Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lost Map Share
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost Map Share
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rest my case why does it not interrogate my mapshare download preferences and then decide what message to display?

25 years of programming did at least teach me something.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i have seen (over 18 months of 740 ownership) the message does look at your MapShare preferences and only offers those that fit your selected level of trust. I've have a high level of trust set and have never seen Home inform me of any MapShare updates pending but not download them as they are from sources below my level of trust. I'm sure when i first got my 740 i messed about with the Trust levels and different numbers of MapShare updates where offered depending on the level you set.

The repeated offering of the same number of updates after updating is a new problem that will probably be resolved soon...

MrT where does your information come from that Home operates the way you describe?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went into Home it offered 5 corrections for W&CE and 1 for UK&ROI. Home downloaded and installed the corrections but then still said that the same number of corrections were available and my maps were 20 weeks out of date.

Changing the trust level as the slider moved in Home, the size of the corrections on the device was zero for strict and high whilst it was tiny for medium and low.

Changing the trust level to medium then updating resulted in Home saying there were no corrections available and my maps were up to date.

Changing the the trust level back to strict and updating then reverted to saying my map had not been updated for 20 weeks and there were 5 corrections available.

Today there are 6 medium and low map corrections available.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through multiple experiments with changing the trust level and re-downloading something small to reset the message/counter, I have found much the same behaviour.

This isn't how it has always worked in the past though, MrT.

Previously, ALL the corrections were downloaded every time, and the trust level slider only determined how many were actually used (because you could adjust it while out on the road without any internet connection).

So there is still something wrong....
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just wrong, wrong, wrong, all the time these days. having read the latest newsletter it looks as though Navigon maybe the next PND of choice.

For me the phone will remain a phone, but I don't mind if it can take a picture if I need it in emergency.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Through multiple experiments with changing the trust level and re-downloading something small to reset the message/counter, I have found much the same behaviour.

This isn't how it has always worked in the past though, MrT.

Previously, ALL the corrections were downloaded every time, and the trust level slider only determined how many were actually used (because you could adjust it while out on the road without any internet connection).

So there is still something wrong....

Same here. Changing the slider and connecting with Home does give different numbers of updates but it's not giving me consistent numbers. After updating sometimes it offers the same number again or says I am up to date. Check with Home again and I'm 20 weeks out of date again!

I've found after a map update it always used to show the 20 weeks message for the first few days or so until the first download was availible.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that TomTom have not added any updates yet and the few that are there are where many people have submitted updates which have not been verified.

I don't think anything has actually changed it is just this situation has never arisen before where TomTom have not provided updates and users have. After all before you would never actually know how many corrections have really been downloaded and how many are being displayed, you would just have believed the number displayed in Home.

I have never had much faith in this which is why I leave it on the strict setting and sometimes I wonder if the updates are worth having at all as they never add roads or change layouts, they just fiddle around with a few names and turn restrictions.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a reply from TomTom about the issue, the third paragraph is hinting that a user should simply ignore it!

TomTom Customer Support wrote:
Thank you for contacting us.

Map Share TomTom has a unique technology that allows you to add, update and personalize your maps instantly. You can even share your changes with other users and benefit from theirs, so simple and automatic daily via TomTom HOME

The MapShare has no impact on the mapping that you load into your TomTom or navigation device on Tomtom Home. The problem from our system and showing the message in question.

Therefore, we invite you simply do not take into consideration the message. We apologize for the inconvenience.

We hope to have responded clearly and positively to your request for assistance.
Do not hesitate to contact us again if that was not the case
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad there then, for me currently on the x40, the latest application does not work correctly, the latest Home is not working correctly and the account on the servers is not working correctly.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Customer Support wrote:

The MapShare has no impact on the mapping that you load into your TomTom or navigation device on Tomtom Home. The problem from our system and showing the message in question.

(Snip)

We hope to have responded clearly and positively to your request for assistance.

Err.. No. It's clear as mud! Mad
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had six free map share updates available today and it applied two of them or that what it said after the update had completed, but experience recently says you cannot believe almost anything you see in Home.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just connected the Go 720 via home and got a small download for MapShare, let it install and now it shows "Map up to date, 65 MapShare Correction in use"

Map Share settings on the Go are for TT verified only. So MapShare is working again on the latest maps.

Device details as below.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: