Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with iOs 4.2.1 and CamerAlert
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with iOs 4.2.1 and CamerAlert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Problems with iOs 4.2.1 and CamerAlert Reply with quote

Since updating my Iphone (3GS 16 gb) to version 4.2.1 CameraAlert will no longer work, I have reinstalled CA and make sure no other app is running.

When I open CameraAlert the start up screen appears then within few seconds the application shuts down.

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same problems?

Subject edited to clarify. PaulB2005
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine with me. I've run it and even updated the camera database a couple of times.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
timps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on this in case anyone else suffers from this problem as I did.

After doing some research and having problems with a few other apps that used maps and TomTom now not working after an upgrade to version 1.6 today I have found the answer.

Summary: after upgrading to 4.2.1, CameraAlert, urban spoon and now TOMTOM version 1.6 apps do not work anymore. After tapping their icons, I get a grey screen for about three seconds, the app quits and I am back to the home screen.

This happened after upgrading to iOS 4.2.1. I tried restoring and using my backup (multiple ones from different time frames): Same result.

I have now tried restoring without using the backup (clean iPhone) all apps work.

There is something in the backups that causes the apps to crash with reference to any app using maps or positioning.

I have found a few people on the net suffering the same problem with different apps on Ipad and Iphone since updating to 4.2.1 but none with CamerAlert just my luck Rolling Eyes .

I thought I would post just in case anyone else suffers the same problem.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, I know the guys were combing through your crashlogs to see if they can identify a cause so I'll feed this back to them.

That's a cause that had never occurred to me before.

Good to know that in this case the bug was not ours though!
timps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren I did reply on the support ticket and thanked them for their time.

I knew it was a strange one when no one else complained of a problem on here. Then more and more apps stopped working after I updated them so figured it must be an operating system bug.

I just figured backup restore would cure it.

The strange thing was the apps that others were complaining were not working on the net after updating to 4.2.1 were working on mine.

Anyway someone reported he had got Google maps working again (which was working fine on mine) by this method so I decided to give it a go.

I am just glad to have everything working again.

And once again thanks for trying to sort this out for me.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I can finally stop staring at code and scratching my head...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
timps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Thank you. I can finally stop staring at code and scratching my head...

Yes sorry about being landed with a problem that was not the apps fault Rolling Eyes & thanks again for your time on trying to help me out on this one.

I lost count of the times I deleted the app, re-downloaded it from Itunes, reinstalled from backup of varying dates all to no avail.

Since my clean install it has multi tasked with tom tom flawlessly so all is great again.

But Sky Record would not work yesterday Shocked tried reinstalling from back up, no joy, so fresh install once again and everything now works Razz

Others have reported different apps being affected by 4.2.1 so its a strange one that affects a very tiny percentage of users.

It was unfortunate that Camera Alert was the only app not to work after the update to 4.2.1 otherwise I would have flagged the operating system sooner, when others started to crash then I dug deeper.

Regards
Craig
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely get extra points for perseverance. I sure hope it is not a hardware problem (like weakening flash memory etc - I remember that some Windows Mobile 5 devices had similar cases of unstable behaviour, and reflashing the ROM cured the issue only temporarily).

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: