Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Roadhawk in-car camera GPS and black box system
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Roadhawk in-car camera GPS and black box system
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kengaru
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worried wrote:
any clue how much it costs, their web site tells you nothing, not even a valid retailer

It's well known as XDriven DRS-1100/DRS-1100Pro. You should search for it at Google or Ebay.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one major problem with these units. When the sun gets on the lens they just totally white out. Very bad at this time of year with the sun low in the sky.

I noticed in another thread on the forum that someone said the image quality is poor in that even sitting behind a stationary car it cannot capture the reg no. I have noticed this as well. But I also have a cheap unit purchased from fleebay, about £45 and the picture quality is far better. It has no gps, but you can switch it to show video time and date stamp on the recorded video. This cheap unit also has a built in battery that lasts about 2.5 hours from one full charge, and can also use 2-32GB sd cards.
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: RoadHawk whiteout Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
There is one major problem with these units. When the sun gets on the lens they just totally white out. Very bad at this time of year with the sun low in the sky.

Sorry, I disagree.
I've a RoadHawk fitted and find that even in bright sunlight and facing the sun I still get a reasonable picture (see below but note the black dot in the sky is the sun)

The only time I had a whiteout, by the sun, was when trying out various screen locations for the unit. I found the best place was behind the rear view mirror but within the swept area of the wipers.

If the screen, in front of the lens, is dirty the sun will illuminate this and cause a whiteout.

I found the only drwback with the roadhawk is storing all the files but solved this by using a 500 Mb plug-in hard disk just for these files.

[/img]
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say that mine hasn't suffered from such issues either and I am more than able to resolve and read number plates.
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was looking on the Roadhawk web site as i like the look of the RH-1 and from the links on there i ended up on one of the registered sellers - Dogcam - they are also selling the Novus BlackVue, which can be non GPS or with GPS.
I think the BlackVue is smaller than the Roadhawk, but thats just going of the pictures i've seen of both units. The BlackVue has a parking mode - so that while your cars parked up and if by chance someone bumps you it will record the evidence for you.
Still thinking over which one to get, there both the same price and both link up with Google maps as well.

Cheers

Keith

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keithmillar wrote:
Was looking on the Roadhawk web site as i like the look of the RH-1 and from the links on there i ended up on one of the registered sellers - Dogcam

Dogcam is Roadhawk's parent company.
Quote:
- they are also selling the Novus BlackVue, which can be non GPS or with GPS.

Can't see any GPS version on Dogcam's site. The GPS add-on for th BlackVue does rather spoil its small form factor though.
Quote:
I think the BlackVue is smaller than the Roadhawk

Possibly but I've never considered it large, it's easily hidden by the rear view mirror and doesn't attract attention.

I'd suggest considering the Roadhawk RH2. It's more expensive but has a rear-view/interior camera as well. That would be far more useful than a parking mode IMO?
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keithmillar wrote:
Was looking on the Roadhawk web site as i like the look of the RH-1 and from the links on there i ended up on one of the registered sellers - Dogcam - they are also selling the Novus BlackVue, which can be non GPS or with GPS.
I think the BlackVue is smaller than the Roadhawk, but thats just going of the pictures i've seen of both units. The BlackVue has a parking mode - so that while your cars parked up and if by chance someone bumps you it will record the evidence for you.
Still thinking over which one to get, there both the same price and both link up with Google maps as well.

Cheers

Keith

The only thing I can see on the DogCam site is this comment:

Please note: The DR300 records video, audio and G-Force data. It does not record GPS data (speed/position).

Or am I looking at the wrong item Exclamation
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
keithmillar wrote:

Cheers

Keith

The only thing I can see on the DogCam site is this comment:

Please note: The DR300 records video, audio and G-Force data. It does not record GPS data (speed/position).

Or am I looking at the wrong item Exclamation

Sorry my mistake Rolling Eyes - what i should have added that from the DogCam site i Googled the the BlackVue, which in turn gave me a link to the Novus web site, and from there i saw that you could have a GPS unit or a none GPS unit.
Also worth mentioning that the unit without the GPS is £40 cheaper at £159.99. Smile

Cheers

Keith

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave Novus a call today to ask about how their camera works while parked up.
From what i was told the BlackVue can work in 2 ways - from the ignition or cigarette lighter, but both must be able to work while the key is out of the ignition. Now i know that my lighter socket works while the key is out as my TT540 shows me that it is charging while i have the keys in my hands. I also know that my ignition is only drawing power when the key is turned, and my radio only works when the key is turned as well. However, only my last car, the radio worked without having the key in the ignition and the wired mobile phone socket worked as well.
I'm sure i good auto electrician could sort this out.
As for the parking camera - from what i was told it works on a motion sensor which starts the BlackVue recording, and then will closed down once - person or car move out of range. It would appear if i understand this correctly that power is only drawn when the need for recording is required

As i was asking questions to Novus today i was asked my my e-mail address and i now an owners manual for the BlackVue in PDF form - should make an interesting read.

Cheers

Keith

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, I would ask them what the current draw from the vehicles 12V supply is going to be with the device in standby (waiting to be knocked) and when recording then work out whether the car battery can stand it.

For example if you were to park the car at Manchester airport for two weeks the jet noise alone might activate the camera on a number of occasions resulting in a flat battery in the car.

I have experianced jet noise setting off devices that are "motion activated" in the past, that said the jets where I park up daily are a bit louder than the pax planes going out of a civil airport! - Mike
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Keith, I would ask them what the current draw from the vehicles 12V supply is going to be with the device in standby (waiting to be knocked) and when recording then work out whether the car battery can stand it.

For example if you were to park the car at Manchester airport for two weeks the jet noise alone might activate the camera on a number of occasions resulting in a flat battery in the car.

I have experianced jet noise setting off devices that are "motion activated" in the past, that said the jets where I park up daily are a bit louder than the pax planes going out of a civil airport! - Mike

Yes Mike, good point,
i'll see what i can get from them

Cheers

Keith

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
adams901
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have been using one of these for 2 days but have 2 issues.

1) The video looks pixelated and not as good as some of the youtube videos I have seen.

You can see a video I took earlier today http://fsfa.org/1.avi

2) When viewing the video the MPH seems to be 2 to 3 seconds out, for example, I will come to a stop in the video but the MPH doesnt show 0 until a couple of seconds later, when I pull away the speed doesnt start increasing until a couple of seconds.

The settings I have been using are

VGA
Fine
30FPS

I have emailed roadhawk for their advice, but was wondering if anyone who uses it on here can give their thoughts?

Cheers
Adam
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello adams901

I've had a Roadhawk fitted for some time and looking at your video it looks normal (to me) basically the same recording quality I get with the same settings.

You must remeber VGA resolution is only 640 x 480 and on a modern screen (probably running around 1280 x 1024 resolution) it will appear pixilated.

If you want better quality you would have to use a device running a much higher resolution, more dependent on light levels, higher costs and a requirement for a huge data storeage.

I used to record routes from in-car, usinga digital video cameras, this produced higher res results but huge file sizes and very light dependent.
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
adams901
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

If it is normal then that's cool, was just worried the unit may not be working properly as the videos I have seen on you tube seem to be less pixilated (for example the main one of the car doing 125).

But as you say, lighting conditions may be playing a part in it as it has been quite gloomy recently.

Regards
Adam
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed on Ebay that the Chinese have started to copy the Roadhawk RH-1

Just search for: dvr gps black box

Even uses google maps etc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: