Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: TomTom GO LIVE 1000
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: TomTom GO LIVE 1000
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simons19
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed and balanced review, you're certainly not the only site to have reservations about this device. I'm not surprised to see the low score given the many features that have been removed, maybe you'll revisit when (if?) support for these materialises.

A question about the mount, looks great for windscreen mounting but how does it lend itself for mounting on something like a Brodit ProClip plate? Is there anything out there to help with this?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simons19 wrote:
A question about the mount, looks great for windscreen mounting but how does it lend itself for mounting on something like a Brodit ProClip plate? Is there anything out there to help with this?

There is an accessory mount available from TomTom that has the flat 4-hole plate that will mate with a Brodit ProClip.

I've bodged the one that came with mine by removing the suction arm and using the adapter Brodit sell for the TomTom iPhone mount. It's not a perfecr fit though.
Chrisnetx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go 1000 Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Chrisnetx wrote:
Sometimes it seems like having an opinion is OK but only if it conforms with that of the moderators.
Rolling Eyes

i've read many online reviews before now and, in general, they simply show a picture of the device, rehash the PR and sometimes list some of the new features. that's the entire review!

MaFt

... and I thought I was the cynical one Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go 1000 Reply with quote

Chrisnetx wrote:

Laughing there's room for a few of us!

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go 1000 Reply with quote

Chrisnetx wrote:

To be fair, the type of review you get in Pocket-Lint and the like isn't comparable. If you are lucky they have used a unit for a few hours. In this case they also chose to review a pre-release version.

We could have done the same but opted to wait for the device that customers will be using.

Reviews will always be, to some extent, subjective. I tried to be as fair as I could with my coverage and I stand by the view that it's unfinished as it stands. We all hope that the missing bits get added soonest. Then we will happily re-visit and re-assess the score.
Chrisnetx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
And anyone thinking no hard drive mount option is a step backwards is wrong, a web-based system is obviously the current best way to do things that can be both multiplatform and much more fluid than the outdated hard drive mount options of yesteryear which will gradually fade from existence in all devices (not just GPS) and time goes by

Really?

So removing the option to make a full system backup is a step forward?

I assume this means TomTom units are now 100% error free and never fail? The TomTom backup is a sufficient backup now too? Because in the past it wasn't and failed to restore units on many occasions.

I'll try to find the source, but I recall hearing (or reading) somewhere that there might be the possibility for MyTomTom to make a digital imprint of what is on your TomTom when connected. It will then make this available as a download again should it be missing from the device. So it would be a sort of virtual backup.

It's similar to what is happening now in TomTom HOME with newer devices, the latest map guarantee given to your unit is still available to download even if deleted as it is linked to your account/device.

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out and what new options are available when MyTomTom is released.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrisnetx wrote:
I'll try to find the source, but I recall hearing (or reading) somewhere that there might be the possibility for MyTomTom to make a digital imprint of what is on your TomTom when connected. It will then make this available as a download again should it be missing from the device. So it would be a sort of virtual backup.

Indeed but again, this is not yet available and when/if is the million dollar question.
Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how it pans out and what new options are available when MyTomTom is released.

MyTomTom is out now albeit in an almost useless state. All it can deliver at the moment is software updates to itself and compatible devices.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Laughing there's room for a few of us!

Certainly is! I've seen reviews of the units I use, and find they are just as shallow, unbalanced, and unoriginal as those mentioned here. Apart from anything else Darren's (and the others) reviews contain so much MORE information than you are ever likely to find in magazines, etc.

And given the overwhelming preponderance of TomTom coverage on PGPSW, because most posters are TT customers, I really CAN'T see how they can be accused of 'blind to the real world' (= anti Tom Tom?).
Chrisnetx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MyTomTom is out now albeit in an almost useless state. All it can deliver at the moment is software updates to itself and compatible devices.

Thanks Darren, I just checked and you are right, MyTomTom is finally up and running, it just doesn't do anything yet. Laughing

This is the info I get when trying to update:

Your navigation device is up-to-date. There are no updates waiting for installation.

Welcome to MyTomTom
MyTomTom is the easiest way to keep your TomTom device up to date.

MyTomTom offers you:
Latest Map Guarantee: if a newer map becomes available for your device within 90 days of first use, you can download a free map here.
Free software updates: you know you have the best navigation possible

Coming soon:
Map Update Service, Speed camera locations, Funny voices, Personalised POI's, Map Share changes and much more.
New content and capabilities are being added all the time - Visit MyTomTom often, so you can see the latest. When you register, we will keep you updated on any new upgrades and how they help you.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrisnetx wrote:

MyTomTom offers you:
Latest Map Guarantee: if a newer map becomes available for your device within 90 days of first use, you can download a free map here.

Er, that bit doesn't work either!

New maps are out this week and are being offered to owners of earlier models via Home 2.
But there's no sign of them for Go1000/1005 owners.
madgee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most reviews of the 1000 have been "luke warm", mainly because it was rushed to market.

I have ownd three Tomtom units and currently have the 750. Despite having had problems with all three devices (live traffic not connecting, lock ups etc) and finding that customer services never have a solution, the over-riding reason to buy a Tomtom is HD Live Traffic.

When a competitor can offer a similar traffic service I will be over to them like a shot, and Tomtom only has itself to blame for releasing software and updates that have not been fully tested, and not addressing and correcting issues fast enough.
madgee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, thanks for the review and all the other effort put into this website!
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Harold and Corinne decided to go the Apple's way - proprietary connector, no access to the file system, etc. Would be interesting to see if they can pull it off, would their customers want this device enough, as people do with, say, iPhones.
meltis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was disappointed to see that the reflection of the new device was worse than the original. When I worked as a chauffeur, I had to wear a white shirt and on sunny days it was almost impossible to read the screen. Also, I see no mention of re-booting. I hope, sincerely hope!, that they have cured that little problem. Nothing worse than to be in the middle of strange city and have your sat-nave suddenly go blank on you! I went from a 740 to a 950 and felt that TomTom do not actually drive using their own products. How else do you describe continued design errors (go over a bump and touch the screen twice. No pause provided to remove such errors) and loss of useful features, such as a compass that points to your destination?
wingo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go 1000 Reply with quote

Quote:
My only comments on the review, the mainly positive comments did not justify the low overall score

The unit loses 3 points for me by not having itinary planning!! the main reason I keep using my old faithful unit
One step forward 3 steps back!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: