Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help needed to test our CamerAlert application on Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed to test our CamerAlert application on Android
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
travisb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed and running happily on my Advent Vega tablet, which is connected to an old Qstarz BT GPS receiver. Apart from the small map size, everything seems to work so far Very Happy
bigwol
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Beta CamerAlert for Android Reply with quote

Loaded it on Orange San Francisco (ZTE Blade) running Android 2.1, loaded fine, and informed me that the database was out of date. Followed instructions to register the android phone, and then successfully uploaded the database.

Every time I try to run it I get the following error message.

Sorry!

The application CameraAlert (process.com.pocketgpsworld.cameralert) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

with a single option button 'Force close'

This is with GPS running, and able to locate position in Google Maps / Navigation.

Any ideas?[/b]
wile
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few comments (Desire Z):
- I get Force Close when I exit the application, not always though
- sometimes I get white screen instead of a map
- it tells me my database is out of date even though the latest one has been downloaded and matches the version number
- camera submission process is a bit puzzling to me. I wanted to "spot again" a mobile camera which is near my house which I indeed had seen 2 days ago, but I turned off immediate submission in options so that I can make sure I check everything before submitting. So now I can access the list of cameras ready to be submitted (with one item on it) but can't find the way to actually submit it.
- I use Tasker, a great Android tool which lets you ruch things or change settings depending on circumstances such as location, app running in foreground etc. A very popular profile among Tasker users is "turn GPS on when certain application is launched, turn off when the application exits". This saves battery juice by turning GPS on only when certain apps such as Maps are running. The problem is that Tasker turns GPS on when application starts but it takes some time until GPS actually starts and can be detected as on. CamerAlert apparently tries to detect GPS immediately after start and at this point GPS is still off, it will be actually on in I think a bit more than a second although this might vary from device to device. So on behalf of all Tasker users I would like to ask for another GPS detection attempt say 3 seconds after CamerAlert starts. Obviously we can always force detection by pressing the crosshair button twice, but then it's not automatic and too convenient any more. Thanks.

I've not used it driving though so these comments are all from living room.
Choppa-Parry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good work guys!

On my HTC Desire I noticed that when the app turns off GPS on exit, it leaves the icon in the task bar as GPS is still active although GPS has actually been turned off. All I have to do to get it all squared up again is to go to the widget to turn GPS on and off click the icon and it all syncs up again
Brian-Air
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Beta CamerAlert for Android Reply with quote

Installed easily on Desire Froyo 2.2, linked to my subscription no problem and seems to run fine in "Sofa mode".

My main observations so far are:

1. When manually panning around the map whilst zoomed out the camera icons are so big that they obscure most of the map. Can they be made to scale smaller as the map is zoomed out?

2. When swiping your finger to pan the map, if a camera icon is swiped over then the "camera actions" screens are selected for these cameras instead of panning the map. Surely when swiping to pan around, and not tapping the screen, the cameras should not be "tappable" like the web browser, Google Maps, etc.

Otherwise it looks great. I've been waiting patiently for us Android users to get CamerAlert so that was a nice xmas present! I'll test it out in the real world in a few days on the German autobahns on my way to Berlin.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to y'all :-)
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm delighted that PGPSW has produced this Android app -- thank you!

Just one point noted so far -- I've just tried it at home, i.e., not in anger, and see that the GPS remains on even after having tapped the "Exit" pad in CamerAlert -- the GPS symbol in the status bar remains visible, and from experience of other location apps, this shortens available battery charge. Or have I missed something?

Edit: I'm using Android 2.2 (latest OTA upgrade installed this morning) on an HTC Desire, and I see that this issue has already been raised above.
crazybones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for developing this app. It installed ok and runs fine, but I have the same 2 issues as previously posted:
GPS remains active on exit.
Warning on starting the app that the database is out of date although it had just been updated.

HTC Desire 2.2
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can help us identify the bugs by sending us the crash logs. They are located on the SD card, under

/Android/data/com.pocketgpsworld.cameralert/files

Please send them to lutz at pocketgpsworld dot com

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
alistairm1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: CamerAlert for Android Reply with quote

Hi,
Running this on an HTC Desire HD, and all seems to working OK. I get the verbal alert reminding me to update, but as I already have, I put this down to it being Beta.
I have not experienced the GPS being left active when I exit, The icon disappears from the task bar as soon as I select exit, or deselect the Location icon (first on the left).
I do get the move into camera details screen when panning but not sure that this isnt just user error. I will be making some more tests later.
The only 'problem' I have is that the map is oriented based on magnetic North. This has the effect of showing a map which is "upside down" (or at least the street names are) when in 'couch' mode.

Splendid effort and looking forward to this being released on the Market.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
bigwol
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Strange but true . . Reply with quote

Further testing with CamerAlert reveals that as long as it does not achieve GPS Lock, all is well, while the Ball is Red it will display nearby cameras and report the number of cameras found. But as soon as it acquires a solid GPS Lock and turns the ball Blue - it falls over and displays the

Sorry!
------------------
The application CareAlert (process.com.pocketgpsworld.cameralert) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.
macpherson3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: First Impressions Reply with quote

I have been using Radardroid for the last year with pocketworldgps database and i think that CameraAlert has some work to do to match this system. The following would help to compete:

The Navigation style vehicle speed indicator needs to be larger rather than the small display at the top left of the screen as this is the main area i watch when traveling or at least an option.

Speed limit warning needs to fill the screen when activated rather than the small display at the top right of the screen.

Actual speed limit for the road you are traveling on.

Bluetooth auto start-up.

Auto zoom is good but + and - should be added to the map screen.

Auto Mute warnings when below speed limit.

Distance to speed camera should be in distance not time.

Variable distance to speed camera according to vehicle speed.

I think the rest of the system is very good but i think that the above additions would make it top notch. I hope this helps.

Macpherson3
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
You can help us identify the bugs by sending us the crash logs. They are located on the SD card, under

/Android/data/com.pocketgpsworld.cameralert/files

Please send them to lutz at pocketgpsworld dot com

Sent one in for the app crashing when I exit the app using the back button. Other than this is seems to be working as planned
LittleDuceCoupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Cam Alert for Android Reply with quote

Downloaded this onto my Samsung GALAXY S FROYO. All seems OK but I would like to ask if the app will run in the background while I am navigating with GOOGLE Maps?
Which one should I turn on first, the navigation or the Alert app?
Also the camera icons are massive when the map is zoomed-out.

Dave.

SAMSUNG Galaxy S8 - CoPilot Europe and Australia

purplepiglet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Archos 5 IMT Reply with quote

Doesn't work on my Archos 5 internet media tablet. Although it seems to load ok I get an error message Android have to force a close
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Archos 5 IMT Reply with quote

purplepiglet wrote:
Doesn't work on my Archos 5 internet media tablet. Although it seems to load ok I get an error message Android have to force a close

Can you see if you got a crash log? Most likely your tablet is missing the GPS hardware. We may need to make the presence check a bit softer.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: