Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Cameras Reprieved, Reconsidered, Axed and Anticipated
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Cameras Reprieved, Reconsidered, Axed and Anticipated
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
modorator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: The missing link Reply with quote

Two points that always seem to be missed when discussing cameras is that they cannot assess safety, 70mph on a 50 limit road at 3am may be safe, equally 40 on the same road in bad conditions may be totally unsafe!

The second is that the orgasmatron can issue fines and tickets to who it likes but if the owner has not informed swansea that they own the car and dont bother to insure it, or indeed have no money then its all pretty pointless. The only people who really get done are those who try to abide by (most of) the rules,

And disbelief soars when the punishment for somebody caught driving whilst banned is to then receive a ban...... You really have to ask where we are going with all this.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. The system is aimed at the easiest money making target. One of the reasons why we don't and never will collate the locations of ANPR set-ups. They at least target uninsured, unlicensed motorists.

The law is frequently made a mockery of by magistrates and sentencing guidelines. How it can ever be seen as fair and sensible to further ban a driver who has been caught flouting a disqualification is beyond me but it happens time and time again.

Same with penalty points and bans for drivers who have no licence in the first place. It ought to be a very simple tier, ban and or fine for first offence, community service for second and custodial sentence for third.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It ought to be a very simple tier, ban and or fine for first offence, community service for second and custodial sentence for third.
That's my boy. Build more prisons Very Happy
sailerman1951
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: cash cow Reply with quote

It amuses me how we the British public just accept out lot, in many ways like many I dislike the French peoples disdain for us but when it comes to sticking up for themselves they can show us the way to go, how much does it really cost us per mile in this country tax on the money we earn, tax on the car we buy tax on the fuel even on the insurance we buy, if we worked it out it would frighten us, and how much do they make out of our road tax after dvla have spent millions on checking up on us, if they really wanted to have a fair system then scrap road tax, put a surcharge on fuel so the old couple shopping once a week dont pay as much as the man travelling thousands of miles a week, the bigger and heavier motors also pay more, a insurance disc in the windscreen could easily be checked automatically and when the government ministers stop using jags for running about in and flying across the world to talk about how us motorists are killing the planet then I will stop feeling guilty about my range rover and stop putting my fingers up at forward facing speed cameras as I pass them on my bike,
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: cash cow Reply with quote

sailerman1951 wrote:
if they really wanted to have a fair system then scrap road tax, put a surcharge on fuel

Here here. It seems so obvious doesn't it? AND it would mean that all the foreign registered HGVs would be contributing more to the purse.

Has to be cheaper to administer, all but unavoidable unless you bilk the fuel and 100% fair as it targets the user at source.
Quote:
a insurance disc in the windscreen could easily be checked automatically

It's a lot easier to check insurance now and an insurance disc can be easily forged. But why don't we insist on an MoT sticker as they have in many mainland countries?

And whilst we're at it, we should move to plates that you take with you when you sell a car and then use on your new vehicle. And proper stamped and secured plates rather than allow anyone to make 'em up in bootsales and markets. Far too easy to get holf of hooky plates.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: cash cow Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
But why don't we insist on an MoT sticker as they have in many mainland countries?.

Darren wrote:
It's a lot easier to check insurance now and an insurance disc can be easily forged.

And an MoT sticker could not be easily forged ??? Surely it's as easier for Mr. plod to check MoT than is to check insurance?
Darren wrote:
And whilst we're at it, we should move to plates that you take with you when you sell a car and then use on your new vehicle.
With no transfer charge as at present with cherished plates Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailerman and Darren - Here, here. I'd go a bit further and increase the surcharge to include insurance too. That'd put an end to uninsured drivers.

Then put up ANPR cameras all over the place, linked realtime to chase cars. Penalty for infringements - sieze and crush.

Sure, it will upset the Big Brother theorists, but anything that deals with the rogue road users gets my vote.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds rather drastic DennisN ... or were you going to allow the people out of the vehicle first?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Sounds rather drastic DennisN ... or were you going to allow the people out of the vehicle first?
No. That'll make sure that they don't do it again Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I fail to understand in this day and age is why as a driver you need to display anything on the vehicle, all the details for MOT, insurance and Road Tax are available via the database the authorities have access to for checking.
If you are stopped these days and present documents for the car on the spot they are worthless compared to what the Police have access to via the database. Sure the database can (and does contain errors) but carrying documents is of no use so why do we even bother to do it?

Last time I was pulled in Manchester for a vehicle check due to a defective bulb I had to go to my local Police station and produce documents for the car, this was still the case after I produced all documents for the car on the spot and replaced the defective bulb - I was given 7 days to produce said documents but left it nearly three weeks in order to be cautioned, my statement included the officers badge number and the fact he ignored that I had repaired the bulb at the roadside and refused to accept the documents produced, no other defects were found on the vehicle despite there best efforts to find something - Jobs worth springs to mind, sadly I never got chance to follow this up as nothing more was said about the "offence" Real shame the Police still employ idiots like this IMHO, fortunately most officers are decent chaps and can see a common sense approach when presented with facts.

The cost in printing stupid little disks for us all to display for road tax alone is nothing short of ridiculous, I have nothing against paying for the distance/ fuel burn I go through, what I find annoying are the idiots paying nothing and still getting away with it.
When caught they get nothing more than a slap on the wrist and asked not to do it again, when they repeat offend its another slap on the wrist on a few hours of picking up litter at best.

With fuel hitting record high prices (most of which is government Taxation anyway) its about time the system was changed, adding further burden to fuel costs will hit everyone with higher prices in the shops for consumer goods. A whole new approach is needed to vehicle usage in this country as the current system only hammers those that want to play by the rules in the pocket - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: