Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Non-police speedtraps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-police speedtraps
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Why do they need to be CRB checked? I thought this was only for people working with children or vulnerable adults. The volunteers aren't actually approaching any of the drivers (and children shouldn't be driving cars anyway!).

there are several types of CRB check, I currently have two;

1. A basic disclosure - This just lists if you have any current or previous unspent convictions (the term refers to the time limit since the conviction, and varies upon severity of offence, but is normally 7 years). I have this type of CRB to get an aiport ID card.

2. An enhanced disclosure, this has everything the Basic check has plus various checks regarding work with children & vulnerable adults. I have this because I'm secretary of the local scouts group.

There is also some more advanced ones for working for the MOD etc.

Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard CRB checks used to include some verification for working with children/vulnerable adults, though apparently that has recently stopped. I have an Enhanced one as well, and co-ordinate all the applications from my local church.

Nevertheless, why do you need a CRB Disclosure to stand on a street corner with a speed gun?
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Nevertheless, why do you need a CRB Disclosure to stand on a street corner with a speed gun?

Obviuosly so the disclosure agencies can get 20 quid out of somebody Smile

spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoolsTwo wrote:
Daggers wrote:

Obviuosly so the disclosure agencies can get 20 quid out of somebody Smile

It possibly explains why some Community Speed Watch schemes can't get enough volunteers - they keep failing CRB checks on sanity grounds.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think councils like to CRB check anything/body that moves. I would guess they are covering themselves against the possibility, for example, of someone looking official approaching a child or whatever coming home from school.

Given that one council has just been told off in court for having their staff following, photographing, and making records for two weeks on a family's movements that they suspected of lying about their address to get the school they wanted, one can hardly be surprised at whatever they feel they are entitled to do in the course of their often warped sense of public service.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I think councils like to CRB check anything/body that moves.

Community Speed Watch schemes are not 'the council'.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Why do they need to be CRB checked?

I've been CRB checked, before I was allowed to do any bank runs for TNT. I had to pay the fee myself and TNT only ever gave me one run to do. Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, you don't want criminals/unsavoury characters in the position of reporting us innocent speeders, do you? Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No, of course not Rolling Eyes ! But Councils or Police Authorities are likely to be doing the recruiting.

Avon & Somerset:
Quote:
...make contact with your local Neighbourhood Policing Team, who will assist in the implementation of a Community Speed Watch.

Leicestershire:
Quote:
The County Council has already received over 200 expressions of interest.

And such authorities do tend to use CRB checks quite extensively
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
No - if you read the article that Dennis linked to, it states. "I myself have only once seen a camera van at a site I went to check and I once saw this local community speedwatch group (which is not a mobile camera)."

Just a bit of an update to this. That article was written quite a long time ago, so in fact I have now seen several camera vans in situ when I've gone to check a reported mobile site. I have only ever seen two community speedwatch operations in action - the one I pictured in a village just off the A303 in Wiltshire and another in Norton St Philip in Somerset. To my limited knowledge, I think there is a distinct difference between Community Speedwatch and "proper" mobile cameras - the "proper" ones do not usually try to hide sneakily (North Wales always excepted of course!!), whereas the Community ones I saw were poking out from behind something each time a vehicle approached, bit like snipers, trying to just show the gun, not themselves!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Quote:

No, of course not Rolling Eyes ! But Councils or Police Authorities are likely to be doing the recruiting.

Avon & Somerset:
Quote:
...make contact with your local Neighbourhood Policing Team, who will assist in the implementation of a Community Speed Watch.

Leicestershire:
Quote:
The County Council has already received over 200 expressions of interest.

And such authorities do tend to use CRB checks quite extensively

The local beat officer may go to a parish council meeting to talk about Community Speed Watch but volunteers are just as likely to come from neighbourhood watch members or entirely independent groups who consider speeding a local issue.

These are 'low threat' in terms of speed limit enforcement; the issue of CRB checks is irrelevant really.
Yiam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:

It possibly explains why some Community Speed Watch schemes can't get enough volunteers - they keep failing CRB checks on sanity grounds.

If Oldboy is right:

The group would seek grants of about £1200 to cover the cost of setting up the scheme, but in the past County Councillors have been very generous in funding schemes within their areas. The grants would be used to purchase the Speed Laser device, signs and high visibility jackets.

then you'd have to be mad NOT to want to be given money to experiment with a very expensive speed gun!

Anyone in the Guildford area interested in learning more about the weapons being aimed at us? Plus the added bonus of encouraging speeders to go misbehave in somebody else's back garden like the rest of us do (which one is the a tongue in cheek emoticon?)

I have noticed an increase recently in the number of these local community groups, often accompanied by real police persons. I wonder if a traffic cop looking over the shoulder of a "trained" civilian would count as acceptable evidence in court. Being a good boy I have never been going fast enough to find out.

One last point, I suspect the equipment they use is loaned from time to time when the real police aren't using it rather than purchased by the group otherwise I'm sure many of them would be out there every day.
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Co-incidently, there is a speedwatch thingy going on in my village for the next few weeks, where the organisers have been `trained` by the police to use the speed gun.

Upon asking, im not totally sure/convinced if the gun will be calibrated daily and the 10%+2 rule will apply before the reg details are passed onto police.

I will only know this, once I get my hands on the gun itself, if I can find the time to be poacher turned gamekeeper.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can write only of the area with which I once had knowledge. An obsolete gun was loaned by the police to a community speedwatch group. Training in its operation was given by the police and, at first under police supervision, volunteers popped up around the town using it.

After a period of time interest waned but by then a nucleus of do-gooders had persuaded the local neighbourhood watch scheme (some of whose committee were also members of the dwindling community speedwatch scheme) to purchase a gun outright.

The last I heard, the gun (which was never calibrated to my knowledge) was being used by the chairman of speedwatch at a Saturday morning kids' session at the local football club to see how fast the ball travelled.

I'd be surprised if the police loaned kit that was actively being used for enforcement by them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: