Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navmii release Free iPad and iPhone Navigation Apps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navmii release Free iPad and iPhone Navigation Apps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Navmii release Free iPad and iPhone Navigation Apps Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comWhilst free iPhone navigation applications aren't new, Navmii's latest NavFree solution, available for both iPhone and iPad is the most polished free option available by a long distance.

Based on Navmii's paid for application, NavFree uses OpenStreetMap data which means no charges for map updates although it does require a data connection to search the address database.

OpenStreetMap data has improved noticably in recent months, indeed each time we review a product that uses the data we are taken aback each time by just how quickly it improves. The data is so rich that it often looks a lot better than the paid for competitors and being open source, you can get involved and improve the map yourself.

Navmii promise in-app purchases will be coming in future releases to provide access to speed camera data, traffic information and even premium TeleAtlas map data.

If you have an iPhone or iPad, why not give it a go, the iTunes link is here.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And good as this is for a free app, it does have quirks. A test route from my home results in the first few miles being along a footpath through a nature reserve.

Still some work to do on the routing and road/path classifications methinks Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried 5 postcodes all over the country. It failed to find one. Many local roads here are missing which you wouldn't necessarily know until you tried to travel somewhere. Whilst the big brand maps aren't absolutely 100% complete I can drive the length and breadth of the country in confidence. I can't travel 4 miles down the road with this offering due to the incomplete maps. i know the answer is to get out there and fill in the gaps but if I was travelling from A to B how can I be sure the bits in the middle are complete?
Navmii
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

First of all thanks for posting the news about Navfree!

Just wanted to give you and your readers a quick heads up. V.1 has a big bug with routing and address lookup (we are still getting used to the non standard OSM data)

An update that fixes these issues is already in review with Apple and should go live any day now!

You should see a BIG improvement in routes and address searches.

Thanks again!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
I tried 5 postcodes all over the country. It failed to find one. Many local roads here are missing which you wouldn't necessarily know until you tried to travel somewhere.

remember, postcodes are owned by Royal Mail who charge mega money for licensing them - even more for their matching geolocations. from what i understand OSM use data from 'FreeThePostcode' which is a user-contributed database matching postcodes to coordinates.

you can also enter postcodes directly into OSM map edits.

MaFt
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this to replace the other Navmii that as not been updated for months? One bought for £19.99?
I was also disappointed on trying to find my son's address in Lambeth - it failed to find it when every other one does. Shame as I liked the original Navmii but it badly needed updating.
Let's hope this update fixes these problems and then it might be a viable alternative.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like will be able to buy Premium TeleAtlas maps in the near future.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New version out now.

Postcodes look up seems fixed. First address I tried "no information about that house number".

I'll have another play later.

Mind you it did calculate a 300 mile journey in under 2 seconds!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would NOT purchase anything from Navmii again.

Nearly 12 months ago I purchased their pc/notepad nav product. They said on their web site that the product would have own poi available in weeks, never updated. New maps during Q2 2010 never updated. The list goes on.

When you ask them on their forum, they don't even bother to answer any more now as the questions have been asked so many times by their customers. Three months ago they promised new maps, but have never updated them. So mapping on them now is either 2008 or early 2009.

Live and learn Rolling Eyes

My personal feelings are their products are not much better than beta releases. You have been warned from a paying customer.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated my product. Much better although my postcode lookup in Lomdon was sort of around the place I wanted.
The thing that is off putting is the speed limit indicator. It seems to read 20 a lot instead of the 30 it should be. Also it stays grey and turns red on occasions. Is this the overspeed indicator?
For a free product, it's not bad but we will see what the support is like. As has been said, I bought the other product that has had no updates whatsoever. Is this the replacement or what?
Doug
dorsetwurzel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can turn the speed limit indicator off. It was one of the things that I turned off as it doesnt seem to have any data for the speed limits round by me and takes up quite a bit a screen space.

Go to Preferences, Advanced, Warnings & Alerts, and move the slider to turn off 'Always Show speed limit'
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However it still appears in the Driving Safety View - either My Route, Driving Safety View or tap the turn indicator at the top left of the screen.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And mine Paul. It's hopelessly wrong as well. It all seems to be set at 20mph. Also, it gets confused even on a very simple route. I was going 4 mile south and it kept trying to turn me round and to go north. I'm going to stop using this until both problems get sorted out.
Free - yes - but it needs to be a little reliable.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea but the data is a but screwed! And no, I do NOT mean the actual OpenStreetMap data, but Navmii's conversion of it into their own format. All(?) the footpaths have been converted into roads in their data, meaning the application will use them for routing. This makes the routing unusable. Hopefully they can fix this ASAP so we do some proper testing. At the moment, it makes so many mistakes due to this problem it's not even worth testing or correcting data errors.

Example screenshot showing the differences between Navmii/Navfree and OSM: http://www.nickgilbert.com/etc/navmiibug.png
(I've highlighted footpaths in yellow)

Very promising app though...

Nick.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: