Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 9.058 for x40 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

9.058 for x40 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brucebb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Thanks Andy Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
bucebb, did yousee these posts just above yours?

xspartx wrote:
Oddly the unit will not give me the option to upgrade to the new software.

It is stuck on version 9.054 and says no upgrades available.

Anyone else had this issue?

dhn wrote:
Some users on North American forums have.

So they uninstalled 9.054 from their units and then were offered the new app when they connected to Home.

You can uninstall 9.054 by deleting all the files on the unit that are NOT inside yellow folders. Do not delete any of the folders.

Also, do you know how to make a backup? Details for that are in the FAQs at the top of this forum section, and you should DEFINITELY make one before doing the above (or any other changes).

I had seen it but didnt appreciate what it actually meant. Did as suggested, deleted all files not in folders and then updated simply to the latest sofware thank you.
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that this is a dramatic improvement and one for which (comments to follow notwithstanding) TomTom should feel pretty pleased. I have a 940, almost two years old now, and this update brings it bang up to date in my opinion. I always use the vertical status bar, and it is so much better laid out (and the addition of lane guidance is superbly implemented).

Now, I am no TT apologist, and have had my fair share of resets, map configuration errors, failed downloads and so on (and the release of the "broken" version 9.054 was a technical disaster) but credit where it's due - this is a serious upgrade. It has instantly deferred any thought of replacement for me. The unit still struggles to an extent due to the limitations of its 400 Mhz processor, but nothing can change that. Just think what it could do with a 1 Ghz Snapdragon inside :-)

Now, I have one niggle, and I may be missing something in the menus, but I am not a fan of the screen transitions. I like the screen just to change, pop, that's it, not scroll in from the left, right or centre, fade away or disappear in wavy lines. Is there any setting that I can find that allows me to remove the screen transitions....?

Cheers in advance,

David
vlbaindoor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I had updated my Tom Tom 940 to this new firmware (9.058) and here is my feedback:

Been on a rather long journey - more than 3 hours each way.

During this period the Live information disappeared a couple of times along the way and re-appeared. But more disturbingly the device simply rebooted on both journey's - all on its own.

First time round I kind of blamed myself as during a break in the journey I had connected my mobile to the device by switching on the blue tooth on the mobile. After starting the journey I found that the device simply rebooted after some time - reason unknown - it started back with the 'drum roll reboot' while I was still driving. Luckily it locked onto the statellites and continued the navigation.

But on the return journey it again rebooted while I was driving and it took a while to actually restart, lost the satellite signal for a long time while I was still driving on the busy 'A' road - I had to depend on the road signs and my own common sense to navigate as the Satnav was showing a greyed out screen and complaining GPS signal lost. Then it came back and started navigating but only after a long long time (at least after 20 minutes of no GPS signal).

'Live' data connection seems to be patchy - while not driving I had once tried to do a Google search and it did suddenly come back with the dreaded 'SIM Card problem' message. During the day it had failed more than once to get any google data for me complaining there is some server problem and I can try connecting later etc

Looks like Live services is giving this firmware problems and may be even the reason why the device reboots on its own.

During the journey I did notice that the screen refresh was considerably slower than with old firmware (8.x) - the display often lagging behind a lot when I need it the most - such as at a complex round-about - this resulted in me taking wrong turns and then blaming myself.

My conclusion is - I am going back to the old firmware - I can not have the device booting on its own while I am driving my car and loosing satellite for such a long time. Having subscribed to the Live service I want to make use of it when I need it - while I am in a new, strange city.

I would be restoring the full back up I had taken before allowing the device to upgrade the firmware.

To make matters worse for this new release, I am yet to find any positive differences from the earlier version - it seems to be just better looking display - but what I want most is an accurate display - not a pretty display but accurate one.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finding that the unit is for no apparent reason losing its sounds.

Even with the navigation sounds on and all sounds on it doesnt want to speak to me half way through a journey. A full reset sorts this but again goes sometime later.... any thoughts?

S.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

After a few days trying this out I have full LIVE services, albeit slow to bring up traffic from boot up. I also have 3 duplicate services which are due to expire next month with the 'full set' to follow a year later. This is probably due to TT extending my existing sub due to a problem with the monthly subs some time ago.

I still cannot operate my device through HOME, although I see on this forum that it can be a few days before TT enables this following an update sometimes, although this will be the first time I've had the problem.

I'm also still getting a weird thing happening. I have a shutdown sound associated with turning the device off, and since updating, when I plug my TT into my laptop it plays this sound back as I press the YES button to connect to HOME!
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a new icon on my screen today; it looked rather like a wiper blade crossing a dirty windscreen and leaving streaks. This was after re-installing 9.058 and discovering I had no live services.
Wunay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyskiesman wrote:
I had a new icon on my screen today; it looked rather like a wiper blade crossing a dirty windscreen and leaving streaks. This was after re-installing 9.058 and discovering I had no live services

Was it just the icon representing that your mobile phone was not connected?
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not an icon I've seen before. It was curved lines from position 9 to position 12 (or 270 degrees to 360 degrees) with a line inbetween the 10 and 11 positions.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's nothing to do with *your* mobile phone connection, it's saying that the internal SIM and GPRS "phone" are out of range and cannot make contact with the TT servers, so you're not getting Live Services.

It's supposed to be the "Live" logo with a line through it (although on at least one of my other units it's the other way round from the picture on the bezel!)
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot use Google, despite my LIVE subs being up to date, and being able to access most of the other LIVE services (HD Traffic, Buddies etc)*. Trying to use Google to navigate, or trying to use Google Local Search gives a "Cannot connect to Tomtom LIVE services. Please try again later" error.

*Weather gives the same error

Any ideas?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got the double entries in the "MY SERVICES" as this can cause problems.

I had a free month of Live Services with no logon but now I am back on my account I am getting the "Something went wrong" message when I try to search. I don't think TomTom did anything with my account when I was on the no logon account.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seamaster, I had that for a while after first turning on. Once the GPS got a fix everything seemed to kick into place.

Just in case others are having the same problem, I found another fix on TT support for the lack of 'Operate my GO' function and it suggested this:

Quote:
◦Delete the files that HOME uses to operate your device.

◦Exit TomTom HOME.

◦Delete any files or the folder in the following location:

◦Windows Vista
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\TomTom\HOME\Profiles\random name.default\extensions

◦Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\TomTom\HOME\Profiles\7sm5gy7v.default\extensions\

◦Mac OS X
Users/username/Application Support/TomTomHOME/Profiles/random name/extensions

◦Start TomTom HOME again.

◦Try using Operate my device again.

I'm on Windows 7 but tried it anyway. I found two folders in the extensions folder, both referring to v8.x navcores, I deleted them as per and tried again. It didn't work and now the extensions folder is empty.

Looks like it's wait for TT time.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the LIVE services on my 940 just now.

Weather connected straight away (after the usual spinning wheel for about 10-20 seconds) as did updating the mobile cameras, but when I tried a Google search I got the same error message as you the first time.

I tried again immediately and had no problem the second time.

Clutching at straws, are all the different services still showing as 'in date' on the "My Services" page?
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the things which were there before and have been taken away I've gone back to 8.371. I always liked to know exactly where the traffic problems were so if an alternative route was offered I would be better informed as to whether to accept it or not, so not having this function is a serious omission for me. Also not being able to see current battery charge properly; I use my TomTom daily to drive anything between 200 and 380 miles, and also to find railway stations/bus stops on foot, so could have to rely on decent battery power for possibly an hour or more. The final straw was the omission (on mine at least) of speed limit beside actual speed.
Having said this, I did like the new look with the larger information regarding time, speed etc. so if any of these things are sorted or become "bearable" in the future then I would switch back to 9.058.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Have you got the double entries in the "MY SERVICES" as this can cause problems.

I have a weird triple entry: "LIVE Services" with a Google icon, "LIVE services" with a Weather icon and "LIVE Services" with a QuickGPSfix icon. Confused

Andy_P wrote:
Clutching at straws, are all the different services still showing as 'in date' on the "My Services" page?

Mmmnnn... The weird duplicates have 4/2009 against them, all the rest have the correct date of 2/2012.

Time to email Tomtom, I think.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 4 of 21

Jump to: