Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1930s SatNav - The First In-Car Navigation System
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1930s SatNav - The First In-Car Navigation System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: 1930s SatNav - The First In-Car Navigation System Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comCame across this great blog post on Dieselpunks.org introducing the world's first automatic in-car navigator.

The Inter Avto, created in 1930, was a moving map navigation device that used maps on rolls of paper. The maps were wound from one roll to another across a display and the scroll rate was controlled by a cable connected to the speedometer.

It may seem rather crude today but I'm sure that back in 1930 this was a revolutionary as SatNav was to us when first released. It does have some drawbacks, if you leave the prescribed route then it isn't going to re-route you, there is no Map Share and POIs need to be drawn on by hand.

Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have been hard to keep the 78rpm record synchronised for the voice instructions?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy But at least making map corrections is easy. Stop, pencil in change, continue Cool
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Very Happy But at least making map corrections is easy. Stop, pencil in change, continue Cool

Yeah, and when you lend it to your mate, you've then got MapShare Smile

I don't really get the point of the original system though. It seems that it can only scroll one way, so therefore you can only follow the particular route that's on the map, which has to be pretty straight? Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Yeah, and when you lend it to your mate, you've then got MapShare

Laughing
Quote:
I don't really get the point of the original system though. It seems that it can only scroll one way, so therefore you can only follow the particular route that's on the map, which has to be pretty straight? Smile

Easily surmounted though.

Ensure the turn is forewarned and shown on the map, then have a short gap in the route and then continue the map. You're always going forwards after all.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that long ago they were still using similar devices for the Paris - Dakar rally on the motorbikes as a GPS would only give you basic position due to the lack of true mapping of the desert - Mike
donaldsc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: CPS Reply with quote

I have a positioning system that has been around for millions of years - the CPS (Carole Positioning System). My wife reads the maps and tells me where to go. It works wonderfully. Whenever there is a conflict between my GPS and my CPS, I use the CPS route.

DON
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CPS Reply with quote

donaldsc wrote:
I have a positioning system that has been around for millions of years - the CPS (Carole Positioning System). My wife reads the maps and tells me where to go. It works wonderfully. Whenever there is a conflict between my GPS and my CPS, I use the CPS route.
DON

CoPilot Laughing
shires999
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you can have custom POI's on this Very Happy Very Happy

Tomtom take note.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: CPS Reply with quote

donaldsc wrote:

DON

I had the earlier (now thankfully obsolete) version known, ironically, as GPS (Gael Positioning System). It read its directions with a Scottish accent and in a very strident voice. Quite often it became so irritating I wished I could have thrown it out of the car. When I could stand it no longer it was agreed I could replace it with a newer version. Sadly it has TomTom stamped on it....
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Moss won the Mille Miglia in the 1950s in a Mercedes 300SLR, he and his co-driver Dennis Jenkinson, had driven over the whole route and noted every feature of interest on a similar paper roll system. Dennis was able to tell Moss exactly what was coming next, how fast he could take the next corner, what was over the next brow etc.
Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: