Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - XL LIVE reboots when turned on
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

XL LIVE reboots when turned on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: XL LIVE reboots when turned on Reply with quote

When i turn on my XL LIVE IQ routes after a few seconds it freezes up and then does a reboot and after that it is ok for the rest of the time it is turned on. The problem is i can turn my TT off about ten times a day so this can become a real pain. I have tried all the basics and wondered if anybody else has this problem or if there is a fix for it. Also have E-mailed Tomtom about it last night. Will post there reply when i get it.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is probably worse than yours, in that it not only frequently reboots when turned on, but also does so at intervals during a longer drive (maybe I get longer journeys than you, so you haven't yet experienced that). It was dreadful with previous Navcore which required you to press "Agree" to the take care when driving notice as mine was too far away to reach whilst driving. At least it now moves on eventually without a tap.

My belief is that it is to do with the LIVE connection. I've not heard of a solution and I use three other devices instead now - shame, because it was a delight to use when I first got it - I thought TT had got it completely right for once!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see similar with a 550 - not every time. But it does seem related to Live Services - I am starting to wonder if TomTom gets the reject coders from Satyam ;)
Eastholme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 930T does the same, but only since loading 8.50. May be worth reading this thread: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=83639 for some pointers.
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest Dennis i used it from Glasgow all the way to Cheltenham and it was fine after the first reboot. When i got there i turned it off and half hour later turned it back on to go to Bristol and then FREEZE Evil or Very Mad . But that is the first and longest drive i have done with it, usually gust around Glasgow and outskirts i use it.
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a reply from TT and it involved a back up and formatting the XL. When i done the first format it failed which made me think it was faulty but then i done a quick format then that completed ok then done another full format and that completed too. I downloaded a new app and voice then put my map back on from me back up done an update and it has not failed once and have turned it off and on about ten times today. I know this description is a bit quick but will post the full description from TT later. Hope this helps others out there with the same problem.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've brought mine back into service these last two days and it hasn't misbehaved at all (apart from the millenium it takes to plan a route).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to copy and paste TT reply to me but the site here does not let me, something about BBCodes. Can someone help here, this has never happened before. Sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's an annoying little incompatibility, but it's usually quite simple to fix.

In their replies, TomTom always use the "greater than" symbol (the one above the full stop on a UK keyboard) to describe a series of menu items or button presses.

But this forum software doesn't like that symbol, it's reserved for something special.

If you edit TT's reply when you quote it, and change all their "greater thans" into something else (I usually use "/") it should work OK.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: XL LIVE reboots when turned on Reply with quote

I had mine go into a continual reboot cycle on the way to work yesterday - which only stopped when I cleared the route.

I think it is happening if you ask it to plan a route before the GPS has locked on (probably in that short period where it has woken up but hasn't worked out location is no-longer valid and hasn't changed display colours to show no GPS) - then it seems to freeze about point it would lock on, then a minute or so later starts the reboot (I think live services is involved though - maybe it can't cope with invalid location)
redvers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My XL has the same issue; after formatting the internal memory it appeared to go away for a while, but as of yesterday came back with a vengeance. It appears to be after the route is planned and it tries to hit the LIVE services for traffic that causes it...

Will give the ClearFLASH tool a go and see if that helps!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this recently and it seems that something is corrupting the first file allocation entry of "settings.dat" and it reboots until this is fixed. It even wrote a file called "newsettings.dat" yesterday. A "chkdsk /f" will clear this, but I do not know what is causing it to happen.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found with the XL LIVE IQ that it is very sensitive to being ejected cleanly from a PC.

A hasty disconnection can corrupt the filesystem and cause the above behaviour.

Had this happen a few times .........
redvers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always eject cleanly... after chkdsking and clearflashing and doing a full format and copying everything back, i thought i'd got rid of the problem... and then yesterday it happened again :-/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: