Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - are tom tom conn people??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

are tom tom conn people??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcgh2007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: are tom tom conn people?? Reply with quote

have a 720 now bought go 750 live to takeover old unit . unit was 3 years old ,old maps so on costing things out decided on new unit.
so got the new unit and decided to take advantage of FREE LATEST MAP UPDATE.

plugged my unit in and applied for latest map. yes you qualify sir HOWEVER
you have been an idiot and your internal memory is only 2gig and we have made the map 2.1gig, so you cant get the full maps you can only down load 1 of the 4 possibles that you are entitle to.

okay i think i will go and buy a 4gig card and download the FULL maps to there , good idea?, BUT i cant get it to download the maps to the sdcard it still wants me to receive only a quarter of my entitlement.

now i use my tom tom for extensive long european trips and this is not on.
i bought then new unit for maps.

i was recommended BY TOMTOM that the 750 was the BEST replacement for my purpose so why recommend a 2 gig device when the maps are 2.1GIG.

can anyone help or have i just been stupid or are tomtom as the title says???? Mad
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most TT owners would agree that that TT were flying to close to the wind by selling a device with 2GB internal memory when they must have known future releases could exceed the capacity of the device.

I don't really know why they became so obsessed with using internal memory anyway the earlier devices only had external except of course the 9 series with its internal hard drive.

I would have thought it would only cost them a very small amount to provide at least a 50% reserve to include spare internal memory and nothing for external as we the customers would just buy a bigger card.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at these threads then you'll see what you're up against.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=84189

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=84260
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite happy with the new maps as I have the western zone on the internal memory with mu UK POIs for when I'm in the UK. and the full Western Europe map with the European POIs on my SD Card for when I'm in Europe.

I downloaded the WE map by copying the application from the device to the card then putting the card into the card reader. Home then recognised the card and let me download the map. Then I deleted the application from the card and can switch between maps whenever I like.

I also have the USA map on the card.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find the application on the 750, so I can give your method a try. Confused
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't find the application on the 750

It's all the files and folders except the map folder.

Probably best to copy the whole lot (all the files and folders from the unit) however Mike Alder has posted there are issues with doing this on the x50 devices... See here
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: are tom tom conn people?? Reply with quote

dcgh2007 wrote:
okay i think i will go and buy a 4gig card and download the FULL maps to there , good idea?, BUT i cant get it to download the maps to the sdcard it still wants me to receive only a quarter of my entitlement.

If you read those threads you'll find conflicting information - Wazza failed to download, Richard succeeded but can't yet see his new map. Others succeeded no problem.

Join in the lottery yourself, by copying all internal contents onto the card, then use a card reader (NOT the 750) to get the new map and see if that works for you - it does for some people. Do the copying with the card in a reader, not in the device.

Yes, TT are stupid - they already knew they had a problem with the 2GB Europe maps not fitting on all previous devices either - they wouldn't have gone onto your 720, but your card WOULD have been successful, no hassle!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dcgh2007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT WORKS AND WORKS WELL

the girl at 08451610009 emailed me the instructions and with help from my friend it was successful.

OK here is the instructions i got and they work. Before you can update the map you need to remove it from the internal drive and put it on the SD card. Note that no map should be on the Tom Tom -

If you are installing one of the large European maps then a zoned map will be offered in HOME. If you have enough space on your internal memory the full map will also be shown as an option.

In order to install this full map HOME will calculate the space that you have and suggest to remove additional items*.

*Please note that if HOME suggests removing a map we strongly recommend that you make a backup.

To install the full map on a new SD card, your current map must be on that SD card. In order to transfer your current map to the SD card:

- Click Manage my device in TomTom HOME and select the Items on device tab.
- Expand Maps and then select the map you want to transfer.
- Click Remove item from device.
- Click OK to delete the map.
- Click Continue to save a copy of the map on your computer. HOME saves a copy of the map on your computer and then deletes the map from your device.
- From the Device drop-down menu, click Change device.
- A screen with the available memory locations opens.
- Select the memory card.
- To copy the map to the memory card click Add Traffic, Voices, Safety Cameras etc. - Items on my computer.
- Select the Map and click Add.
- Once the map has copied to the SD card, click Update my Go.
- Tick the box next to the map and then click Update and install. Click Done.

Your new map is now installed on your new SD card.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: