Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom POI (on new models)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom POI (on new models)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milysev
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: TomTom POI (on new models) Reply with quote

Quote from latest newsletter...
"the software isn't markedly different from previous offerings and eyebrows will be raised at the removal of custom POI support from these new models."

Does this mean that the new software won't accept the speed camera database??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with the new devices is down to the folders and files on the unit being hidden from the owner, the only interaction with the device is by using a new version of TomTom Home and this doesn't have options to add third party POI files from your PC to the device.

None of these new units are currently on sale, the current model range will work with the Speed Camera database from this site as well as any other custom POI files you might want to install - Mike
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

None of these new units are currently on sale, the current model range will work with the Speed Camera database from this site as well as any other custom POI files you might want to install - Mike

I got an invitation the other day to pre-order (from TT or Amazon?).

So people may commit themselves to purchasing these devices on the assumption that "they are the latest version so they must be the best".

Managed to resist the teptaption Laughing
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the offer to pre-purchase also and felt like asking them why I should spend all that money to downgrade from my 720 Very Happy
milysev
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: New Models Reply with quote

Mike
Thanks for your reply and explaination. I need to replace a very old Go so will stick with old model. Sorry for delay in reply have been away from computer funnily enough in Blackpool visiting my Mum. Should have popped in to see you for the reply.
Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends upon what you want from the nav unit, obviously Third Party POI files are important to you which means the new Go-1000 product line up is useless and to be avoided but all the other models should be ok.

Do you have a list of things you expect from it such as Live services, European maps or UK&ROI, TTS, handsfree for the phone etc? - Mike
milysev
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to keep things simple. I just use a gps for navigation. Don't even need the live services. I picked up an XXL in the USA earlier this year and that works fine with the european maps and the POIs. I use the old Go in a Nissan Pathfinder with built in GPS. The Go is for the speed cameras. I need to update the map in the built in system but object to paying £170 for a DVD hence I thought I might update the Go.
I like the XXL screen etc but would prefer something with a card slot for extra memory if reqd. I have used the Go around the world and it was easy to preload maps on a spare memory card for USA etc.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the Go models from the past few years will offer a memory card slot x20, x30, x30 and x50 units, you can still purchase the x30 devices as reconditioned, some retailers will still have stock of the x40 units (940 being the most capable device TomTom have ever produced IMHO) and the x50 units are still available as new -Mike
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from the OP and the review on here of the 1000, it was mentioned that TT are keen to encourage the use of 'Apps' on the new units.

If the PGPSW data base wont go on as it does now, can PGPSW not write an app for the new TT's that basically add the function, but all the adding of POI's is done from the app rather than through windows explorer.

If this is possible then the facility within this app to modify to add our own POI files (customer addresses etc) would be beneficial. If ALL TT units went down the same route in the future, I would gladly pay for such an app as navigating to POI's for me is a major use of a TT for me.

Steve
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the original mention of a possible "apps" store etc. there has been absolutely no mention of it by TomTom.
Many people here tend to believe it was either mis-heard, mis-interpreted, or simply mis-spoken.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being rather cynical when it comes to TomTom Home in any version released or otherwise how about the following:

An application to put PGPSW Speed Cameras on to the new TomTom devices that would be dependent upon the Home software to deliver the data to the device.

Now consider the following (which is FACT), TomTom Premium Safety Cameras using data provided from Road Angel employed on the x40 Live and x50 Live products. A quality product when it left Road Angel so why have we seen threads on here asking for assistance by the top chap at Road Angel wanting to know why its not working. Do you trust TomTom to deliver data to your device untouched and secure, or that they won't share the data all over the intertnet, let alone mess with the data reducing its effectiveness.

Call me paranoid, but a number of personal POI files I use which are work related are not something I would feel happy with sharing via any version of Home. As I don't trust Home not to share any data by copying it to its server I simply wouldn't bother using it - Net result a device devoid of custom POI support therefore useless to me - If it ain't secure then I won't use it.

Like Andy has said there is nothing cast iron about any form of "TomTom App Store" and I would be rather dubious of using such a "service"

Just my personal view on this issue - Mike
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Now consider the following (which is FACT), TomTom Premium Safety Cameras using data provided from Road Angel employed on the x40 Live and x50 Live products. A quality product when it left Road Angel so why have we seen threads on here asking for assistance by the top chap at Road Angel wanting to know why its not working. Do you trust TomTom to deliver data to your device untouched and secure, or that they won't share the data all over the intertnet, let alone mess with the data reducing its effectiveness.

I recollect a post that says TT have an agreement with the police that they will not register a camera site until it has been running for a year. If this is true then presumably they use RA data that is 12 months old.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess TomTom must also have an agreement with the Federation of Petroleum Suppliers to supply 5 year old fuel prices Rolling Eyes
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
I guess TomTom must also have an agreement with the Federation of Petroleum Suppliers to supply 5 year old fuel prices Rolling Eyes

Laughing
I'm driving from Manchester to Cardiff soon - apparently there's diesel at 1.05 on route - I'm taking a stack of jerry cans with me!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: