Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Fantastic!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Fantastic!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunno
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought someone was having a good time with tt but i see i am wrong
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a great time with Tom Tom Nav 3. I think it's really great. I use a lots even when I know where I'm going. For just over £100 I think its one of the best things I ever bought.

OK occasionally it won't start (Bluetooth GPS) unless I soft reset my Ipaq but once up it is rock solid and alway gets me to the places I have never been before.

I'm definitely having a good time with Tom Tom
Memory Map
Fletch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK occasionally it won't start (Bluetooth GPS) unless I soft reset my Ipaq but once up it is rock solid and alway gets me to the places I have never been before.

i too have to reset the ipaq, the first time i use it in a morning, but i leave it on all day and have no problems with it at all
TheGoodMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC wrote:
I'm having a great time with Tom Tom Nav 3. I think it's really great. I use a lots even when I know where I'm going. For just over £100 I think its one of the best things I ever bought.

I'm definitely having a good time with Tom Tom

Wait until it takes you to the wrong place or you are unable to find the address.
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGoodMan wrote:
Wait until it takes you to the wrong place or you are unable to find the address.

Yes, and then your in the same position as if you didn't have it anyway.... so no loss is it? Its still a fantastic piece of kit. For the record, I'm in the group that has never not been able to find where he is going Smile

www.lanarchy.co.uk for LAN gaming near London
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I have never been taken to the wrong place and have never been unable to find either a postcode or street address. May be I'm just lucky. If you can't find an address can you find one nearby, likewise with a postcode?

Most peoples opinion of Tom Tom are based on their expectation. Now I'm not trying to offend anyone here, but I'm not sure some of these expectations are realistic. No navigation system is going to be 100% perfect. For instance I know people who have £2500 pounds worth of Sat Nav in their BMW's and they still get sent down wrong roads or are given inappropriate instruction. As far as I know Tom Tom is at least as good as these 'professional' systems.

You can buy Tom Tom plus a PDA and GPS for less the £500, that's great value as far as I'm concerned, and in addition you can use the PDA and GPS for other things, walking and cycling.

So yes like anything Tom Tom could be better, but for £100 I'm am very very happy with this application.
Memory Map
dunno
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree nothing is perfect ,& most certainly beats being lost , but the locking up can be frustrating and it always seems to lock up when you really really are depending on it
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had Tom Tom lock up on me. I can understand that this would be quite frustrating.

Perhaps there is something else other than Tom Tom that is at fault? I know that if you've got the Tom Tom maps on some SD cards then Tom Tom will lock up, but I think that could be argued as a problem with the SD card's design and perhaps not Tom Tom?
Memory Map
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfreeman wrote:
I'm not so sure. If TomTom 2 and every other program works on one particular SD card and TomTom3 doesn't, then surely the problem is with TomTom 3.

The problem is that the 2210 has a performance issue when accessing SD. In normal circumstances this is never observed but when pushed beyond a certain limit the problems people have experienced materialise. TTN3 appears to push the limits more than TTN2 did. Slow SD cards exacerbate the problem. Using CF for map storage cures it. I use CF for maps and SD for all other data and it's fine. The 2210 appears to suffer far more than others in this respect but at least this device has the option of CF.
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not so sure. If TomTom 2 and every other program works on one particular SD card and TomTom3 doesn't, then surely the problem is with TomTom 3.

Not necessarily so. Each new piece of software that is issued (by anybody) will make new and higher demands on the computer infrastructure. The same goes for TT3 which will likely make higher demands on an SD card than TT2 but that doesn't mean that it is 'faulty' or 'at fault'.

Try running XP on an (otherwise serviceable) old hard drive and see what happens!

Experienced people on these forums seem to get good results with TT3 by using good quality SD cards (or CF) - there is something to learn from them.

Steve
Nissan Connect
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Sorry Darren, you must have posted while I was typing.

Steve
Nissan Connect
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Smile If anything it just reinforces our responses Smile
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC may have a point here, we must remember that PDA's, ipaq's etc or whatever you want to call them were not built primarily for navigation. So we ask is it the unit or is it the software that causes these lock ups. Obviously we would like everything to work in harmony, so whats the answer when a £2000 factory supplied system still stuffs up.
I agree after reading some posts that some peoples expectations are really pushing the realms of realism. You can see that a lot of people come on here ( me included) looking for answers because we havent bothered to read the manual, so i would say i was pretty accurate in assuming that many wouldn't even bother researching a product as to what it can or can't do.
It is more like Wow, navigation that works from sattelites, blimey that means i wont get no traffic jams flying that high!!.
Seriously though, even with Go i find little things that are not quite 100% like some of the routes but at the end of the day you can usually work out a fix with your own common sense and a basic sense of direction.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: