Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New GO 550 Live Queries
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New GO 550 Live Queries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asperion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: New GO 550 Live Queries Reply with quote

Just purchased a new 550 Live, to replace a GO520.
Chose the 550 Live as it doesn't have basic functionality missing like the newer models. Wink

I will not be switching it on for 2-3 weeks, as I want to get the latest map update as part of the LMG, thinking that a new map must be due out towards the end of November.

Device will be backed up using Windows Explorer immediately after switching on and before any updates are applied, at each step.

Registering via Tomtom Home will be done using a new email address.

I have a few queries relating to the 550 Live :-

1. Is the latest Navcore recommended for the 550 Live?
Are the any known bugs/features which mean I should use a lower version Navcore ?

2. Should I upgrade to the navcore in 1. and then activate Live Services ?

3. Are there any recommendations on activating the Live Services ?

Obviously Tomtom Safety Cameras will be removed and the Pocketgpsworld camera POI's installed Very Happy

Thanks in advance for the advice !
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can go wrong if you do backups all along the way. I've allowed my 550 to update and have no issues (apart from it looks like it may be developing the reboot messing). I can't remember the date of the v855 map release, just that I think it was whilst I was away on holiday end of August, early September - that means I think you daren't leave it outside your 30 days/one month from invoice/receipt date, so I'd lay odds you'll have to use LMG a week before the next new maps. Sad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
asperion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Dennis. I'm familiar with the backup/restore process for TomTom's Wink

I've just checked my backups and I believe the 855 maps for the 520 were released on 31/08/2010. I'll leave it as late as I can for the map update but I think you maybe right Mad

Usual advance notice of a new map being released seems to be an updated version of Tomtom Home a few days before. Will keep monitoring and keep fingers crossed Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asperion wrote:
Usual advance notice of a new map being released seems to be an updated version of Tomtom Home a few days before. Will keep monitoring and keep fingers crossed Rolling Eyes
Normal advance notice of a new map release is a high intensity e-mailing campaign to persuade you to buy the latest map (which by then is now nearly three months old), followed by a repeat (several repeats) even offering a "up to" 30% discount for them, all in an effort to get more sales of the maps which are then made out of date by new maps released shortly afterwards. Allow me to offer a guess that the sales campaign will commence within the next week or so. Indeed, I'm surprised it hasn't already started so that they can issue reminders, final reminders and "last chances"! (which is a real sickener for me as TT have about 8 e-mail addresses for me, so whatever everybody else gets, I get times 8!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: