Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hiking in Canada with the Pocket PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hiking in Canada with the Pocket PC
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: After all, iSun wasn't helpful , so I read ... Reply with quote

Blackbird wrote:
To my surprise you didn' have much help from it.

It surprised me as well. I am using the iSun since about two years, and it works beautifully in Texas (wasn't that good in Germany). On the other hand, when you are hiking in the rain there is not much to be surprised about. The iSun's just not as effective under poor lighting.

Other people could argue that a crank radio would require you to be able to turn the handle. But then again you are hiking... The ideal solution would be a hiking boot with built-in shock absorber that would simultaneously work as an energy source. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "power walk".

Other alternatives (that I am awaiting impatiently) are fuel cells that can be powered by lighter fuel or propane. Slowly but steadily they make their way into consumer electronics....

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
bezerker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the Otter Box Lutz Reply with quote

Thanks for the Otter Box Lutz it arrived today. Thumbs Up
berniejconnors
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Chinook Centre Time capsule has wrong coordinates Reply with quote

Lutz,

It has been a while since your article "Hiking in Canada with the Pocket PC" was published at pocketgpsworld.com but I just read it last week (very good article by the way). I attempted to solve your quiz about the time capsule even though I was sure the answer was probably already posted in the comments. Being a GIS professional I took the coordinates from the photo of the time capsule and I formed a URL for Google Maps:

http://local.google.com/local?f=q&ie=UTF8&q=51.081944+-114.09555+(Time+Capsule+here?)&z=12&hl=en&t=h&iwloc=A&om=1

I figured the coordinates would show me exactly which building housed the time capsule. But when I looked at the hi-res satellite image the location was in the middle of a sports field and none of the nearby buildings looked "grand" enough to have such an elaborate time capsule.

Then I read the comments for your article and found that the time capsule was in the Chinook Centre. I quickly found the Chinook Centre and discovered that the CORRECT coordinates for the time capsule are approximately:

N 50-59-53, W 114-04-25

That is a whopping error of 9.5 kilometres. I found this error so incredible that I e-mailed the administration of the Chinook Centre. The Chinook Centre is owned by a company called Cadillac-Fairview. I received a reply from Cadillac-Fairview and they told me they were unaware of the error and they were quite embarrassed and they were looking into correcting the time capsule.

I was surprised that nobody else had reported this problem to Cadillac-Fairview. Are you aware of other readers like me who have noticed the error?

Thanks,
Bernie.
tchart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bernie

Good catch! I wonder how they will rectify the time capsule? It looks pretty rock solid to me.

Wikipedia lists the co-ordinates of the Chinook centre as 50°59′53.8″N, 114°04′26.1″W

Being a GIS professional like yourself I can only laugh at this blunder Laughing

I would have thought some one would have double checked the co-ordinates! Hopefully a surveyor didnt do it!

One thing I thought could be the issue is whether the lat/long is in a datum other than WGS84. Since the capsule was for the year 2000 this is probably unlikley.

Another theory is that they located it with a GPS when selective availability was still on but if it is 9.5km out thats probably unlikey too.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Trevor
berniejconnors
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Wrong co-ordinates for time capsule Reply with quote

Maybe the time capsule designer just grabbed some coordinates from a database such as the Canadian Geographic Names Data Base?

Bernie.
tchart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, those databases are notorious for being wrong!

In New Zealand our digital "Place Names Database" came from digitising the bottom left of the place name text from a 1:50000 map series.

While they server their purpose in a GIS map they arent any good for navigation!

Trevor
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have thought of trying my GPS receiver when looking at the capsule. Well, will do it next time when I am in Calgary. You never know, tectonic movement and stuff.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
berniejconnors
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Chinnok Centre Time Capsule Reply with quote

Here is a quote from the Chinook Centre website:

" While the idea belongs to Russell Zied, the actual creator of the various elements of the time capsule was Canadian artist, Ludzer Vandermolen.

A digital clock set in the capsule's cover plate (also created by Vandermolen) displays the current time and Chinook Centre's precise position on the planet as it winds its way up to the next millennium and its opening on December 31st, 2999."

I wonder if the Chinook Centre will get a refund from Ludzer Vandermolen? Maybe next time they will hire a local artist to design their time capsule. The tiny bit of information I was able to find with Google indicates that Ludzer Vandermolen lives in Toronto, about 2700 km from Calgary.

Bernie.
Bernie Connors, P. Eng.
45°58'41"N, 66°35'21"W

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: