Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert v1.2 Now Available in Appstore
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert v1.2 Now Available in Appstore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavingDave wrote:
If the CamerAlert App is running in the background, is it still requesting map tiles to be downloaded across the data network, or do these requests only go out whilst it is in the foreground?

It would only do that when in the foreground but if you are using it in the background, why not switch to list view only and dispense with the map?
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
RavingDave wrote:
If the CamerAlert App is running in the background, is it still requesting map tiles to be downloaded across the data network, or do these requests only go out whilst it is in the foreground?

It would only do that when in the foreground but if you are using it in the background, why not switch to list view only and dispense with the map?

Thanks - just wanted to check that I don't explicitly have to switch it to showing no map data to stop it using up data allowance whilst sitting in the background. I sometimes use it in foreground (when I know where I am going) and then will use it in the background when using a SatNav, so not having to do anything is good for me.

I did try list mode coming home today, but found that whenever it approached a camera it automatically switched to the map, and did not switch back to the list. Is this by design, or would I also need to set the Show Map switch to 'never'? to keep it in List Mode?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavingDave wrote:
I did try list mode coming home today, but found that whenever it approached a camera it automatically switched to the map, and did not switch back to the list. Is this by design, or would I also need to set the Show Map switch to 'never'? to keep it in List Mode?

You configure it in Settings / Map | Show - Never or Near cam. If set to Near cam it will revert to list after you have passed the camera.
twotonemark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Great!! Reply with quote

Just came across the update Very Happy Launched the app and it verbally informed me there was a newer version of the database available....very nice!

Congratulations to the whole team!!!

Look forward to using it in anger behind CoPilot this week.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked really well behind everything i was running today.

No voice breakup with iOPlay (Bluetooth) anymore....

Much clearer too...
boltysan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Power saving idea? Reply with quote

In the last version I was surprised to see that the battery level on my 3GS was dropping (slowly) on a journey from Burnley to Whitby, I was using the 3GS in phone mode (didn't make many calls though) and running the iPod function as well as the Camera Alert.
I was running it in a Brodit holder plugged into the USB socket on my Sony MEX-BT3700U for audio and charging, it could be that the charge current from my Sony stereo is low and doesn't supply enough juice to keep the 3GS running and put a bit extra into the battery.
would it be possible to make the next version dim the backlight when there are no camera's in the area? this would surely save a bit of power or am I the only person that would benefit from this?

Also I agree with the comment earlier in this thread about the voice warnings being a bit long winded, apart from that keep up the good work!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Power saving idea? Reply with quote

boltysan wrote:
In the last version I was surprised to see that the battery level on my 3GS was dropping (slowly) on a journey from Burnley to Whitby,
SNIP
would it be possible to make the next version dim the backlight when there are no camera's in the area? this would surely save a bit of power or am I the only person that would benefit from this?

Dimming the display would not help.

The issue occurs because the iPhone uses more power than your charging method will support. You need at least 2A to support an iPhone when running GPS if you want to stop the battery discharging whilst running iPod and GPS.

The easiest solution would be to invest in a dedicated iPhone compatible charger that has a 2A output (few do). Griffin do one.
boltysan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I thought as much but I'm surprised that the 3GS needs 2A to run the GPS, seems a heck of a lot (not that I'm doubting you!)

How much difference would dimming the display make to the power needed though? In my particular case the power level drops slowly and it could just make the difference between arriving with a flat battery, Having the display dimmed could be a safety feature though (or it could make it more likely to make the driver look down to see what it was that just lit up on the dash) just a thought...
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we can't adjust the screen brightness (technically the backlight) through the SDK if we want it in the appstore. you would need to do this manually in the phones main settings.

MaFt
boltysan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
we can't adjust the screen brightness (technically the backlight) through the SDK if we want it in the appstore. you would need to do this manually in the phones main settings.

MaFt

Feel free to not bother replying to this MaFt...

By dimming the screen I do mean cutting the backlight or reducing the amount of backlight in much the same way as how the screen darkens when listening to the ipod function.

I have only replied to this topic again just in case I didn't explain myself properly (which, to be fair, happens quite a lot!)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i followed what you meant Very Happy. but my point still stands that you cannot put an app in the appstore that does this. the backlight uses a 'private API' that only apple can use.

MaFt
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
yes, i followed what you meant Very Happy. but my point still stands that you cannot put an app in the appstore that does this. the backlight uses a 'private API' that only apple can use.

MaFt

host it on cydia instead ;)
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I bought 1.2 last night and tried it on my commute to work this morning. On its own its fine and works well. However, I tried putting it into the background and running TomTom. Now TT continually drops its GPS signal. Turning off cameralert and TT is fine again.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstenson wrote:
I bought 1.2 last night and tried it on my commute to work this morning. On its own its fine and works well. However, I tried putting it into the background and running TomTom. Now TT continually drops its GPS signal. Turning off cameralert and TT is fine again.

As has been discussed already, the 'poor gps reception' issue in TomTom 1.4 is a TomTom bug. It has been fixed in the release awaiting Apple approval.

I can't explain why you are only seeing it when CA is running but I can assure you it is a TT bug. You can verify this by running another nav app or our GPS Status app which will confirm full reception.
johngoodland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
gstenson wrote:

As has been discussed already, the 'poor gps reception' issue in TomTom 1.4 is a TomTom bug. It has been fixed in the release awaiting Apple approval.

I can't explain why you are only seeing it when CA is running but I can assure you it is a TT bug. You can verify this by running another nav app or our GPS Status app which will confirm full reception.

To add to this..

I did do the the GPS Status on the way home lastnight and it dropped to Good Fix for 20% of journey the rest on excellent (or excelent Rolling Eyes as the status said).

I'm hoping the new TomTom update fixes the GPS reception issue as it really is 'annoying' as the tomtom app jumps from M6 to a field then local road then back on M6.

Until then sorry guys I cant recommend the camera app as running tomtom with traffic is more important to me (on m6 remember !)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: