Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Oxfordshire fixed speed cameras to be switched back on!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Oxfordshire fixed speed cameras to be switched back on!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
The survey must be carried out at the time of day when the traffic is light enough to give people the choice as to whether to speed or not for the survey to have any meaning. I rest my case (for the time being) Very Happy

It is a fair point too. Wink I'm just a bit jumpy because of all the dodgy statistics bandied about.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
The survey must be carried out at the time of day when the traffic is light enough to give people the choice as to whether to speed or not for the survey to have any meaning. I rest my case (for the time being) Very Happy

but even then, the survey is biased towards times when people are able to speed. which we all know is not 24 hours a day yet these results would then imply that XX% of road users speed when, in reality, it would show that at certain times of the day XX% of people speed.

statistics can be a real pig Smile

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So those statistics would show the best time to dust down your LTI 20.20 and go and book a few speeders Sad
And you can't get a statistical increase in speeding at the time of day that it is not possible to speed. So that statistic would prove absolutely zilch. So you MUST pick the right time to gather the data. And of course, the 'before' data must have been taken over the same period and the same time
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
but even then, the survey is biased towards times when people are able to speed. which we all know is not 24 hours a day yet these results would then imply that XX% of road users speed when, in reality, it would show that at certain times of the day XX% of people speed.
BUT it should first of all say that XX% of people drive at XX% of the time. So by the time you get down to XX% of the XX% people of the XX% time, you then take away the number you first thought of and the answer is 47 (which, expressed as a percentage of 12,673, is about 0.37%).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make it 0.XX%
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
the answer is 47 (which, expressed as a percentage of 12,673, is about 0.37%).
Good grief Dennis, you appear to have got your XXs mixed with your YYs, because as all HHGTTG fans know, the answer is always 42 Shocked Now what was the question again Thumbs Up
PhilAsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxfordshire fixed speed cameras to be switched back on! Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Skippy wrote:
If they were really interested in a scientific measurement then they would have placed a large number of car counters (the rubber strips across the road) which count the number of cars and record their speed before and after the announcement so they could make a scientific assessment of the actual change in behaviour.

My bold/colour. Do those rubber things actually record speed? - I always thought they only counted and not entirely accurately at that.

DennisN,

There are two different uses of the rubber strips. One is to provide survey information. In this case, the strips are connected to a grey box at the side of the road. (Often chained to a streetlamp).

The other is for enforcement. The police usually place these out, and then hide around the corner. Someone is concealed viewing the strips and on the radio to the colleagues around the corner.

I was caught speeding using this method some 20 years ago now, but the technology is still valid.
I think they add a third strip sometimes as a countercheck and I think they just record the details rather than stopping you around the corner.
I also think they are only really used on slower roads as they rubber strips can be ripped out at high speeds/torque loads.

To be safe, if I see these, I slow down.

Phil.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: