Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Eco Routes Q?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Eco Routes Q?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wellsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Eco Routes Q? Reply with quote

I've just installed the latest version of the software on my 940 Live.

I've been trying out Eco Routes for the last week or so and can't seem to see any difference from Fastest Route.

One instance when I was travelling from North Lincs to East Mids, it told me my route was going to be 91 miles which I knew to be on the long side. I looked at the route which involved taking me all the way over to the M1. I then asked the unit to avoid M1 and the new route (A15, A46) was 68 miles and within 3 minutes of the original time stated.

Can't see what's eco about that.

Anyone else had issues with this?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been trying out Eco Routes for the last week or so and can't seem to see any difference from Fastest Route.

Quite often the Fastest Route is the most Economical.
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the Eco Route should be different than Fastest in the situation where Fastest involves a long detour of say, an extra 10miles, just to save a couple of minutes.

I'll see if I can find an example.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be a few examples however they will be extreme exceptions and not the rule. The fact is it is more economical to get up to speed and stay at speed than it is it keep changing speed. Therefore the fastest route focusing mainly on motorways and a roads will almost always be the most economical too.
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there may be a bit of intelligence behind the route calculations.
When I switched to Eco Routes I noticed one difference on my commute home, and I've just tested it on a demo.

Point A to Point B, two possible routes.

Fastest Route Calculation 0.8M, shortcuts up a steep hill. This has always been the recommended route on previous Navcore versions.

Google Map Link

Ecoroute, a third of a mile longer, but a steady incline all the way.

Google Map Link

I'm not sure if the incline or the fact that the shortcut is classed as a B Road is the deciding factor here.

EDIT
I forgot to mention that driving in the opposite direction with Eco Routes directs me onto the shortcut, down the hill. Is it really that clever, surely not?
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaz666 wrote:
I think there may be a bit of intelligence behind the route calculations.
When I switched to Eco Routes I noticed one difference on my commute home, and I've just tested it on a demo.

Point A to Point B, two possible routes.

Fastest Route Calculation 0.8M, shortcuts up a steep hill. This has always been the recommended route on previous Navcore versions.

I'm not sure if the incline or the fact that the shortcut is classed as a B Road is the deciding factor here.

EDIT
I forgot to mention that driving in the opposite direction with Eco Routes directs me onto the shortcut, down the hill. Is it really that clever, surely not?

On my 840 map, it gives the same result as you for A-B but the return journey B-A is the long way for both "Fastest" and "Eco".

I found an example where both Fastest and Eco give the sme route but I think they shouldn't! Try Sandbach to Chester (both methods give 45minutes and 40miles which is the long way round via M6 and M56). However I think the most econonical route woud be the direct route. Using "Avoid motorways" gives 55minutes and only 26.5 miles. The route is nearly all A roads.

My diesel car would do 50mpg on the Fastest/Eco route. So 40miles at 50mpg works out at 0.8gallons.

On "Avoid Motorways" route my car would only need to do a very poor 33mpg to use the same amount of fuel. i.e. 26.5 miles at 33mpg is also 0.8gallons. However my car would never do less than 40mpg on this cross-country route. So 26.5miles at 40mpg works out at only 0.66 gallons which is nearly 20% less than TT's Eco route.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: