Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dorset trial School Zone Average Speed Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dorset trial School Zone Average Speed Cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Dorset trial School Zone Average Speed Cameras Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comA new type of average speed camera is being rolled out for trials on roads surrounding a school in Dorset.

The new SafeZone cameras, manufactured by Siemens, measure the average speed of vehicles travelling between two camera sites and are being trialled with the support of Borough of Poole council, Dorset County Council, the Dorset Safety Camera Partnership and Springdale First School.

The cameras cannot be used for enforcement as they do not (yet) have Home Office approval but this is the first use of such technology to enforce speed limits in a school zone.

Will the use of Average speed cameras technology for such purposes meet with greater approval by road users? Read the full press release here.

BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: What a good idea Reply with quote

Whilst not a fan of the historical methods of selecting speed camera locations where they do seem to be used for revenue generation, I must say that average speed cameras around schools are an excellent idea.

I'd be very happy for my local school to get these too. They could even go one step further and make the limit 30mph at normal times and 20mph during school times Very Happy
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are going to have arbitrary speed enforcement then I think that well targeted Average Speed Cameras are the way to go. By well targeted I mean near schools, hospitals, and other areas where vulnerable people need protecting.

It makes far more sense for the cameras to protect school kids than stretches of road where there have been no or few accidents.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
If we are going to have arbitrary speed enforcement then I think that well targeted Average Speed Cameras are the way to go. By well targeted I mean near schools, hospitals, and other areas where vulnerable people need protecting.

It makes far more sense for the cameras to protect school kids than stretches of road where there have been no or few accidents.

Seems a perfectly sensible move to force traffic to slow down were lives are at risk in conjunction with other initiatives such as traffic calming we have many roads which are dual carriageway, lots of open areas around them that have (and need) a 30MPH speed limit because of schools etc but the road looks live a 40 or a 50 road. I am sure we have all broken the speed limit in these circumstances.

Quote:
Whilst not a fan of the historical methods of selecting speed camera locations where they do seem to be used for revenue generation

This question may have been asked before but why are local authorities turning these cash machines off to save money? Is it solely the changes to funding so that road safety partnerships dont get the money back?

I wonder if we will ever get to the point where speeding is seen in the same light as drinking and driving? It used to be "socially acceptable", the breathalyser was loathed but now no-one defends drinking and driving.

Speed does kill where it is dangerous, appropriate measures to persuade drivers to go slower when needed are fine.

Could we not fit everybody's car with a video camera so that police could examine driving details after a crash? That would be interesting!
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
... This question may have been asked before but why are local authorities turning these cash machines off to save money? Is it solely the changes to funding so that road safety partnerships dont get the money back?...

They are not turning them off because they are not profitable. The rules were changed some time ago whereby the Government retained all profit from the cameras. The local authorities were allocated a budget for road safety they ploughed a lot of this into installing and maintaining speed cameras.

The budget for road safety as a whole has been cut by 20% this year therefore the local authorities have decided to cut the funding to Camera projects and use the money elsewhere.

The cameras still make lots of money, but the profits can not be re-invested back into the Authority.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
This question may have been asked before but why are local authorities turning these cash machines off to save money? Is it solely the changes to funding so that road safety partnerships dont get the money back?

Yes, central government funding for road safety has been reduced and I suspect the withdrawal of cameras is being done to garner headlines only. They can choose to spend their money on the cameras if they wish but they doubtless want the funds generated to come back to them as they used to do some years back?
Quote:
I wonder if we will ever get to the point where speeding is seen in the same light as drinking and driving? It used to be "socially acceptable", the breathalyser was loathed but now no-one defends drinking and driving.

They need to target those who are serial offenders and flout the speed limits by a wider margin. By labelling everyone who breaches the arbitrary limits by even the smallest of margins as a criminal the message is lost.
Quote:
Speed does kill where it is dangerous, appropriate measures to persuade drivers to go slower when needed are fine.

Agreed, but monetary fines are far from the most effective punishment.
Quote:
Could we not fit everybody's car with a video camera so that police could examine driving details after a crash? That would be interesting!

Why go as far as a camera? A simple GPS equipped black box data recorder would do the job. But we're already way to far into big brother territory, would we accept such a proposal?
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In places where speed is genuinely a safety issue, I prefer cameras to some physical solutions:

I have come across many people who have experienced suspension alignment and track rod end problems where the garages are suggesting that speed humps are causing lots of similar problems.

Chicanes cause lots of problems IMHO - I have had a very serious near miss where the oncoming driver ignored my priority through the chicane. Also I've seen many near road rage level incidents caused by these.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Yes, central government funding for road safety has been reduced and I suspect the withdrawal of cameras is being done to garner headlines only. They can choose to spend their money on the cameras if they wish but they doubtless want the funds generated to come back to them as they used to do some years back?

You might be right as far as headline-grabbing is concerned, but it seems a little short-sighted on behalf of central government. They are going to lose more money (in fines not collected) than they are saving in funding not paid out.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, without the figures I couldn't comment. But consider this, if road safety was the core issue, why make such a big noise about turning them off in the first place?
willmow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things: the system should be on a timer so it only operates during school hours, e.g. not at night, weekends or during hols. And it won't detect PTWs as the cameras are forward-facing.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willmow wrote:
Two things: the system should be on a timer so it only operates during school hours, e.g. not at night, weekends or during hols. And it won't detect PTWs as the cameras are forward-facing.

PTW's?
willmow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Powered Two-Wheelers.

It's way past your bedtime Darren....... Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know it either.

But The Acronym Dictionary did... Smile
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
PTW's?

Powered two wheelers. Mad

I have tried really hard, but I can't think of a "powered two wheeler" vehicle that most normal people would not call a "motorcycle" or perhaps a "scooter". Why do we need this ridiculous acronym?
willmow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikers are invisible to SPECS, but often you're kept to the limit by the sheer weight of traffic (unless you're a moronic lane weaver.....)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: