Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New map available - v860
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New map available - v860
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New map download and favourites Reply with quote

MikeGordon wrote:
I saved the .cfg file as recommended, hoping to be able to paste it back later. Alas, this did not work. All it succeeded in doing was locking the device on the welcome scree. Ah well!

Mike

Did you try the fix mentioned above? Connecting to Home and using the on-screen emulator to add a new favourite. (That's if you can get the unit into PC mode of course!)
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2216 wrote:
Well my Western Europe Zone was OK. I down loaded and installed the Northern Zone and it crashes when trying to select the country on navigation. Putting back the western Europe and hope they sort out tthe problem.

It must have been a bad download. I deleted the Northern Zone of my PC and started again and it no longer crashes.
Just one small thing when browsing the map there are several warning triangle signs dotted about the map in horizontal lines within an area of traffic. At the moment it's showing the M1 traffic north and south by Luton, to the left of Tea green is one of the triangles the next is by Langley Herts and so on.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just one small thing when browsing the map there are several warning triangle signs dotted about the map in horizontal lines within an area of traffic.

Weather warning. Probably fog.....

ETA: Yup. Fog. See Page 80 here
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Spanish Reservoir Reply with quote

Bit off topic, but remember those two men who died after following their satnav on a disused road into a reservoir in Spain, that had been there for years? On checking, forum members found it was still a route provided by Teleatlas. Just wondering what v860 has there now?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
Just one small thing when browsing the map there are several warning triangle signs dotted about the map in horizontal lines within an area of traffic.

Weather warning. Probably fog.....

ETA: Yup. Fog. See Page 80 here

Thanks for that. It's not a road as such so would fog show up on the main screen once you have entered the area? I don't think I have seen it before.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've seen it before.... where the "fog" signs are arranged evenly over a map area, not just on roads.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Yeah, I've seen it before.... where the "fog" signs are arranged evenly over a map area, not just on roads.
Yes, but that was way back in the days when TomTom used to get that sort of thing wrong - zoom out in map view and they covered the entire country. They have overcome those sorts of issues since then (haven't they?).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
wazzzzupmate
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: After map upgrade GPRS Traffic not working Reply with quote

I upgraded my Tomtom 730 map today and now thw GPRS traffic wont work. Neither will any GPRS services. I copied my old map folder first before the update. Any help apprecited.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I got v860 for my 520, XL Live and 550 on Wednesday night, then bought the update service for my Carminat

The UK&RoI map v855 was 213mb, v860 is 241mb. I know DennisN does a lot of miles each week so would welcome any observations he [or anyone] has on what the extra 28mb has provided?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 1500 miles last week and haven't noticed anything different, except the A42 on exit from M1 southbound (J23A) now has a new speed limit of 60mph even before the end of motorway sign!! Good ole MapShare and some idiot who can't tell the difference between "Temporary" and "Permanent" for roadworks. I did NOT do a MapShare correction for it.

I have not yet driven over the nine corrections which I make to every new map - three mini roundabouts in Keynsham, delete a non-existent roundabout on A420 at Wick (just browsed map and I think, praise be, that this has now gone - it wasn't there when I was in charge of highways depot in 1975 and has never been built there since) and five turn restrictions (just browsed and one of the five has been done, the others haven't).

I was in Birmingham on Friday, delivered easily to B2 5DJ, but then had to get to B4 6DS and failed utterly - I had to get out and ask a cab driver, then fire up Google Maps on my iPhone and follow that! Took me thirty minutes!

Map corrections are a nightmare on my Carminat TomTom - it's only operable by a remote control inside the van, which is a very slow and deliberate process. It won't "Operate my Carminat" in Home, so when I got the updated map on it, discovering that it hadn't transferred my settings was unpleasant. But even worse was the fact that the Carminat doesn't seem to create a MapSettings.cfg file at all, so I have no option of copying it from backup!!

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
now has a new speed limit of 60mph even before the end of motorway sign!! Good ole MapShare and some idiot who can't tell the difference between "Temporary" and "Permanent" for roadworks. I did NOT do a MapShare correction for it.!
Don't tell me that you 'caught' this from mapshare Shocked
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I did 1500 miles last week and haven't noticed anything different, except the A42 on exit from M1 southbound (J23A) now has a new speed limit of 60mph even before the end of motorway sign!!

Thanks DennisN. The increase in size probably means they have 'improved' the map colours again? Rolling Eyes
Kia In-dash Tomtom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
DennisN wrote:
now has a new speed limit of 60mph even before the end of motorway sign!! Good ole MapShare and some idiot who can't tell the difference between "Temporary" and "Permanent" for roadworks. I did NOT do a MapShare correction for it.!
Don't tell me that you 'caught' this from mapshare Shocked

Nope, I didn't - I never accept MapShare. Quite simply, the brand new map has introduced a 60mph limit there - I think I'm entitled to assume that any feature of a new map is permanent - surely it would be ridiculous to issue a map with a temporary speed restriction, just as it would be to issue one with a road closed due to road resurfacing works. That daft speed limit is due to somebody telling TomTom it's 60mph there. The only UK motorway I know of which is less than 70mph normal (permanent) speed limit is M4 in south Wales where the Welsh government have been (ill)advised to install a permanent 50mph limit! TT have believed somebody that the start of A42 is 60mph permanently - obviously they don't use pgpsw Verifiers and this example yet again raises questions as to who (indeed, IF) they do use (or are they still ringing the BBC traffic service to confirm closures and speed limits?).

Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
Yes, but that was way back in the days when TomTom used to get that sort of thing wrong - zoom out in map view and they covered the entire country. They have overcome those sorts of issues since then (haven't they?).

With this picture it looks like Dennis hasn't got the foggiest idea.. Embarassed

Joking apart, I won't be paying for any updates, for the simple reason that TeleAtlas mapping is so damned awful. Mad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

I have not yet driven over the nine corrections which I make to every new map - three mini roundabouts in Keynsham

I thought TeleAtlas ignored ALL mini-roundabouts, only mapping any ones where you physically can't drive over them.

At least that's always been my experience around London and the SE..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: