Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems getting started on Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems getting started on Android

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Problems getting started on Android Reply with quote

I am off to the USA next week so thought I would try copilot for Android since it is only $20. Bought it through Android market and downlaoded it and set up an account and installed it. Asked me if I wanted to download US maps so hit "yes" then the problems started.

After a minute or so I get an error message and it closes down. Now when I try opening it the main screen comes up and then a few seconds later another screen appears for a second or so saying something about download failed and do I want to continue, with yes and no boxes. Then, no matter how quick I am it suddenly disappears and copilot closes down. No matter how often I try this happens and I can't get any further.

I have also tried Copilot Central on my PC but when I log in it tells me I have no updates and no maps, and wants me to sell me again the US maps I have already bought.

I have tried logging a message with their support via Copilot Central, but they are not known for their speedy response. So can any of you experts help me with this please. If I don't sort out by tomorrow at about 7pm I will uninstall it and get my money back from Google
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Android & CoPilot Live 8 Reply with quote

If you have registered your CoPilot 8 in the last 60 days you can use telephone support (I think its 9-5) on 0871 6412 540.

When I've had problems I've found the telephone customer services very helpful.

If more than 60 days, or if you can't contact 9-5 go to http://www.alk.eu.com/support/copilot-support/index-uk.htm. This gives a page of FAQ's & manuals but see below "NEED MORE HELP" select "ASK A QUESTION" this puts you into the e-mail question system & gives the telephone number as above.

At some point you will have to register with cutomer support, but I can't remember at what point, where they will reply (although they also repled to me directly via e-mail).

Hope this helps
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duddy

thanks for this, but I emailed the problem to Alk in exactly the way they told me on their website (and I could find no mention of a phone number). That was 2 days ago and I have still heard diddy squat from them.

So I uninstalled and got my money back, like many others if you read the feedback on Android Market.
Copilot for USA
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that peterc10 I found CoPilot 8 to work well on my HTC Legend (so long as I don't need a mobile data connection).

The problem you have found (and me) was caused by the Market.

I had a lot of trouble, when I first downloaded this from the matket, it kept asking me to re-register when I started it out on the road, lost it's registration and kept throwing me back to a trial version (any number of trial days between 8 & 15). It was only solved when CoPilot telephone support issued me with another registration which allowed me to download CoPilot from the web and install it via compter to the Legend. I've had little trouble since. It has only failed once but re-inputting the registration allowed it to continue as normal, you can't do this with a market installation you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to get it to work again.

If anyone is thinking of buying CoPilot for android DON'T buy it thru the market buy it via the web, it's a lot more stable.
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duddy

thanks for further reply.

I am pretty sure it was not a market problem. I had got it downloaded and it accepted my registration and the software was installed and running. Then it asked me to download the maps and threw a wobbly early on. After that I could never get past the start up screen - it just kept throwing me out without me doing anything.

The problem buying direct from ALK is that it costs more than the market. The market is $19.99 for US maps. Direct download costs me either $29.99, if I tell them I am in the USA, or £19.99, if I tell them I am in the UK.
Copilot for USA
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bit the bullet and splashed out my £20. However now I foresee another problem now I have read the installation instructions (which I did not get until I had paid!).

It appears that Copilot wants me to put a folder called 2577 in the main directory of my SD card. But I already have one in there of the same name for my Sygic Mobile Maps. If I overwite it will that muck up my Sygic?

There must be an answer because I know lots of you experts have more than one sat nav system on the same phone. So how do you do it. Should I put Copilot's 2577 in the Copilot folder rather than the main directory? And what exactly is this 2577 folder for - now I come to think of it Tom Tom 6 on my Touch Diamond had a folder of the same name.

My phone is an HTC Hero running Android 2.1.
Copilot for USA
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK got the answer from Copilot support this morning. Seems the 2577 folder is only for installing in Windows phones, not Android, so I don't need it.

All installed and working now. Has a very different interface to the TT and Sygic, but I expect I will get used to it.

I have a separate question on the camera warnings, but will ask that in new thread.
Copilot for USA

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: