a few on/offs. At one point it asked what country I was in - never done that before. Eventually it said can't unlock maps. Don't see much in manual. At one point my 8 yo was pressing icons - could he have screwed it?

Help!
r21442
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that Garmin lock is off and I tried the slide the power button for 8 secs to reset.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 770 saying "Can't Unlock Maps" Reply with quote

For whatever reason, (flat battery, interrupted boot, who knows?), it's lost its map unlock code file(s). For some reason, this is deleted when the unit is shipped - it doesn't usually matter, 'cos it's only read once - except when this happens.

Given that the 770 has Europe & North America maps, you've presumably lost both codes, for it to give this message.

You can confirm in "Tools | Map | Map Info".

You need to enter the codes in \Garmin\GMAPPROM.UNL and \Garmin\GMAPPROM1.UNL (not sure which is which on that unit). The code takes the form of a 25 digit number and is entered without spaces (use Notepad or similar).

If you don't have the codes, you'll have to get 'em from Garmin - either by phone, or by registering the unit at http://my.garmin.com

Last edited by PhilHornby on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
r21442
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil - a discharged battery may have accounted for it? Anyway, I looked in the folder you ref and don't see any .UNLs in there. I brought up my backup on my PC and the contents look identical. No .UNLs?

I accessed Garmin. I don't remember having seen before the connectivity tools? Plugged in, logged in, recognised and offered me a firmware update which I accepted. It ran OK but I'm still map locked. I see my maps & code on ther site but how hard do they make it - why oh why not a simple button to re-unlock when the tool has clearly talked with and recognised my registered product? Searched their FAQs but keeps going round in circles offering me new maps which I'm bu$$ered if I'm buying! I've raised a ticket with them.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r21442 wrote:
Anyway, I looked in the folder you ref and don't see any .UNLs in there. I brought up my backup on my PC and the contents look identical. No .UNLs?

I accessed Garmin..... I see my maps & code on ther site ...

No, the .UNL files probably never existed in all the time you've owned the device - presumably they're deleted before it's put in its box. The info. they contained got read in by the Nüvi and it's never needed to access them again - until now. (I don't know why they delete these files - they never used to).

You need to recreate them, using the codes that you can see on the my.garmin web site.

Last edited by PhilHornby on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
r21442
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

I got excellent & prompt support from Garmin which tbh was a surprise given what I'd read elsewhere. It turned out the missing .UNL was the problem and the fix. Interestingly, they sent just one UNL with both map unlock codes in. Didn't know to do that.

Thanks anyway. Every day a school day!
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: UNL filename Reply with quote

r21442 wrote:
Interestingly, they sent just one UNL with both map unlock codes in. Didn't know to do that.!

No, I didn't either.

What was the filename of the .UNL they supplied?

Last edited by PhilHornby on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Burn180
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what Garmin you have. It will be

gmapsupp.unl (or)
gmapprom.unl

.unl being the extention
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burn180 wrote:
It will be

gmapsupp.unl (or)
gmapprom.unl

That's not quite what I meant...

I know the .UNL normally matches the .IMG file, and I also know that you can have multiple unlock codes in the .UNL, if there are multiple regions in the .IMG.

What I've not seen before, is a single .UNL file containing multiple unlock codes for multiple .IMG files...

(In this case, I would have expected GMAPPROM.UNL to contain the unlock for GMAPPROM.IMG and GMAPPROM1.UNL to contain the unlock for GMAPPROM1.IMG - but apparently, another combination is also possible!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: