Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: TomTom GO LIVE 1000
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: TomTom GO LIVE 1000
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reviewed: TomTom GO LIVE 1000 Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comTomTom announced the GO 1000 Live to a select audience of investors and journalists at an event in Amsterdam back in May of this year.

The GO 1000 marked a new path for TomTom. This is another LIVE enabled device which is able to make use of the range of LIVE services offered by TomTom. Much was made of the new web kit based software, faster route calculation, new user interface and the capacitive touch screen.

TomTom CEO Harold Goddijn also intimated that the device heralded the possibility of apps with select developers being invited to create add-ons for the platform.

We have been testing pre-production versions since the unveiling but considered it unfair to comment in detail based on a test device. With retail orders beginning to filter through in September we have now received a production version and have been giving it a thorough road test for the last few weeks.

Click here to read the full review.

UPDATE: TomTom have now provided a roadmap for the missing features. This is welcome news. Please see this post for full details.

Last edited by Darren on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well balanced and informative review, as stated "a work in progress"

xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: TomTom Go 1000 Reply with quote

Without doubt the best TomTom yet

Improved screen (display and touch experience), best menu system, best route calculation, best build and best mount

For some let down by custom POIs, but this will be solved in the not too distant future, if you need this functionality

Of course MyTomTom should function - thats the only "work in progress", not the unit, really

And anyone thinking no hard drive mount option is a step backwards is wrong, a web-based system is obviously the current best way to do things that can be both multiplatform and much more fluid than the outdated hard drive mount options of yesteryear which will gradually fade from existence in all devices (not just GPS) and time goes by

Over the air updates is surely planned (indeed already mentioned by TomTom) and will be the ultimate (as far as we can foresee) platform for updates and control. A true stand-alone device

My only comments on the review, the mainly positive comments did not justify the low overall score
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And anyone thinking no hard drive mount option is a step backwards is wrong, a web-based system is obviously the current best way to do things that can be both multiplatform and much more fluid than the outdated hard drive mount options of yesteryear which will gradually fade from existence in all devices (not just GPS) and time goes by

Really?

So removing the option to make a full system backup is a step forward?

I assume this means TomTom units are now 100% error free and never fail? The TomTom backup is a sufficient backup now too? Because in the past it wasn't and failed to restore units on many occasions.

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Step Forward Reply with quote

If you don't consider cloud storage to be a leap forward not a step backwards over local then I am wasting my breathe

How well that system will be implemented to reinstate errors within systems in another story and open for discussion
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Step Forward Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
How well that system will be implemented to reinstate errors within systems in another story and open for discussion

Based upon a few years of experiance with this manufacturer you have hit the nail on the head as to why I decided to purchase from someone else, look at Map Share for one such great idea with very poor implementation as a starter for ten.

The lack of a memory card slot and the limited 4GB memory negates you from installing the European map AND a North Amirican map, this is something thats been possible in the past on most other high end devices, too restrictive. I accept you can swap files over as and when you need to but the idea of swapping 2GB+ of maps each time you travel across the pond isn't my idea of fun - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Step Forward Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I accept you can swap files over as and when you need to but the idea of swapping 2GB+ of maps each time you travel across the pond isn't my idea of fun - Mike

Given you cannot yet buy another map, and if/when you can, we have yet to see how or indeed if it will be possible to 'swap' maps that you own as can be done with other devices.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go 1000 Reply with quote

Unfair? I disagree
xtraseller wrote:
For some let down by custom POIs, but this will be solved in the not too distant future, if you need this functionality

Your crystal ball is clearly better than ours or indeed TomTom's. They have not committed to a timeframe other than '2011' and for some of us, that is simply too wooly. There are already a few examples of broken promises from TomTom. Witness those who bought x20 devices in the expectation that the LIVE services dongle would be released only to see it dropped entirely?

And whilst few of us may 'need' support for third party POIs, many many thousands use and rely on them and so quite rightly expect support for them.
Quote:
Of course MyTomTom should function - thats the only "work in progress", not the unit, really

And THE only connection that exists to the unit. So as it stands, no map updates, no backups, no speedcam updates etc etc etc. It is a core feature of the new platform and as such, it ought to have been functionally ready at launch.
Quote:
Over the air updates is surely planned

Considered for the future yes, planned for this model? Unlikely/ Given this unit operates at GPRS speeds only and the data consumption is strictly limited as part of the fixed price subscription that Vodafone provide, the prospect of OTA updates is a long way off. Let's be wary of lauding a device for something that may be a long way off?
Quote:
My only comments on the review, the mainly positive comments did not justify the low overall score

I have no particular issue with MyTomTom. I understand the benefits it may one day bring and appreciate the additional control it offers TomTom. What I cannot let pass without comment is the fact that it is not yet ready and is a long way off being so.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: One sided Reply with quote

The turn of tide against TomTom from PGPSW is without doubt because of the lack of support for custom POIs

I accept the lack of features for MyTomTom should have been addressed prior to launch, and I am sure TomTom are not happy with the situation - after all they want to sell you map updates, custom POIs and much more

While on the subject of bad integration, and this coming from PGPSW moderators (owners?) who sell data without any app or tool to install with voices etc. on to the systems they claim compatibility with, leaving the purchaser often a long winded solution compared to some other offerings or data from the manufacture. I acknowledge the PGPSW user data IS better but the system is appalling and no worse a situation than what TomTom has done, so perhaps these people should think about the quality of their service before knocking others for doing the same

With regards over the air updates, apart from small data (like Speed Cam Data, Weather, etc) our available data services are not currently up to speed for map updates - I would not expect my Go 1000 to perform this task - just something they and I are expecting in the not to disant future. Perhaps initially via wifi when you are at home (no need to connect or do anything) then via 4G or whatever

I didn't want to knock PGPSW here because their data is excellent, but when they are so blind to the real world, it does make me want to set the record straight
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: One sided Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
The turn of tide against TomTom from PGPSW is without doubt because of the lack of support for custom POIs

We have been testing this device for 6mths+. It IS NOT due solely to the POI issue. We are far from alone in our opinions of the device. If you wish to make baseless assertions then I shall have to consider all your opinions as such.
Quote:
While on the subject of bad integration, and this coming from PGPSW moderators (owners?) who sell data without any app or tool to install with voices etc. on to the systems they claim compatibility with

And how do you suppose we do that when the manufacturers do not offer an SDK that enables it? TomTom used to but they pulled it, funny eh?
Quote:
I acknowledge the PGPSW user data IS better but the system is appalling and no worse a situation than what TomTom has done, so perhaps these people should think about the quality of their service before knocking others for doing the same

Do you work for TomTom? if not then you should do!
Quote:
just something they and I are expecting in the not to disant future.

Ah there goes that crystal ball again.
Quote:
I didn't want to knock PGPSW here because their data is excellent, but when they are so blind to the real world, it does make me want to set the record straight

I am happy that my review is fair and objective. If you wish to assert that we have done otherwise then that is your right albeit incorrect but it could also be argued that your blinkered defence of the device is far from objective either.

You disagree with my opinion, it's a big world, nothing unusual in that. You're happy with it, that's great, end of.

Last edited by Darren on Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: One sided Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

I accept the lack of features for MyTomTom should have been addressed prior to launch, and I am sure TomTom are not happy with the situation - after all they want to sell you map updates, custom POIs and much more

...snip...

We have always tried to be impartial and honest in our reviews, and remain so. Over the years we have been accused of being in TomTom's back pocket, because we praised TomTom's products. Isn't it strange that when we are critical of TomTom we are accused of being blind to the real world.

I can assure you that Darren was not the only person to be testing the 1000 and the reason we held back on publishing a review on it was because of the disappointment expressed by all our testers in the new device and the need to test a real world version of it.

You talk about us not being in the real world. When I am not testing I use my TomTom 940 to get around. Other TomTom evangelists have switched to other manufacturers. THIS is the real world and there is a reason we are there: It provides functionality we want and use on a daily basis.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: One sided Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
...coming from PGPSW moderators (owners?) who sell data without any app or tool to install with voices etc. on to the systems they claim compatibility with, leaving the purchaser often a long winded solution...

We currently offer 415 unique download options for 47 different device/systems. TomTom offer downloads for, erm, TomToms. Garmin offer downloads for, erm, Garmin.

TomTom, Garmin, Navman et al manufacture their own devices and, as such, make it as simple as possible to put THEIR data onto the device. On OUR OWN CamerAlert iPhone app, that we made, it is a very simple process of pressing a single button to download and install database updates. If it were possible in any way shape or form then we would have such simplicity for all devices we support. Sadly though, this is down to the manufacturers to provide the functionality.

We cannot control how (and if) 3rd party POIs can be installed on all the different satnavs. For those that do have support we will do our utmost to create a file-set suitable for that device. How simple it is to install is completely out of our hands BUT where we differ here is that we will provide support for the installation pretty much 24/7.

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
While on the subject of bad integration, and this coming from PGPSW moderators (owners?) who sell data without any app or tool to install with voices etc. on to the systems they claim compatibility with

You mean the wide variety of supported systems that have installation procedures determined by the sat nav manufacturer and not by PGPSW. If a procedure is cumbersome then ask yourself why that is.....

How many sat nav manufacturers offer an API or SDK to allow such integration from 3rd parties?

Quote:
when they are so blind to the real world, it does make me want to set the record straight

The irony, it burns....
Chrisnetx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go 1000 Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

You may be surprised to see that some one actually agrees with this comment.

After seeing the low score, I was expecting a scathing review so was confused to read one that seemed quite positive.

So I was left wondering if there was any bias on PGPSW part.

After all you only have to Google TomTom GO 1000 Review to see some more positive scores.

Pocket Lint (which is just one example) scored it as 8/10

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/4955/tomtom-go-live-1000-review

I'm sure that the PGPSW fan boys will quickly cut me down to size.

Sometimes it seems like having an opinion is OK but only if it conforms with that of the moderators.
Rolling Eyes
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go 1000 Reply with quote

Chrisnetx wrote:
Sometimes it seems like having an opinion is OK but only if it conforms with that of the moderators.
Rolling Eyes

no, but the wild statements made above are completely unjustified!

i've read many online reviews before now and, in general, they simply show a picture of the device, rehash the PR and sometimes list some of the new features. that's the entire review!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: