Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon for Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon for Android

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvaudrery
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Navigon for Android Reply with quote

Hello

does anyone know if the speed camera alerts can be installed on Navigon for android?

I think i know the answer myself that its a no but i thought i would ask just to make sure.

Thanks
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Navigon for Android Reply with quote

jvaudrery wrote:
Hello

does anyone know if the speed camera alerts can be installed on Navigon for android?

I think i know the answer myself that its a no but i thought i would ask just to make sure.

Thanks

Ditto jvaudrery. I'm using CoPilot 8 on my Legend but would considder the Navigon if it can take the PGPSW speed cams.

Somebody please
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, but you could use the (free) radardroid and use our database with that (you need the igo database and choose to install database from sd card - takes an hour though...!)

you'd get the audio warnings from radardroid but there'd be no icon in navigon though.

MaFt
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
no, but you could use the (free) radardroid and use our database with that (you need the igo database and choose to install database from sd card - takes an hour though...!)

you'd get the audio warnings from radardroid but there'd be no icon in navigon though.

MaFt

Thanks MaFt, I think I stick with CoPilot 8 for the time being although I miss the speed cameras speed warning as given in my old TT1
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
MaFt

I just showed that app to MikeB last evening. It can use your speedcam data? I didn't notice that.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, not got my Hero to hand at the moment but on the settings there is an option of 'install database' and then you can 'install from sd card' instead of using the (terribly poor [for the uk at least]) database they offer.

i wasn't joking though when i said it takes an hour to install the uk database! you need to use the iGO database and it is directional too.

i'll add some proper instructions to the compatibility chart soon.

do you have a quick link to an app i can use for screenshots on android?!

MaFt
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no native screenshot function on an Android like there is on your iPhone, tho I think I may have read that Froyo/2.2 addresses that. For now, if rooted, there's several options with the best being DroCap2 according to users. But for non-rooted phones, you need to make use of the Android SDK afaik. Hard to believe a simple screen capture would be problematic. There's a pretty straightforward explanation here and once done it's actually pretty quick for future captures:

http://tinyurl.com/28fbl4r
ukjoker
Occasional Visitor
qrcode

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im busy installing the DB from SD card, ZZZzzz Laughing Out Loud
Is there an option i have to disable In Navigon for the speedcam warnings or does radardroid just auto overide the setting? Does it matter which app is started first between Navigon and Radardroid?
Ive been trying Navigon out on my Nexus One for the free 30 day trial and im pretty impressed so far...except for the speedcam warnings.

Im also installing them by type rather than one consolidated file, is that ok?

Any help or advice will be gratefully accepted

Ok, im done...it took about 30 mins. It says 11946 cameras in the database, does that sound right?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukjoker wrote:
Im busy installing the DB from SD card, ZZZzzz Laughing Out Loud

sloooowwwwwww isn't the word...! needless to say CamerAlert for Android will be far faster to update Very Happy (ps don't ask about any dates as it's not even at alpha stage yet...!!)

there is a setting somewhere to say what types of cameras to install/warn for. make sure you tick them all BEFORE importing. i made that mistake and then had to reinstall again!

ukjoker wrote:
Is there an option i have to disable In Navigon for the speedcam warnings or does radardroid just auto overide the setting? Does it matter which app is started first between Navigon and Radardroid?

doesn't matter which. radardroid will 'talk' to you in the background over any sounds (app, music etc) that are currently playing.

ukjoker wrote:
Im also installing them by type rather than one consolidated file, is that ok?

yes, just remember that at update time (every wednesday) to clear the installed cameras BEFORE updating. this was another mistake i made and i ended up with both the included database AND pgpsw on their...

ukjoker wrote:
Ok, im done...it took about 30 mins. It says 11946 cameras in the database, does that sound right?

pretty quick! to my Hero an hour... what device do you have?

according to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/activecams.php there should be 11,234 cameras... what version of the database are you using?

MaFt
ukjoker
Occasional Visitor
qrcode

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the answers MaFt,
i'm using a Nexus One and the Db is Version 8.061 (02 Jun 10)

I also installed the pmobile.txt file as well so maybe thats where the discrepancy in the speedcam totals comes from?
bdbl2405
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Have just installed radardroid and like others find the supplied poi db inaccurate hence have wandered over here.

Is installation as simple as subscribing, downloading and copying to the sd card and then following the instructions in radardroid? Or is there stuff (like removing the old db) that I should be aware of?

All help and tips gratefully received Very Happy

Thanks

Robin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: