Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile Maps - Real Time Traffic Updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Maps - Real Time Traffic Updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Mobile Maps - Real Time Traffic Updates Reply with quote

Anybody using this and have any comments?

I am swapping my car soon and will lose the inbuilt satnav (really a waste of money @ £200 an update Shocked ) so going back to my Smartphone but traffic is a must as Honda's TMC was certainly quality. I used to use Tom Tom Traffic when it first came out and I may end up re-subscribing but they really are not pushing the boat out for the PDA market so also looking elsewhere.

I'm yet to find another smartphone application with a working traffic offering though? I see real time traffic updates listed on the sygic website but no posts about them here?
timuk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Coming "soon" Reply with quote

I have an email from Sygic support which says "Traffic info (TMC) is paid update which will be avialable very soon."
I'm looking forward to it - traffic is the only reason I'm not using my Mobile Maps at the moment and sticking, grudgingly, to TumTum.
If anyone has any further info it would be good to hear!
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is greyed out in Mobile Maps 10 menu, though the operating manual does not say it is chargeable.
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The traffic option had previously greyed out for me, but today I noticed it was active. I was able to display known trafic problems. I have no idea why didn't work in the past but did today.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggieboy

it didn't work because Sygic did not ship it with MM10 - they said that it was "coming soon". Their website says as of today " The service will be available for purchase in near future". When I queried it with their support a couple of weeks ago they said they would email all MM10 owners when it was available

After I read your email I had a look at mine. Switched on the traffic in the settings/online services menu. And sure enough traffic is no longer greyed out. And it appear to work with congestion showing in places. So how did Sygic do that without me downloading anything????

I wonder how long it will be free? The online services menu has an option for "fill login info". Suggests that may later have to subscribe. But hey lets enjoy it for free while we can.

So thanks for the heads up Baggieboy
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still greyed out here. If I try to connect it says it cannot connect to the server.

It did NOT initially say on their web site that traffic was coming soon. Hardly surprising as from March until June it said MM10 was available for download when it was NOT.

The 7 June 2010 email I got from them advising of my free upgrade said "While all maps and content are stored on the phone, we added online sharing of speed traps or road incident locations and within few weeks also real-time traffic."

No mention of chargeable there.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellwalker - Have you enabled Traffic? First you have to go into Settings then Online services and tick the box next to Traffic. When I did that the Traffic icon in the main menu changed from greyed out to being active.
Copilot for USA
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Fellwalker - Have you enabled Traffic? First you have to go into Settings then Online services and tick the box next to Traffic. When I did that the Traffic icon in the main menu changed from greyed out to being active.

Yes I'd done that. Rolling Eyes Also removed the tick, closed and restarted MM10, enabled the traffic, closed and restarted. Reset the HD2, did it all over again.

My version is 8.12 Build R-11565 MD, map version 7.80.

I'm now getting thoroughly fed up with Sygic. MM10 on my machine takes utter control of it. If I want to temporarily come out of MM10, go into another app to look something up, I cannot. As soon as I come out of MM10, I find it has hidden the SD card from the operating system, so any app installed on that is unavailable. It will not even return to MM10! It just says that the application is not found. The only way out is a soft reset by a long press on the right hand button, then a restart of the machine. I never though t I would say good things about TomTOm, but I'm wishing I had bought that instead. (Well, I do until I remember their abandonment of us leaving me with maps I could not update in TTN6).
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellwalker sorry to hear about your problems. I suspect these may be down to limitations in the Windows Mobile platform rather than Mobile Maps.

With my MM10 running on Android I can come out of it and leave it running in the background (just hit the "home" button on the Hero), which is more than I ever managed with TT running on WM. And I can then open other apps, including those using the SD card, and when I have finished I can go straight back into MM.

I am sure that is no consolation to you though.
Copilot for USA
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very odd this. I have not been able to repeat the problems today. I am able to switch to the home screen on my mobile, and open other programs, do stuff, go back to MM10, all without crashes. I have no idea what the problem might have been before! Maybe Windows mobile is not that bad.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke too soon. The traffic did work but now it doesn't any more. I keep getting "unable to connect to server" message and only way to get rid of it is to switch off traffic. I knew it was too good to last - I suspect that was Sygic just doing a test.

BaggieBoy - is your still working??
Copilot for USA
cannt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailled Sygic this week. They told me that Traffic would be available soon but couldn't give a date. I wonder if we will ever see it?
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cannt wrote:
I emailled Sygic this week. They told me that Traffic would be available soon but couldn't give a date. I wonder if we will ever see it?

It has made it as far as Australia so far but should be hitting the UK as some point but as you can tell this is a very flexible 'some point'.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: