Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Any way to switch TMC providers?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Any way to switch TMC providers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horatio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Any way to switch TMC providers? Reply with quote

I think I already know the answer to this one, but I'm asking on the offchance.

I've just had a letter from TrafficMaster, telling me that my trusty YQ2 will be obsolete as of March next year. I have become so reliant on the thing that I even end up jerry-rigging the 240v base (though an inverter) onto the dashboard whenever I have a hire car. On the few occasions that I've forgotten to renew the key in time, I really haven't enjoyed the few days without it.

TomTom's TMC is all well and good, but where the two disagree (and they often do) the YQ is the one that I trust. What I'd really like to do is have the TrafficMaster data integrated into my Carminat TomTom system, but I understand that TomTom use the iTMC service instead.

First of all, is this correct, or am I just better at interpreting the TrafficMaster data than TomTom is? Secondly, is there any way I can pay for a TrafficMaster TMC subscription and tell TomTom to connect to that instead? I'm used to paying £110 per year for the YQ2 key, so I wouldn't baulk at paying a similar amount to have TrafficMaster data integrated into my sat-nav.

Or do I just have to go out, buy a Garmin, and use that in spite of having a built-in TomTom?

I do believe that they now have a YQ style smartphone app, but I read that it wasn't particularly easy to use while driving.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not possible to swap the traffic over to a different data supplier, it simply won't work - Mike
Horatio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Its not possible to swap the traffic over to a different data supplier, it simply won't work - Mike

Thanks, Mike. That was pretty much the answer I was expecting to be honest. I was just hoping that somebody knew something that I didn't.

Perhaps I'll ask TomTom about it. You never know, they might just offer it as an option if they think there's a market for it.
philce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horatio wrote:
mikealder wrote:

Thanks, Mike. That was pretty much the answer I was expecting to be honest. I was just hoping that somebody knew something that I didn't.

Perhaps I'll ask TomTom about it. You never know, they might just offer it as an option if they think there's a market for it.

I have a YQ (yes the original!) and a Garmin C550. I didnt know about the phase out of the YQ units, but using the Vodafone packnet network is I suppose now old hat! I still cant believe my unit is working still after all this time!

I always used the YQ data as the final say on any holdups, it is so much more reliabe than the TMC offerings and I will miss it. Shame.

My Garmin has both Trafficmaster and ITTS enabled as TMC providers. To be brutally honest they are both as bad as each other out of date info and poor reception.

I haven't tried any of the connected offerings because I always used the YQ, I suppose I will have to look! I suppose the £120 PA can go towards that now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: