Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Alerts: How To Achieve Multiple Lifetime Status
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Alerts: How To Achieve Multiple Lifetime Status
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case I was in the office, which overlooks a busy junction, and I saw the van pull up and start erecting the camera.

Without hesitation I got straight here Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Graculus
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my life membership when the database was first being set up. As the database was relatively empty then, it was fairly easy to add new cameras as I drove around. It was made easier as I was running TomTom Navigator on an iPaq PDA at the time, so running POIcapture at the same time, it was easy to press a button and add a new point as I passed a camera. Much harder to do now with TTN on my Samsung Omnia, so it's a case of trying to memorise the location and going onto the maps some time later (so I usually forget).
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Alerts: How To Achieve Multiple Lifetime St Reply with quote

Heard about the PGPSW database from some colleagues. Submitted some cameras after a trip to France. Also noticed that some of the cameras in the Limehouse Link in London were either not in the database, or incorrectly located, and after some discussion about this in the forums with Skippy and MaFt, became one of the first verifiers.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to see the term "train spotter" but I suspect in my case it might be quite true!

I hate seeing inaccuracy in things like POI databases or maps, so tend to send in corrections whenever I can.

When the chance to become a verifier was offered, I foolishly believed it would be a short-term occupation, clearing a backlog of false or mistaken reports, and once it was done that was it!

Silly me! There is a constant stream of sightings that need verifying and sometimes I'll admit there is a perverse pleasure in seeing what the hopeful reporter MISTOOK for a camera - often a camera sign or a cctv camera or in one case a yellow packing case!

To be honest, by the time the reports get to us, most of the "good" ones have already been accepted by other methods, so we are left with the remains which usually aren't correct.

But it's always a thrill to ACCEPT a new camera report and hope that it creates a new "lifer" (something which we verifiers unfortunately don't get to find out) - but I suppose it's fairer that way to keep it all anonymous.
karlnewsome
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have been awarded 4 lifetime memberships now, I am a lorry driver usually travelling within 80 - 100 miles of Derby.

I mark the location of any camera not on the database on my tomtom and also send in a still image taken from the footage of my dashcam as soon as I get in.

I have submitted camera vans and then maybe never seen them again.

I have just submitted changes in speed to six specs cameras nearby too.

I think I was a member for two years before I joined the lifers club Very Happy
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have reported a number of cameras in and around the Chelmsford area,I do remember that the veryfication took an age though but it comes to those that wait,Driving a taxi gets me about so hence the cameras I have seen.

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

In my case it took some time as the PGPSW database is so good! I would submit a camera and it had already been submitted!

However, you are right in one of your assumptions I do a lot of driving for my living. I still look out for new cameras and mobiles and submit them as I see them.

Cheers

SDM197.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I became a lifer after submitting a bunch of specs on the M4 around Newbury. I just happened to be driving the road the day they put the cameras up. Since then I have been first again a number of times - for both mobile and fixed installations. These have mainly been around where I live and work but I do keep an eye out whenever I am out just in case there is something unreported.
Sproing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Alerts: How To Achieve Multiple Lifetime St Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I can't help but think that if a member was doing a big road trip in Europe (or even a bit of holiday driving) they could research the camera types for that country and keep a keen eye out for cameras and submit them - I get the impression (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) that the accuracy and completeness of the database is ~ 99.9% in the UK but may not be quite as complete for other countries so there may be opportunities to be had there.

Exactly - I subscribed just before a trip to Belgium (my TomTom subscription had run out a couple of weeks before, and I was fed up with submitting corrections and having them ignored for months...)

I must have submitted about 20 red light cameras (they do like those over there!) plus a couple of limit corrections for the Gatsos on the Gent bridge - it must have been about 3 weeks between first subscribing and getting lifetime membership Very Happy

I usually get to Belgium a couple of times a year - and there are still new cameras each time.

Conclusion: go to Belgium. But get someone else to drive, as then you can have a beer!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Alerts: How To Achieve Multiple Lifetime St Reply with quote

Sproing wrote:
I must have submitted about 20 red light cameras (they do like those over there!) plus a couple of limit corrections for the Gatsos on the Gent bridge - it must have been about 3 weeks between first subscribing and getting lifetime membership Very Happy

Do you want the coveted 'Lifetime Member' tag under your forum username?

MaFt
Sproing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Camera Alerts: How To Achieve Multiple Lifetime St Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Do you want the coveted 'Lifetime Member' tag under your forum username?MaFt

Hadn't even noticed I didn't have it, but yes please Smile
Meter_Man
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: From a lifer! Reply with quote

As you might imagine from my username, I read meters for a living (but not for much longer)

I work out of area quite a bit and travel around Leicestershire and the B postcode area.

I always report new cameras whether fixed or mobile and do a "seen again" for mobiles where appropriate - I normally stop in the next lay-by and use my iPhone, it's easier that capturing coordinates through Mapsource.

In saying that, I was pleasantly surprised to receive lifetime status, I'd reported several cameras in the weeks bfore so have no idea which one did it!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: