Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is HD Traffic working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is HD Traffic working?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Is HD Traffic working? Reply with quote

I thought my device was working too well to be true; no problems today, until this evening. Planning a route from home to one of my favourites, a distance of 85 miles, HD traffic was indicating no delays. Unusual I thought and so I tried a route to another favourite, a distance of 437 miles, still no delays en route. This made me suspect something was not right, so I planned a route fom home to Valetta in Malta, a whopping 1853 miles. My traffic bar is showing no delays. I've checked My Services; all is OK, and I've checked that all other Live services are working. So, what's the problem? Any ideas?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD Traffic will only show issues within the UK if thats where you are currently located, if you have one of the newer 1000/ 1005 or VIA units then they only show traffic data in a much more local area to your present location.
Has the device got a GPS position fix as this will affect traffic data, otherwise perhaps the UK's roads aren't that busy tonight, note the USA appear to be having "fun" with the Traffic service both yesterday and today so it could be as simple as a server crash - Mike
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. Yes I have a GPS position fix, but it's impossible to drive from Wiltshire to Dundee with no delays whatsoever. Another route I tried was from home to an address in Hammersmith, which also indicated no delays, so maybe it is a server problem. You know what they say, "If it's not one thing, it's another". I think lately that would be a good motto for TomTom.
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
HD Traffic will only show issues within the UK if thats where you are currently located

My 1005 shows traffic issues both sides of the channel within (approx) 100 mile radius, when on either side of the channel.

mikealder wrote:
if you have one of the newer 1000/ 1005 or VIA units then they only show traffic data in a much more local area to your present location

The traffic is shown over quite a wide area but only incidents within about 40 miles are used in delay calculations.

To the OP, do you see any incidents if you show traffic on map?
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked again this morning and on start up, HD traffic indicated 3 incidents affecting 8 miles. I then entered navigate to John O'Groats. No delays on route! So something has gone wrong again. There is no way there would be no delays on a journey of 639 miles.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here esp at London. TT Traffic showing loads of delays all over but not on the route you tried. At 8 am in the morning on a Saturday what delays are you expecting?

Just because you believe there should be delays on a long route doesn't mean there will be. I've done the Durham to London run and back many times without delays (plenty of times with too) but just because the M1 is notorious for delays and roadworks should i not believe it when TT Traffic tells me there is no delay? Are there specific delays you know of that TT Traffic is not reporting?
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you are right and I am looking for a non-existant problem. However, I will keep checking different routes throughout the weekend.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: