Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - First week living with the 1000
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

First week living with the 1000
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Request to PGPS and other bits Reply with quote

1ee wrote:

If there any way we can email one of the captains at pocketgps and ask them to put the top 10 questions to TT for a reply -I request this option because I don't believe contacting TT individually we will receive an answer.

Lee

I would suggest that each disgruntled owner contacts TomTom individually; 100 e-mails will have more effect than one e-mail on behalf of 100 owners.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they do all get logged.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Request to PGPS and other bits Reply with quote

1ee wrote:
no point in email customer service they will just reply with a set message.

In fairness to TomTom they have already made it quite clear as to what works and what might work in the future on their web site click Here

I very much doubt they will have an idea as to when some or all of the services will be in place and fully functional. I would expect the revenue earning functions will get a priority though:

1/ Purchase Maps
2/ Manage Maps
3/ Voices

Next will be their own services as they benifit from these directly:

4/ MapShare
5/ Speed Cameras (their own)
6/ Activating Promotions
7/ qGPS although I wonder if this is really needed these days

Finally they might get around to adding in functionality they don't directly benefit from such as third party POI files, unless of course this omision is found to be hurting sales of the device in the first place then the above list might get a slight shift in priority.

They have already said not to expect too much prior to 2011 to keep up to speed with whats on the FAQ page I linked to earlier in this post click the "Notify Me" button near the bottom of the TomTom FAQ page that lists what works and what doesn't, this way as they update the page you will at least get told about it, or simply keep watching this forum - Mike
Steven-f
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Cancelled order Reply with quote

I placed an order for a GO 1005 on Amazon. After reading about all the current issues, I've just cancelled my order and will wait until they release POI support and map colour support.

Also I wonder why the speed camera warning (for current and new TTs) isn't as good as the Garmin which I have on my motorcycle - The Garmin only warns me when I am over the speed warning for that camera, which is much more pleasant.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cancelled order Reply with quote

Steven-f wrote:
I placed an order for a GO 1005 on Amazon. After reading about all the current issues, I've just cancelled my order and will wait until they release POI support and map colour support.

I have just done exactly the same. At the moment I have no faith that the Go 1005 will do even half of what I want it to and TT will not be getting my money until it does.
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)
DracUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got mine 1 hr ago from Handtec and must say I like it so far.Noticed they've sorted out the road number pronounciation at last.It now says A TEN THIRTY THREE instead of A ONE O THIRTY THREE for A1033.
Have not tested any further yet though.

Hope they allow custom pois though.

DracUK
nocturnal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: right pain Reply with quote

well ive emailed tom tom about the 1000,thought i would share it with you

To tomtom.
can you tell me when the tomtom 1000 will be working properly cause for £250 on a product you expect it to be fully working...i.e
Latest Map Guarantee - the latest and most complete map available for your device is already pre-installed. You are entitled to one free map download if a new map should become available within 30 days of you first using your TomTom device. The maps on this are older than the latest 550 live

Speed Cameras - updates are not yet available for your device. Speed cameras are pre-installed on your TomTom device. If you have a LIVE device, mobile speed cameras will be available over the air.

LIVE Services - all LIVE devices come with a 1-year free subscription to LIVE services.

Fuel Prices - the Fuel Prices service is no longer available as part of LIVE services.

Backing up - currently this functionality is not available for your device.

Adding POIs - currently this functionality is not available for your device.

Purchasing maps - currently this functionality is not available for your device.

Downloading voices - currently this functionality is not available for your device.

Managing maps - currently this functionality is not available for your device.

Activating promotions (service cards, etc) - currently this functionality is not available for your device.

QuickGPSFix - all LIVE devices download QuickGPSFix automatically. QuickGPSFix is not yet available for non-LIVE devices.

Map Share corrections - currently this functionality is not available for your device.

Sharing favourites - currently this functionality is not available for your device.

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is ***** and we are always happy to help.

The reference number for your query is *****
I can understand your frustration. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced.

The GO LIVE 1000 device works completely different from the other devices. Unfortunately, the services for the device are not yet released.

Please visit the URL: and click on the "Notify me" button at the bottom right of the website, so that whenever a service is available for your GO LIVE 1000 you will be notified automatically.

Once again we duly apologise for the inconvenience. Please accept our apologies.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to help.

Thank you for your valuable time and for giving me an opportunity to assist you.

With Kind Regards,

Guess we will just have to wait
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go 1000 Reply with quote

Having read all the bad comments here and just about everywhere on the new TomTom Go 1000, but still not 100% satisified with my Navigon 40 Premium, my Navman 575 or my Garmin 765t (all good in their own way), I took the plunge last week and - against my better judgement (I also have an older TomTom but not a big fan) - decided to get one

Despite its faults - lack of Home for the time being, no map upgrades yet (but they are quite fresh maps, all things considered), etc. it's the best out of the lot, and my favourite by far

Its boot-up is fast, its screen very clear (not quite Garmin 3790 but better than the rest) and menu system is fast, fluid, and quite intuitive

The map display, while lacking 3D Cities and Panorama, is the best bit - it beats my Navigon hands down for clarity at junctions and roundabouts/ Though I would never say it, but previous must-haves for me like the 3D Panorama and 3D Cities can go out the window for easy of junction view

HD Traffic is immense, and destination times better than any unit I have tried

The magnetic mount is sheer genius and cannot seeing me ever reverting to any unit with an old style mount again. Honestly

Yes we would like everything switched on day one, but there is more than enough there for a gadget-freak like me happy, with the promise of more to come

So finally TomTom has won me over, even if in doing so it seems to have lost the rest of you!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
jaycr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Go 1000 Reply with quote

I'd like to heartily agree 100% if only to try and bring some balance to the negativity towards the new GO 1000, particularly on these boards. I've had almost every Tomtom model since the satnav unit evolved plus I've tried a couple of Garmins, including the 3790t and I have to say that in my opinion the GO 1000 is by far the best of any previous model. In fact there is no aspect of the unit which I'm not impressed with. Okay I understand that some people are disappointed that they're unable at the moment to load their own POI's etc but for others like myself who just want a highly efficient sat nav with superb traffic information then I would recommend this new model. I don't normally post on here but I do feel the huge amount of criticism towards the new unit seems a bit hysterical at times and doesn't reflect how many people feel. Going back to sleep now!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Go 1000 Reply with quote

jaycr wrote:
I'd like to heartily agree 100% if only to try and bring some balance to the negativity towards the new GO 1000, particularly on these boards.

It's not just on our forums. So long as buyers are forewarned and are still happy then great. But if we had not mentioned the many issues then there would have been an uproar.

I have now received my retail spec unit and it is no different to the test version. No better, no worse. Some good points, some bad.

I do find the glossy screen less distracting now I have become accustomed to it. I don't find sensitivity great, too often I find myself tapping twice to get a button press recognised or I find it is slow to react.

I'll be publishing a full review in due course but regardless of the positive comments here, I am still surprised that TomTom saw fit to launch with so many features not yet working or available.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Best Sat Nav Reply with quote

Well I guess that goes for every sat nav - somethings good, something not so good, and some downright bad

But I for one am glad they released it when they did - because I have most of the available brands, and current or recent editions at that - and this is (for me) the best of the bunch, hands down

Of course their online facility should have been live, but things sometimes do not go to plan, and you just have to carry on. Occasionally PGPSW doesn't provide a weekly speed camera update (hey they are entitled to holidays) - does it really matter as long as they are back on track soon?

Talking of which TomTom have updated the notification when your go 1000 is connected today to read

Quote:
MyTomTom is the easiest way to keep your TomTom device up to date. MyTomTom offers you:

Latest Map Guarantee: if a newer map becomes available for your device within 90 days of first use, you can download a free map here.
Free software updates: you know you have the best navigation possible
Coming soon:

Map Update Service, Speed camera locations, Funny voices, Personalised POI's, Map Share changes and much more.
New content and capabilities are being added all the time - Visit MyTomTom often, so you can see the latest. When you register, we will keep you updated on any new upgrades and how they help you.

So it seems they do listen - 90 days for your map update (obviously they are planning to release on for the 1000 within this time and think early adopters shouldn't loose out) and also confirm Personalised POIs will be included

Personally, I think Darren is warming to his new TomTom and is holding back the review so all web updating features he wants will be there and he can give it the glowing review he would love to publish... Laughing Out Loud
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Sat Nav Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Personally, I think Darren is warming to his new TomTom and is holding back the review so all web updating features he wants will be there and he can give it the glowing review he would love to publish... Laughing Out Loud

Laughing Out Loud, I don't hate it, but I still don't think it's the revolution TomTom claim.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first TomTom (a 720) is over three years old.

Since then, I've played around with four additional models (none of them Live, we aren't offered that in Canada).

Each and every one has less utility and flexibility than the 720 has.

I'm not about to cheer over a model (T1000) that:
--doesn't have custom poi files
--doesn't have Itinerary Planning
--doesn't have a means for me to backup or even look at the contents
--doesn't have a sdhc card slot

All things my 3+ year old 720 has.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Exactly Reply with quote

And what product ever is...?

Its the best all round unit in the market today and if they sort the web service portal for it then it will continue in this place for the next 12 months

See everyone, he IS softening in his opinion on it and once he gets those PGPSW cameras live on it there will be lots of smiles!!! Laughing Out Loud
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're missing the point. It offers LESS functionality than the model it replaces. As did it's predecessor the x50 when it replaced the x40.

It's a worrying trend. Love the mount, quite like the new simplified menu. Not sure what else it offers that justifies it as being an improvement and I absolutely detest the pile of garbage that is HOME3.

Fully understand why they have introduced it, and I can but hope that given time it will function as intended. But as it stands it is a long way off.

Anyway, no point me discussing this now, I need to get the review sorted.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: