Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT XL Live IQR - Random Rebooting
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT XL Live IQR - Random Rebooting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnyprice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: TT XL Live IQR - Random Rebooting Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been posted before. Ive got a bit of an ongoing saga with my TomTom XL Live IQ Routes - it randomly crashes and reboots.

Originally there were no problems with my device, and I installed the PGPSW speed cameras on it many times, however one day it simply froze and rebooted, and has been doing so ever since. I contacted TT support who did the usual "run checkdisk [scandisk]", and even "back everything up and format the device", however this didnt work. Eventually they conceeded and sent me a 'refurbished' device (which i strongly suspect is the same device with a new serial number sticker), but the problem continues.

Ive tried everything on the (now out of warantee) new device, even stripping it down to the bare TT basics with NO additional things on there at all, but STILL it reboots.

Ive become accustomed to it, and the pattern seems to be that when it is turned on for the first time in the day it will freeze, reboot and then be fine for the rest of the day.

The unit is sluggish doing everything else that you would expect to happen lighting fast - you press the map to get the menu, and this takes between 2 and 3 seconds. When navigating through the menu structure each press takes a second or 2 to register, and typing is a nightmare!!

Do any of you have any cunning ideas, short of throwing the blasted thing out of the window and using a map?

Jon
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a terrific device when I got mine new, but it has gone that way too. I blame it on the Live services at startup (though it recurs for me during the day occasionally when I've switched off mid-journey, or if it drops the Live connection in bad reception areas).

Have you tried the Clearflash Tool? Download and run it three times (or more) - it is very uninformative, doesn't tell you what it does or how it's progressing and sometimes you can't tell that it has run even, hence run it at least three times. It's a sort of cure-all for memory and stuff and it sometimes helps. It doesn't do any harm (or at least, loads of people here have run it and not a single report of harm).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jonnyprice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not tried clearflash, so will give that a try.

It could be the live services thinking about it. It is usually the first switch on of the day, but sometimes it does crash when I turn it on after a stop somehwere.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you subscribe to the Live services provided by the device? if you don't use/ pay for the Live services pull the sim card out as this should disable the modem - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be lucky as mine has only done this a couple of times.

What I have found to help is to actually power the unit down, not put it in to standby. This clears the quickfix GPS data as well as restarts all of the services (modem and gps receiver) on power up.

To do this, when the unit is powered on hold the power button in for about 10 secs until you get the status screen (lots of small white text on a black screen).

Now let go of the power button.

Briefly press the power button again and the unit shuts down and powers off completely.

On powering up again it will take longer to boot up and acquire a satellite fix, but mine doesn't do this random rebooting that others experience and I normally power off like this.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: