Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Variable Speed Cameras On M42 Motorway
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Variable Speed Cameras On M42 Motorway
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alfygiz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Variable Speed Cameras On M42 Motorway Reply with quote

Why doesn't the PGPSW speed camera database warn you when approaching the "variable" speed signs, some with speed detector cameras on the M42 motorway in the West Midlands?, typically in the Solihull area.
Obviously, these are variable, but the PGPSW voice alerts are very good, but I never receive a warning for these camera locations, although my device is set to warn for ALL types of cameras whilst enroute.
Am I doing something wrong, or are we NOT meant to be given a warning for these camera locations?
TomTom GO 730 App 8.351 Map West & Central Europe V855.2884

Grateful for any positive replies
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The locations where cameras are actually placed are accurate in the database, the other "boxes" are simply dummys and do not contain any active camera. As its a Speed Camera database it makes little sense including empty grey boxes bolted to a Motorway gantry - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK these dummy sites have been checked using a radar detector to ascertain which ones are actually live.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and also confirmed as correct by someone who works for whatever company handles the cameras (sorry, details don't spring to mind at moment!!)

MaFt
marmitebcfc
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I have driven on the M6 in same area. I noticed about 7 gantrys with the grey camera boxes on (not sure if they are dummies or not Confused )I have submitted these to the database today.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...confirmed as correct by someone who works for whatever company handles the cameras...
Ah! - so that's how PGPSW keeps the Specs file so up to date! Razz
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marmitebcfc wrote:
Today I have driven on the M6 in same area. I noticed about 7 gantrys with the grey camera boxes on (not sure if they are dummies or not Confused )I have submitted these to the database today.

Did you check for "Dummy" icons on the submission map?
There are at least half a dozen dummy locations already marked on the M6 just north of the M42 intersection.
marmitebcfc
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I never checked the submission map as I use cameralert app to submit new camera locations. Just a thought I think it would be a good idear to put the dummy icon on the cameralert app so other users know they are dummies when they are driving past.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marmitebcfc wrote:
sorry I never checked the submission map as I use cameralert app to submit new camera locations.

Ahh, that's another problem with CamerAlert.... Confused

marmitebcfc wrote:
I think it would be a good idear to put the dummy icon on the cameralert app so other users know they are dummies when they are driving past.

I quite agree, and think they should be included in the other download too.

I actually have a POI category with all the M6 and M42 dummy camera positions on it, but I had to make it myself from the submission map.
It would be great if it could be included in the normal download and left up to the user whether they want to install it or not (a bit like the "pMobiles").
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy_p wrote:
I quite agree, and think they should be included in the other download too.

+1 vote for that (although I know that no-one asked for votes and I expect that MaFt's response will be "It aint going to happen"). Smile

The dummy cameras do seem to cause some confusion on here and I imagine that people will brake at the last moment when they see the cameras but didn't get a warning. (Yes, I know we shouldn't be speeding in the first place).

If I noticed them while driving and didn't get any warning I would log the position and attempt to submit them when I got home, all a bit of a waste of time when they are already known to be dummies. I can also see that it would be a problem for Cameralert users submitting over the air who never see the map with the dummy cameras on it
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll save MaFt the effort. It ain't gonna happen.

We have enough categories as it is, pMobiles is a PITA and we aren't going to fall into the trap of creating another category which will cause more confusion than it solves.
marmitebcfc
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution should be to mark the dummy cameras as a camera on the database this would then stop all the confusion. You have cameras on the Dartford crossing that have never been switched but are on the database (yes I am aware of the thread on the Dartford crossing) So it's just best to add the dummies to the database.
As I have said I use the cameralert app to add camera locations to the database But how do I know that I am not wasting my time and your time if I don't know they are all ready marked as a dummy camera.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. The database is for known active cameras and that's how it should remain.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who want a custm POI file for the dummy cameras on the M6/ M42 the information is available from the submissions page as to the locations so all you have to do is create your own POI file from the information provided, shouldn't take more than an hour in total - Mike
marmitebcfc
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spook there are over 50-100 fixed cameras that are are not active but are on the database (I agree to them being on the database) That way it eliminates confusion and false submissions.
To GPS staff
All I am trying to do is make suggestions on how PGS can make Cameralert even better and easier to use than it is now. I use the app and the tomtom app (thanks to Mike) everyday I drive over 100,000 miles a year hence the reason I can submit lots of new cameras. I have not always got the time to check if the cameras I am submitting are dummies (at least I now know of the dummies on the M42/M6.
Keep up the good work guys.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: