Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: Garmin nüvi 3790T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: Garmin nüvi 3790T
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reviewed: Garmin nüvi 3790T Reply with quote

They say first impressions last. Since seeing the 37xx range announced by Garmin earlier in the year, I have to admit I was instantly taken in by its sleek design. Having finally got my hands on a review model, the design still sucks me in. So, enough of the pleasantries, let's get down to business!

Read the full review by clicking here.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try getting it to recognise Folkestone & Exeter via voice command...

You'll more than likely find you have to say Folk s tun & X et er if you don't say the latter correctly it Exits! Rolling Eyes
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Garmin Reply with quote

Nice review covering all base basepoints

Great build quality on the unit, and styling. Software a worthwhile evolution on the previous generation of Nuvi's, just wish they would stop sending us down those country lanes! The POI issue isn't a deal-breaker for me

Would have stuck with mine, not given it to a friend, if only they had added GPRS Traffic instead of RDS

Surely a new model is in the works? Then they have a winner
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Would have stuck with mine, not given it to a friend, if only they had added GPRS Traffic instead of RDS

Surely a new model is in the works? Then they have a winner

Now, a 37xx with SIM card would be not far from perfect! My only issue with the RDS / FM traffic is the sheer bulk of the cable. If that were transferred to a SIM card like in the 1690 then it would be so much better - yes there would be an annual cost for it but the 1690 fee is quite reasonable, Google search would be nice to see too. All mentioned in the review Very Happy

MaFt
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: 3790t - Returned Reply with quote

Great unit, voice commands brilliant, display brilliant but just kept crashing.

New, out of the box, the very 1st time it was given a voice command it crashed - black screened then rebooted. It did this about 50% of the time but only after voice commands. Specifically if you gave it a voice route, then another and it asks you if you want to start a a new route (canceling the old one) as soon as you said Yes it crashed. This seems like a software problem, but there were no downloads available from Garmin and at £250 its too risky to assume there will be a fix coming.

Was between a rock and a hard place because under 7-day distance trading laws I could get a refund without question. Garmin's online support says it will respond in 3 days but never did so I called them, they said they had no known issues yet I found several similar problems, even one on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP1plZP3gpg

So how come they don't know?

Actually I'm going to try another in case the old one was actually defective, as it really is a nice unit.

Tip don't buy from a shop, buy on-line you get better protection from DTL as from experience the consumer protection act doesn't work unless you want to go to court - been there recently.
nmi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have an aging Garmin Streetpilot 2620, so this review was interesting to me as next year I'll probably replace it as I've had it 7 years now.

The one thing that I noticed in the reviews of newer sat-navs and this one as well was the info provided on-screen during navigation. The 2620 has speed/time to destination/distance to next turn/time to next turn, but I have yet to see any of the new sat-navs with this info, in particular distance to next turn which I find invaluable.

Can you configure some of these units to provide this info or is it just not possible? It's really the thing thats stopped me upgrading for all this time. I don't need mp3/bluetooth/photo viewer (wtf?) on a sat-nav.

Cheers
nmi
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmi wrote:
The 2620 has speed/time to destination/distance to next turn/time to next turn, but I have yet to see any of the new sat-navs with this info, in particular distance to next turn which I find invaluable.

Can you configure some of these units to provide this info or is it just not possible? It's really the thing thats stopped me upgrading for all this time. I don't need mp3/bluetooth/photo viewer (wtf?) on a sat-nav.

the 3790 you can. as mentioned in the review you can show extra 'map detail':
Quote:
When navigating you can choose from Arrival Time, Distance, Time to Destination, Direction of Travel, Elevation and Time of Day; When you are just driving you get Direction of Travel, Elevation and Time of Day. There is an option to show four 'blocks' of information which could be useful but obviously eats up a bit of the map space.

the 'extra' detail screen shots are shown here along with distance to next turn (which is always shown at the top right when navigating):

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviews/garmin-nuvi-3790t/terrain2.jpg http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviews/garmin-nuvi-3790t/terrainw2.jpg

MaFt

Last edited by MaFt on Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
nmi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks for that, looks like this could be on the shopping list very soon!

Cheers
nmi
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no such issues with the 3790 regarding Custom POIS - they install as all my previous Garmins have done. They show up under the Extras button.

There is a known issue with thre 3790 in that Windows 7 and it don't get along too well so you need to "pull" the cable out of the unit rather than safely disconnect. With Windows XP there is no such issue and the POIs are uploaded straight to the device without issue.

Garmin have promised a fix to this and to the lack of compatability with Mapsource in early 2011

Spot on review and I am very pleased with mine
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
There is a known issue with thre 3790 in that Windows 7 and it don't get along too well so you need to "pull" the cable out of the unit rather than safely disconnect. With Windows XP there is no such issue and the POIs are uploaded straight to the device without issue.

Garmin have promised a fix to this and to the lack of compatability with Mapsource in early 2011

Ah, cheers for that - I was using Windows 7 so that may be the issue. Like I said though, works fine on the Mac!

MaFt
jdgwinnell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get info on the satellite fix - eventually. It's very choosy about whether it responds to a finger press on the satellite strength bars at the top left.
Montana 650, Oregon 650
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting review, looks like a nice unit.

However for the gadget types here, I wouldn't hold my breadth for the european version of the Ecoroute HD unit which connects to the car for realtime info.
I bought my 1690 with the understanding that the adapter would be on the market within a few months, which I thought was reasonable.
In May 2010, Garmin replied to my email that it would be available around end of second quarter of 2010 - which I thought was on the outer limits of "reasonable" as the unit was announced in mid 2009, but hope springs eternal, especially as the US version was already on the market.
It is now nearly end of 4th quarter 2010 and I have just got a reply to another email a few days ago that the european version is still undergoing tests.
I wonder what the legal position is for people who purchased the 1690 hoping for the adapter in a "reasonable" time (what is "reasonable").

Sorry if I have changed the focus of the subject slightly, but I think purchasers of the 3790 who are interested in the Ecoroute HD unit should keep this in mind.
CDK
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDK wrote:
I wonder what the legal position is for people who purchased the 1690 hoping for the adapter in a "reasonable" time (what is "reasonable").

Interesting info, thanks. With regard to the legal position, I doubt you have any recourse. If you buy a unit on the promise of future compatibility then you take a risk that the promise will be fulfilled.

The same issue arose with TomTom users and the x30 series. A promised HD Traffic accessory cable never appeared in the UK. Many had bought on the basis of the future arrival of that accessory.

We have warned buyers not to purchase a GO 1000 on the basis of promised future features if they are important to them. Wait until they come to fruition.

Caveat Emptor
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firmware version 3.60 is out now and can be downloaded here.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5063

Changes made from version 2.50 to 3.60 include:
* Added support for the ecoRoute HD accessory.
* Added Garmin Language Guide support.
* Improved Language Translations.
* Improved reliability of sleep/wake operations.
* Improved myTrends route calculations to incorporate driving history and road preferences.
* Added Loc8 Postal Code functionality for Ireland.
* Added support for Arabic text to speech voice guidance.
* Added support for Trams, Ferries, and Trolleys in Pedestrian Navigation.
* Various bug fixes and improvements
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
* Added support for the ecoRoute HD accessory.

Thats the bit I have been waiting for, shame I can't find anyone selling the HD accessory at the moment though. Maplins show it "In Stock" in nine days time though which looks far better than last time I tried to get one - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: