Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Default Route Save Location
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Default Route Save Location
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sobbomapper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Default Route Save Location Reply with quote

Hi Folks -

Recently had a service done by Satmap, and the unit came back with 1.5 installed. I was used to having routes saved to the SD card as both the .map and the Raw.gpx formats.

Now files get saved to Internal Memory, and I can't change this.

Anyone know how to set this up ?

cheers, Martyn
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copy the route the the SD card which allows me to edit the route without screwing up and messing it up entirely. I can at least then go back to the other saved original to start again.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
I copy the route the the SD card which allows me to edit the route without screwing up and messing it up entirely. I can at least then go back to the other saved original to start again.

Yes I copy the route to the SD card as well,then should something like standing on a railway station platform and calmly deleting ones prospective walking route thereby spoiling a day out would not happen.

Do not enquire as to how I know this.

Ian
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martyn

You have beaten me. I always save to SD card but felt sure there was a way to set the option and that someone would rapidly tell you. However as they have not I have been over my machine and read and re-read the A10 and Satsync manuals for the latest and previous versions. Sadly to little avail.

All I can see is that if the SD card is not present then the routes are saved to the A10 so I wonder has your SD card got the write protect tab set?

If not the only other thing I am aware of where you have an option of SD card or A10 is the loading of the POI icons. Mine are loaded to the SD card. If your SD card will accept routes written to it by copying or moving then maybe, just maybe, if you have set the POI icons to be loaded onto the A10 it has set a flag that automatically directs routes there as well.

So a couple of ideas but if these don't work and no one else can help you ring Satmap after Christmas and post their response here.

Good luck.
Satsync 1.525
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed that when saving routes or POI's via Satsync it used to give you the option of where to save them but that does not happen now,by default it saves them to,I think,the A10.

Couldn't swear to the location at the minute as my A10 is not connected but anyway the "Choice" box seems to have vanished.

Ian
wphil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just happened to see this. As an experienced user I don't check the forums much anymore.

Anyway. As far as I know you can't change the default - when you open satsync it has the internal memory selected.

However you can save things to where ever you like (space allowing) by just navigating to the appropriate folder, so to save to the SD card select the SD card in the LH pane and then import. If you have subfolders you can navigate to those and import directly to there if you want.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
Martyn

You have beaten me. I always save to SD card but felt sure there was a way to set the option and that someone would rapidly tell you. However as they have not I have been over my machine and read and re-read the A10 and Satsync manuals for the latest and previous versions. Sadly to little avail.

All I can see is that if the SD card is not present then the routes are saved to the A10 so I wonder has your SD card got the write protect tab set?

If not the only other thing I am aware of where you have an option of SD card or A10 is the loading of the POI icons. Mine are loaded to the SD card. If your SD card will accept routes written to it by copying or moving then maybe, just maybe, if you have set the POI icons to be loaded onto the A10 it has set a flag that automatically directs routes there as well.

So a couple of ideas but if these don't work and no one else can help you ring Satmap after Christmas and post their response here.

Good luck.

Following on from this thread, I think I may have come across another 'fuuny one' but I nned someone to confirm or double check.
On completeing a walk I close the 'Trip Log' by selecting 'Reset Trail and Convert'. It imeadiately saves it to the A10 Internal Storage, I assume now by default. At this stage, and on the 'viewing' option, I can see the walk just done. Now selecting the 'Profile' option, I can see 'ups and downs' of the walk and, all the small print in the middle of the page, (some of which means nothing to me, eg, StLine..and the many mph options.) is clear to see.
However,on transferring the walk to the SD card it no longer shows this info/'small print', just the outline of the ups and downs of the walk. My question is, why this should be, or is it me and the settings I have ?
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I must make the point that unlike most who have posted here I find that my routes are saved to the SD card when I "convert trail to track". I'm very happy with this but now do not know how to change it even if I wanted to.

I think that the "small print" FrequentFlyer is referring to is the Triplog screen. As far as I can tell the triplog data is always saved to internal memory and remains there independent of any saved .map or large .gpx files (which, as I said above, are on the SD card).

So to repeat (hopefully for clarity) it appears to me that after a "reset" followed by a walk/ride done with the triplog active, there are three files. These are the triplog data which appears to be in an undetectable file in the internal memory. A very detailed .gpx file and the normal reference .map file. The latter two in my case being on the SD card.

The "small print" of the Triplog screen remains available to me whatever I do with the map and gpx files until I reset the log. Whenever I view the profile of a map file on the A10 the data provided is always much more limited.

I hope that helps someone!
Satsync 1.525
ChrisJakarta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding some different outcomes compared with those reported here:

1. After recording a trail, if I "Reset All & Convert", there is no option about where to save - it automatically saves the track to the SD Card.

2. If there is no SD Card, or it is Write Protected, there is an inconsistency. Usually the track is saved to Internal Memory, but sometimes not with no warning. I have not found any reproducable reason for this inconsistency, but seems like it will need further investigation.

3. I do not believe that there are three files involved. The .map file, if saved to PC as .gpx using SatSync, contains the 'small print' in the 'desc' field of each recorded WP, e.g.:

02/01/2011, 08:36, Odo9.92km, TotTime01:46, StLine10m, Mov01:44, AveMov5.7kph, Now3.2kph, Ave5.6kph, Max8.9kph

4. I do see the "small print" below the "ups and downs" in the "Profile" option for all WPs on all saved tracks on the SD Card (and internal memory).

Chris
sobbomapper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - I've got things working

The 2Gb SD card was not write protected, and had about 450 Mb of free space, and could have files read from and written to in Windows XP. There were no hidden files.

I backed up all the route files from the SD card, with a view to first defragmenting or running some repair software. I then deleted some of the route files, and then tried to save a route after entering the SD card routes directory. Both *.map and *Raw.gpx now get saved to the SD card by default, with no message to choose locations.

This is using 1.45 on the Active 10, 09.02.21. I'm not sure I want to re-upgrade to 1.50 as other posters have not been able to get the SD card location by default.

But it's annoying that about 25% of the SD card capacity is unavailable ...

regards, Martyn
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sobbomapper said
Quote:
This is using 1.45 on the Active 10, 09.02.21. I'm not sure I want to re-upgrade to 1.50 as other posters have not been able to get the SD card location by default.

I am using 1.5 and getting the .map and large .gpx files both saved automatically to the SD card.
Satsync 1.525
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
I am using 1.5 and getting the .map and large .gpx files both saved automatically to the SD card.

LostMike, what is the exact software version you're getting these results with? (To find the exact software version goto Settings -} About -} then hit the top left button, then the top right button then the top left button again.)
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucevans asked
Quote:
LostMike, what is the exact software version you're getting these results with?.....

Same as you lad - 1.5.7618.0

This has also been the case for me, for as many back versions as I can remember.
Satsync 1.525
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHEN USING VERSION 1.5.

IMPORTING ROUTES VIA SATSYNC

If you are importing a route into satmap via satsync then you can choose where you save it. You simply navigate to the place you want to save it either Internal Memory or SD card, providing an SD card exists in the A10 and it is not write protected.

Some may argue that the internal memory is the default location on the basis that every time you load up satsync it opens on the Internal Storage folder, but it would not be a reason not to upgrade to v1.5 in my opinion.

CONVERTING A TRAIL TO TRACK

After a recording a trail using the red breadcrumb trail the default location for storing the track is the SD Card this was introduced in version 1.323 and has not changed in v1.5

Section 8.01 of the user manual states.

Quote:
If there is an SD card in the unit and it is not write-protected, by default the route will go into the SD Card folder. If there is no SD card in the unit, by default the route will go into the Internal Storage folder.

After recording a breadcrumb trail and performing "convert trail to track" two files are generated e.g. "2011-01-03_1152 179mi Raw.gpx" and "2011-01-03_1152 179mi.map"

The Raw file makes a very detailed record of your movements recording track point record every second if you are moving and therefore is quite a large file after a long walk. You can only view this in satsync. You will need the raw gpx file for accurate geotagging of photos.

e.g.
Quote:
trkpt lat="51.561537" lon="-1.819311" ele 95 ele time 2011-01-03T12:52:23Z time cmt 4.2 mph cm trkpt

The .map file is a edited or smoothed version of the raw file it contains less track points but contains some other data which can be seen in the profile of the route in satmap (referred to in an earlier post as small print).

e.g.
Quote:
rtept lat="51.559520880348" lon="-1.82352330776713" ele 99 ele time 2011-01-03T11:53:25Z time name WP3 name desc 03/01/2011, 11:53, Odo124ft, TotTime00:00, StLine114ft, Mov00:00, AveMov3.3mph, Now2.4mph, Ave3.3mph, Max3.9mph /desc sym Dot /sym /rtept

An imported route as opposed to recorded route does not contain the any trip data in the file because it doesn't exist and therefore you won't see this in the profile "small print"

THIRD MYSTERY FILE

As soon as you get a satellite lock your movements are automatically recorded in a file called "All_Raw_Tracks.gpx" this file is automatically created in the internal storage folder you can't choose this location it is always the internal storage. It continually records your movements until you perform a "Rest trail" at which point this gpx file will disappear (until your next satellite lock). "Rest log" will not do anything to this file.

If you always perform "Reset All and Convert" and then turn satmap off , the chances are you will never see this file. The only way to view the file in any case is via Satsync.

So do you ever start a walk an realise that at that point you didn't start the trip record? Well the chances are that your trail has been actually been recorded in the "All_Raw_Tracks.gpx". It can be exported like any route file.

Hope this helps

Gibbo10
My Blog Geocache Trails
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent summary Gibbo10.

I'm glad you found the bit from 8.01 of the manual.

It still does not seem to explain why Sobbomapper had the problem he reported at the beginning of this thread but he now seems to be happy.
Satsync 1.525

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: