Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - which used tomtom go?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

which used tomtom go?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelawnet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: which used tomtom go? Reply with quote

Was looking at getting a TomTom Go, not sure which to get...

From what I see the x20, x30, x40 and x50 all have the same screen, RAM and CPU.

I heard that after updating navcore, the software is the same between say a 520 and a 940. (obviously there are some hardware differences such as rds-tmc) Is this correct?

I can get:

520 £75
920 £105

or a newer model for more.

Any thoughts?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The app for a 520 is NOT the same as for a 940. The latest for a 520 is 8.351 and has been that for a year, buggy as it is. It is not expected that there will ever be an app upgrade for Go x20 or x30 models.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for the x50 range purely for the free 1 year traffic etc etc
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live services and HD Traffic are only available with x40 and x50 devices, so that should narrow down your choice, one way or another.
thelawnet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I bought a GO 550, new, for £115.

I'm currently road-testing it against a Garmin nuvi 1690.
Saif-Rehman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelawnet wrote:

A tomtom go550 live for £115? - where from may i ask?
thelawnet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saif-Rehman wrote:
thelawnet wrote:

A tomtom go550 live for £115? - where from may i ask?

CeX, in-store. Just a one-off I'm afraid, probably stolen and sold to them for quick cash..... They buy at £57 and sell at £115, so you'd have to be pretty dumb to sell BNIB at that price.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelawnet wrote:
CeX, in-store. Just a one-off I'm afraid, probably stolen and sold to them for quick cash.....

If you support that sort of trade, I suppose you'll be happy enough to pay it all over again when yours gets stolen. Keep your fingers crossed that it never goes wrong, because any repairer might check it against the police database of stolen satnavs and at best you'd not get it back, at worst you might be answering questions about receiving stolen goods.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Saif-Rehman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
thelawnet wrote:
CeX, in-store. Just a one-off I'm afraid, probably stolen and sold to them for quick cash.....

If you support that sort of trade, I suppose you'll be happy enough to pay it all over again when yours gets stolen. Keep your fingers crossed that it never goes wrong, because any repairer might check it against the police database of stolen satnavs and at best you'd not get it back, at worst you might be answering questions about receiving stolen goods.

A bit strong words DennisN if i may say.
Police have a database of stolen satnavs? I don't for a minute think they will be interested in using manpower in chasing louts for sat-navs. Another point in regards to buying from the likes of CeX or any pawnbrokers, surely the onus is on the retailer not to buy stolen goods rather than the public who buy from them and if it did turn out to be stolen then surely the retailer gets done and the buyer will get his money back from the retailer.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saif-Rehman wrote:

Your words - "Probably stolen". I don't approve of thieves and don't approve of buying stolen goods to support them.

Stolen goods means somebody has suffered probably far more than the simple loss of the goods - broken house windows done by the burglar (it happened to me and cost me far more than the value of all the goods stolen), broken nose done by the mugger, smashed car window. Think how YOU will feel if it ever happens to you and wonder if it was done by the person who stole the "probably stolen" 550 you've got which helped him do it again. If we all turn to thievery, where's all the stuff coming from for us to steal?

It could just as easily have been cashed in by some genuine owner who has fallen on hard times. But if you suggest (and thereby apparently condone) "probably stolen", you invite my strong words!

You'll probably find that the CeX has a signed statement saying that the seller was the legal owner and legally entitled to sell it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
thelawnet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Saif-Rehman wrote:

Your words - "Probably stolen". I don't approve of thieves and don't approve of buying stolen goods to support them.

Stolen goods means somebody has suffered probably far more than the simple loss of the goods - broken house windows done by the burglar (it happened to me and cost me far more than the value of all the goods stolen), broken nose done by the mugger, smashed car window. Think how YOU will feel if it ever happens to you and wonder if it was done by the person who stole the "probably stolen" 550 you've got which helped him do it again. If we all turn to thievery, where's all the stuff coming from for us to steal?

It could just as easily have been cashed in by some genuine owner who has fallen on hard times. But if you suggest (and thereby apparently condone) "probably stolen", you invite my strong words!

Eh?

Like I explained, it was brand new in box. So it's very unlikely to have come from a genuine owner fallen on hard times. It's as you would buy it in a shop, which is perhaps where it came from.

The reality is if you go to any second-hand retailer a proportion of the stuff will have been stolen. There's nothing you can do about that, and you can't very well say 'Someone must have been MAD to sell that brand new TomTom 550 for £57, they must be a druggie selling stolen goods'. You are 100% entitled to believe that they have good title for all the stuff they are selling.

I went in the shop because it was listed as available in my local store at £115, and when I went to pay, instead of getting a used device, as you would expect in such a store, I got a brand new one.

Quote:
You'll probably find that the CeX has a signed statement saying that the seller was the legal owner and legally entitled to sell it.

No idea. I've sold stuff there before, they don't take signed statements as a matter of course, but they do have your name and address.

It's possible of course that somebody got it as a birthday present and didn't want it (couple of years back I bought my Dad a TomTom and ended up selling it on Ebay because he doesn't hold with such things), and just took it down the shop. Or it could be it's stolen. Clearly these shops must provide some support for trade in stolen goods, it doesn't mean I've done something wrong by buying what turned out to be a new one for a cheap price, and which turns out to have been bought for an ever cheaper price by CeX.
thelawnet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway, here are my thoughts on the Tomtom 550 vs the Garmin 1690.

Price - Garmin wins. 1690 is available for £160 shipped, with European maps. 550, with UK maps. TomTom 550 is £170, with UK/Ireland only. 750 is £200 with European maps.

Routing UI - TomTom UI is clearer, but the predictive search on the Garmin is a big win (as soon as you enter sufficient letters to narrow the city/street down to four choices, it will list them.

Speed for routing - route to John o Groats took under 30 seconds for the Garmin, but the TomTom took over two minutes. Too slow!

POIs - Garmin has a nice list, offering RHS Wisley, Woking Park, Brooklands,Mitchell Studio Gallery (?), Chertsey Museum, Elmbridge Museum, Guildford Flames Ice Hockey, Queens Royal Surrey Regiment, Clandon Park, Lightwater Country Park, Stoke Park, Surrey Cricket, Dapdune Wharf, and Thorpe Park, all within 6 miles. TomTom manages only Clandon Park and Hatchlands Park. Win for Garmin, both need expansion however.

Mapping - both seem ok, but I prefer the TomTom for clarity, also seems to have more off-road features such as rivers.

Routing accuracy - both gave me the same route to a destination five miles distant, but the Garmin turned a 1 mile route on a 30mph quiet residential road into a 1.5 mile route using two 40mph A roads. Not smart. The Garmin has shorter ETAs than the TomTom. I think the TomTom wins here for more realistic ETAs. Also the Garmin does not show distance to destination while driving, only the ETA.

Spoken instructions - both fine.

On screen directions - the TomTom is clearer, the distances to the next turning on the Garmin appear closer than they really are.

Voice activation -- not on the Garmin. TomTom's fairly annoying, and low accuracy, so won't use it. No difference there then.

Internet-connected features - the Garmin has a much better implementation of Google Local search, you can search for Food, Libraries, Lodging, Shopping, cinema listings, all as individual searchable categories. TomTom just has a free text search. TomTom should copy this in a software update.

Ecorouting - Garmin does a much better job here, you can enter your fuel consumption urban/motorway and it will inform you the cost of each journey, plus it rates your driving efficiency. Does mileage reports and you can update it with the cost of fuel and miles done between fill-ups. TomTom should copy.

Traffic - still need to test both here for comparison, haven't encountered any major traffic yet.

Pedestrian/bike - The Garmin is superior here with track logging (handy when you're not sure what road you're on) and ability to route across land (straight line routing).

Worldwide - Garmin is much better as there are Garmin and user-generated maps for more countries and areas than with TomTom. Handy if you want a map of Bali for instance.

Overall both are fine, the Garmin has more features and is better value, I am used to the TomTom interface however, so it's hard for me to say whether it is objectively as much better as it feels.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelawnet Many thanks for posting the results of your comparison. Lots of good information.
Regards,
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
thelawnet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, I've returned the Garmin, mainly because it cost me more than the TomTom. The Garmin is objectively better, as it's cheaper at RRP and has more features (although no voice recognition).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: