Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 9.058 for x40 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

9.058 for x40 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'm sure this is something similar, the only problem being of course that you cant simply remove the battery on the TT 940 to perform this battery removal 'reset', so I assume by completely flattening it it performs a similar function...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A total discharge to a Li-Pol cell will kill it, what does seem interesting is repeated power ups until the devices own battery protection kicks in is needed to fully reset the device, why wasn't the simple procedure of holding the on/ off switch until the device reboots adequate.

Something doesn't seem quite right with this one, my guess is TT CS reset your account at their end once they realised the mistake - Mike
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Something doesn't seem quite right with this one, my guess is TT CS reset your account at their end once they realised the mistake - Mike

No I disagree Mike, for 2 reasons;

1. The SIM is inactive within the device - this is evident from when you interrogate the SIM through 'Status - Network' - the SIM does not show its IMEI number or any other SIM related information, and there is no mobile signal. If there were a server issue then you would still get the signal and SIM data displayed on the TT unit, but would simply not be able to connect. Also, Error 1001 reports 'There is a problem with your SIM Card contact TT support....'

2. TT CS are not even responding to me - my query remains as 'updated' where I left it yesterday - they havent even responded, so I don't think they will have reset anything. Too coincidental as well, and the 'flattening' trick worked for Claude as well as per my previous post (and from who I got the tip to try it).

I remain pretty sure that the software is upsetting the SIM which needs to powered down completely to reset it - as mentioned by others, when experiencing mobile phone issues they often recommend taking out the battery and reinserting it.

As an aside, after my fix yesterday, I used the unit for 80+ miles today, and travelled through all the areas where I was experiencing problems with V9.058. The unit (now back to V8.371 software) worked perfectly, responsively and reliably. I'm sticking with V8 now. It's a shame, as I like the V9 GUI, but I so rely on Live Traffic that I will have to stick with the older version to avoid a repeat of my last 2 weeks of hassle.

When my 940 was not working I did look briefly at buying a 1000/1005 - but having seen how they seem to be getting utterly slated I dont think I will bother just yet!

Dave
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravy (that seemed the best shortened form of your name for me Very Happy)

I had exactly the same problem a few weeks ago. Following the update, my Live services failed one day when the unit crashed, in my case while it was searching for a signal while I was still in a car park). After the crash, I got an error saying "there is something wrong with your sim card" or a similar statement.

The satnav worked, and so I rolled back to the old firmware. It made no difference, and still the sim card error persisted. Calls to TT were of no help whatsoever. In one final act of exasperation, I dismantled my unit (940) and removed the sim card. There was nothing obviously wrong inside. I put it back together and the error remained.

Sighing, I opened it up again and poked around the connections (just forlornly hoping that I could see something). I reassembled and connected to my PC. I then deleted all the files apart from the folders and forced a reinstall. This first installs the v8 firmware, which amazingly worked and connected to Traffic.

I then updated to v9 and it still worked... I have had a couple of crashes since then but it has always restarted fine. To this day I have no idea what went wrong, or what I inadvertently might have done under the lid to sort it. If all hope is lost and TT customer services are showing their usual lack of enthusiasm, why not give it a whirl. Al you need is a small torx driver and a prayer book of some denomination Very Happy

Cheers

weelogic
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its Dave actually - should I call you Wee? Laughing Out Loud ;-)...

Yeah, it is a bit weird. Interesting to hear your experience - as taking out the SIM would have reset it as per my battery drain flattening method, yet it didnt seem to work for you...

Glad you are getting V9 working ok, I'm fine with V8, and as it works ok I'm sticking with that.

Coincidentally had a response from TT CS since my last post, they acknowledge there is a problem with V9.058 which was supposed to correct the issues with V9.054, quote

'You are correct in your email and we were experiencing issues with the Application version 9.054. We have brought out the Application version 9.058 however, this has brought on other problems, which we did not realise would occur. We are very aware of these issues and we do hope that we can resolve them quickly.'

So that says to me steer clear of 9.058 for now...

Thanks for the tip on disassembly - if it goes again I must just try that ;-)

Dave
tez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

I have a go 940 and updated to the newest update but hate it it is so slow how do I go back to older navcore I dont have a backup in home as its asking for an sd card that was not there....

Thanks Terry
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tez wrote:
Hi all

I have a go 940 and updated to the newest update but hate it it is so slow how do I go back to older navcore I dont have a backup in home as its asking for an sd card that was not there....

Thanks Terry

Terry, these were the instructions given to my TT Support:

"Step 1 - Remove the Application

- Connect your navigation device to your computer.
- TomTom HOME starts.
- If HOME offers a new application, click Back.

- In HOME, click Manage My GO
- Select the Items on device tab and then select Applications.
- Click Remove Selected Items from the Device.
- Click on Manage My GO again.
- Select the Items on computer tab and then select Applications.
- Click Remove selected items.

Step 2 - Update the Application

- Select 'Update my GO
- Update and Install any software applications that are offered (you may be offered more than one application)
- Click on "Device" in the top left of HOME and then Disconnect
- Disconnect your TomTom device from your computer"

When you have removed the appication (Step 1), the first install will be back to V8.371 (Step 2). After the first update your GO will restart and ask if you want to connect to your computer (this would normally then update your device to V9.058). Just say no and disconnect, your device will then then remain at V8.371.

Job done.

This works as I was in the same boat as you, I had actually backed up V9.058, so couldnt go back, but I used the above and it worked fine. Since going back it works perfectly again.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Dave
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavyGravyDavy wrote:
.....I had actually backed up V9.058, so couldnt go back....

That sounds like you've been backing up using Home, which stupidly only allows one backup.

If you'd been backing up with Windows Explorer (as recommended here), then YOU would be in control of how many backups you keep, and whether to do full or partial ones to save space.

Instructions are in the FAQs.
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Explorer method thanks, but when I initially installed V9.058, and it appeared to work fine, then I backed it up. There doesn't seem much point to me in keeping loads of backups so my V8's were deleted as in case of a problem then I would reinstall my latest successful version, which at that time was V9.058.

It was only when it became clear (after quite some use) that V9.058 (as well as 9.054) were clearly bug ridden did I need to roll back, and had of course deleted the predecessors.

This was not a major problem though as I simply rolled back using the method as I have described, needless to say now have a backup of V8 as I dont want a backup of V9.xx as they dont work anyway.
tez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all done thanks Dave
I now have a sat nav that works Laughing Out Loud well just!! many thanks.... question why is the new version so Slowwwww on the GO 940

thanks Terry
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted.

I dont know what TT have done with the new software, but you only have to search the forums to see that there is an issue with it.

Like you, I found it very slow to aquire GPS on switch on (several minutes), even longer to obtain traffic (several miles), and then the complete loss of live services when in poor signal areas. Finally, the SIM locked up altogether as per my earlier posts. All in all, entirely unsatisfactory for what was supposed to be a software upgrade!

I didnt upgrade to V9.054 prior to 9.058, but apparently this stopped Live services working altogether, and V9.058 was meant to resolve this, but TT Support conceded to me (again see earlier post) that issues remain with this release as we have been seeing.

I have no idea what they have done in these V9 software releases, but I will be treating any future releases with extreme caution, and ensuring I have a known good backup as per Andy's post.

Good luck!

Dave
davemcwish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tez wrote:
Hi all

Thanks Terry

I had that, the new s/w looked good but I gave up after I got an almost 4 minute startup to traffic lock and loss of other services on my 940 Live. Raised ticket with you know who and 22 days later (today) they came back with the "Update the Application to v 8.371" fix

Words fail me.....
rbecking
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not been on here for a couple of months, still no fix regards the 9.058 traffic issues? Can't believe tomtom haven't released a working update yet, looks like will have to carry on using ver 8.3
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their latest response from last night was

Quote:
Firstly I would like to apologise as the application update is not yet available, the update is still being developed and should be available soon. I am terribly sorry as I do not have an exact date of availability.

This issue has effected a few customers and what we have been advising is to roll back the application to overcome the issue until the application is available.

To do this please see the below steps, if you have any questions please let me know before proceeding.

Connect your device to the computer, Open Tom Tom Home, Log In.

Once on the Main Menu, Select Manage my Go, Items on Device, Please place a tick next to Applications, Once this has been ticked click on Remove Items from Device.

We can now remove the Application from your computer.

On the Main Menu of Tom Tom Home select Manage My Go, Items on my Computer, Please place a tick next to Application, Once this has been ticked click on Remove Items from Computer.

Now these steps have been completed we can now update your device.

Select Update my Go, Here you will find a Application available for download, Tick this application and then select Update and Install.

You will only need to update your device once.

After the application has been installed please disconnect your device from the computer.

Once a valid GPS signal has been obtained please test the Live Services, the response time should be alot quicker.

Again I am sorry for the delay and for any inconvenience caused, I do hope the realise date for the latest application will be soon.
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the slow start-up, I thought I had 9.058 running nicely. Wrong! It all went funny over the last 2 weeks, started with Live services dropping, mostly HD Traffic, duplicate entries appearing in My Services, then this week every incoming phone call froze the screen and re-booted the device. Yesterday was the absolute pits!!!!! If you can think of anything to go wrong, it probably did. But today, everything is working as it should. Why? Because I have rolled back to 8.371 and will keep this until the new application is ready and useable. Have to say though that going back to 8.371 is a definite step back regarding graphics; the 9.058 interface is a huge improvement over 8.371.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 16 of 21

Jump to: